Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

I suspect the image isn't of accurate proportion and that the stadium will appear to be noticeably taller than that in real life.

If they sink it into the ground they shouldn't need to go above 4 or 5 stories. Anything taller would be overkill. And those silly white tents they put on everything these days (airports, etc) are probably great during hurricanes.

Well its a soccer-specific stadium in the US, and with these types of stadiums quality isn't as much as a priority...

although newer MLS stadiums are reversing this trend....

besides its a nice,subtle design....

At this stage its more of a question of just lets get this thing built and keep the team here in Houston where they belong; sadly any other considerations are now secondary. So if this means that we have to compromise on aesthetics etc then so be it.

Go Dynamo!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

In the spirit of building a new stadium, I found this book that might be an interesting read...

Field of Schemes is a play-by-play account of how the drive for new sports stadiums and arenas drains $2 billion a year from public treasuries for the sake of private profit. While the millionaires who own sports franchises have seen the value of their assets soar under this scheme, taxpayers, urban residents, and sports fans have all come out losers, forced to pay both higher taxes and higher ticket prices for seats that, thanks to the layers of luxury seating that typify new stadiums, usually offer a worse view of the action. The stories in Field of Schemes, from Baltimore to Cleveland and Minneapolis to Seattle and dozens of places in between, tell of the sports-team owners who use their money and their political muscle to get their way, and of the stories of spirited local groupsā€”like Detroitā€™s Tiger Stadium Fan Club and Bostonā€™s Save Fenway Park!ā€”that have fought to save the games we love and the public dollars our cities need.

212-673388-Product_LargeToMediumImage.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

wow, I can't see how they don't pull the trigger on the stadium.

$20,000,000 in infrastructure (replace old and busted with new hotness) that the city pays.

$60,000,000 for the stadium that the dynamo itself pays.

and the city and county will own the stadium?

why is this even a question, both projects, the infrastructure, and the stadium itself will create jobs and revenue in the city, not to mention the jobs and revenue that are created specific to the area that would be seen after completion.

maybe I'm missing something?

or is it an all or nothing kind of deal where all 4 things are part of the same thing? that would suck.

• 1 month later...

Hey lockmat. Do you know where this is going?

It's in or near Pearland. There's a map at the link below. I also found this at the link:

Houston Amateur Sports Park

In late 2007, the Houston Parks Board identified and negotiated the favorable acquisition of approximately 100 acres for what is planned to be the first of several large sports parks strategically located around the City to satisfy the deficit of public sports fields. Following acquisition funded by the City of Houston, the Houston Parks Board, working with the support of the City of Houston and the Houston Dynamo, is developing the Park. This public amateur sports park will provide much-needed facilities for thousands of Houstonians to enjoy organized athletic activities in the years ahead.

The Houston Amateur Sports Park is anticipated to be developed in two phases and includes 18 multi-use fields that can accommodate soccer, football, lacrosse and rugby. In Phase I, 45 acres will be developed encompassing one grass championship field and six rectangular, multi-sport, grass or artificial turf fields. Phase I is estimated to cost $10 million. In Phase II, the remaining 65 acres will be constructed, bringing an additional 10 rectangular, multi-sport fields on-line. The projected cost of this phase is $20 million, including parking, additional concessions, and other amenities.

I know voting for a candidate based on 1 issue is wrong, but it looks like Locke is pro-stadium development, and Parker isnt...

It might seem like years ago, but it's actually been only about six weeks since City Controller

Annise Parker released her first TV ad, which suggested her opponents were making fiscally reckless promises: "I won't raise taxes or cut police to fund more stadiums or museums we can't afford," Parker said in the ad.

Now the stadium, if not the proposed Hispanic museum, is surfacing again as Parker's runoff opponent, former City Attorney

Gene Locke, spreads the message that voters who want a new stadium for Houston's professional soccer team should support him.

Blogger David Ortez

reports that representatives of Locke's campaign were at Sunday's Dynamo game against the Seattle Sounders, passing out flyers suggesting that Parker opposed a new stadium for the team while Locke supported the idea.

http://blogs.chron.c..._stadium_1.html

FYI, the Dynamo are heading to the Western Conference Finals(for the 3rd time in 4 seasons) against the LA Galaxy.

Go Dynamobiggrin.gif

Edited by citizen4rmptown

It's in or near Pearland. There's a map at the link below. I also found this at the link:

Houston Amateur Sports Park

In late 2007, the Houston Parks Board identified and negotiated the favorable acquisition of approximately 100 acres for what is planned to be the first of several large sports parks strategically located around the City to satisfy the deficit of public sports fields. Following acquisition funded by the City of Houston, the Houston Parks Board, working with the support of the City of Houston and the Houston Dynamo, is developing the Park. This public amateur sports park will provide much-needed facilities for thousands of Houstonians to enjoy organized athletic activities in the years ahead.

The Houston Amateur Sports Park is anticipated to be developed in two phases and includes 18 multi-use fields that can accommodate soccer, football, lacrosse and rugby. In Phase I, 45 acres will be developed encompassing one grass championship field and six rectangular, multi-sport, grass or artificial turf fields. Phase I is estimated to cost $10 million. In Phase II, the remaining 65 acres will be constructed, bringing an additional 10 rectangular, multi-sport fields on-line. The projected cost of this phase is $20 million, including parking, additional concessions, and other amenities.

Looks like it's on the north bank of Sims bayou just west of 288.

well im basing it on that commercial that she said "we wont fund any museums or stadiums we cant afford."

I did read it carefully, and read the part where the chron says they asked Parker to clarify her position.

I wouldn't read too much into a statement like that in a commercial. That's just posturing about being fiscally responsible.

Annise Parker is the controller...she knows we don't have the money.

Except that no City money is required. The City has already purchased the land, which is all they agreed to do. The Dynamo are proposing to put millions into upgrading our City land into a stadium. Annise can keep her promise without shutting down the stadium project.

• Like 2