Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

"The area for the stadium will be pretty tight, because the six blocks run quite long but are narrow, but they've come up with a rough design that shows the area can adequately serve a stadium," says Luck, who points out that the proposed downtown rail line extension would stop at the north end of the venue."

That's great - the area itself is barely large enough for a stadium. You would think they would try and identify an area that didn't force them to squeeze and scrimp to make it work.

That's great - the area itself is barely large enough for a stadium. You would think they would try and identify an area that didn't force them to squeeze and scrimp to make it work.

it's all a setup for Houston's next Engineering Marvel

:P:wub:

They should just put it by TSU-- since TSU will be playing in the stadium too. I'd love to see several acres of land by TSU turned into a stadium and parking lots!

I'll second that one. They may have found land for a stadium but there was obviously no planning on the parking side for the proposed area!

I think they plan to share parking with Astros? There is hardly ever over lap in games so no big deal.

Plus the crowds are much smaller at 20,000 so should not be a problem.

Lets just get the stadium done, its too important for all sorts of economic / social / prestige to Houston etc reasons to mess around any longer

I'll second that one. They may have found land for a stadium but there was obviously no planning on the parking side for the proposed area!

Ducky, I understand you don't want this stadium in your back yard, but you really should check your facts. They have indeed made plans "on the parking side for the proposed area". They will use the Astros lots. As HoustonRanger said above, the Dynamo stadium will be approximately 1/2 the size of MinuteMaid Park, so there should not be much of a problem (plus there will be a Metro Rail station at one end of the Dynamo Stadium, providing additional relief.

Maybe in the rest of the country, soccer isn't relevant - But Houston is part of the exception due to the high Latin American expat population.

As soon as soccer becomes relevant in the US. Keep waiting...not yet...

Maybe in the rest of the country, soccer isn't relevant - But Houston is part of the exception due to the high Latin American expat population.

Which is why the choice of old Chinatown and a predominantly Vietnamese area makes lots of sense. :huh:

Don't turn on ESPN or in 30 minutes, then...or tomorrow afternoon.

Oh, or tomorrow night. Or this weekend.

EDIT: IT'S RELEVANT NOW!!!!!!!

US Stuns #1 Spain!

Only because we won A game...it'll go away as quickly as it was interesting. Soccer needs more stats, there's nothing to follow except goals, and those are so few and far between there's nothing to cover. When missed shots are highlights, your sport is lame.

I am glad they are building the stadium, it's good for the area. I might even go to a game because I heard they are fun.

The demographics of your ZIP code seem to undercut your argument.

http://www.movoto.com/neighborhood/tx/houston/77003.htm

I agree with what you're saying, but in all fairness, those demographics are obsolete.

And Ducky, there were historically plenty of ethnically Asian businesses in the east downtown warehouse district, but--as the description suggests--there was never really a huge Asian population.

The thread subtitle could use a change, barring some cataclysmic development.

And seeing as the stadium site is within walking distance of the Second Ward, it's definitely convenient to at least one large segment of the Latino community.

Edited by arisegundo

The COH is on the Planning Commissions agenda today for the Amateur Sports Park. This is heavily tied into the Dynamo, right?

I'm guessing if they're going forward on this, the stadium is as good as done. That's what I'd like to think at least.

"The COH is on the Planning Commissions agenda today for the Amateur Sports Park. This is heavily tied into the Dynamo, right?"

Sorry, can you explain what this is? what amatuer sports park? Is this this youth park / training facility for dynamo or something?

Any links or more info on this? Would love to see it done, a city the size of Houston desperately needs more youth facilities

"The COH is on the Planning Commissions agenda today for the Amateur Sports Park. This is heavily tied into the Dynamo, right?"

Sorry, can you explain what this is? what amatuer sports park? Is this this youth park / training facility for dynamo or something?

Any links or more info on this? Would love to see it done, a city the size of Houston desperately needs more youth facilities

The sport complex is the training facility (around 288 & beltway 8), they're somewhat seperated though. Will also serve as youth/public facilities built in conjunction with COH, HCC & a church. More info/cross reference: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/in...showtopic=16543 and http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...ml?ana=from_rss

I agree with what you're saying, but in all fairness, those demographics are obsolete.

And Ducky, there were historically plenty of ethnically Asian businesses in the east downtown warehouse district, but--as the description suggests--there was never really a huge Asian population.

I'm just talking about the immediate area around the proposed site. I can walk to a number of Asian grocery stores and restaurants. It's just what is right there. If you go a couple of miles from there, yes you'll find a broad demographic and some great Hispanic neighborhoods.

I'm just talking about the immediate area around the proposed site. I can walk to a number of Asian grocery stores and restaurants. It's just what is right there. If you go a couple of miles from there, yes you'll find a broad demographic and some great Hispanic neighborhoods.

You can't live at a grocery store or restaurant. Old predominantly-Hispanic Second Ward neighborhoods are within 1/4-mile of the stadium site, however, just across the railroad tracks, in the vicinity of Settegast Park. Predominantly-black neighborhoods don't kick in until about a mile away, either to the northeast or south, and they're separated from the stadium's neighborhood by freeways and a veritable river.