The Shops At Arrive: Mixed-Use Development At 2800 Kirby Dr.

Maybe Chuy's will move into West Ave. I'll miss Chuy's if it's gone... :(

It's for the best. That spot was way too crowded and minimal parking. They may be the ones more than happy to leave. I bet they have a super loyal clientel that will follow them anywhere in town. :D

Gottaget recent pics of this area.

It's for the best. That spot was way too crowded and minimal parking. They may be the ones more than happy to leave. I bet they have a super loyal clientel that will follow them anywhere in town. :D

Gottaget recent pics of this area.

I am a loyal Chuy's customer, have eaten there for 15 years, and eat there a couple times a month. I wouldn't follow them further out of the loop than Buffalo Speedway. Weird, huh?

I am a loyal Chuy's customer, have eaten there for 15 years, and eat there a couple times a month. I wouldn't follow them further out of the loop than Buffalo Speedway. Weird, huh?

also going there since they opened (1992 i think?) and go there about 2 times a WEEK or more...

not sure how far i would or wouldnt follow them, i just hope they stay within a 2 mile radius

;)

This is starting to turn into a Chuy's thread :lol:

I'm not quite sure the fate of the land Chuy's sits on... but here's what I know:

1. West Ave Phase II will likely continue southward, towards West Alabama...

2. Lets say a Phase III could be in the developers heads, but we haven't even seen Phase I open yet for residents or retailers to see how well business goes. After Phase II is constructed that may be it.

3. Chuy's, including its parking lot is a drop in the bucket in size compared to West Ave. in its entirety. Building III by itself is a hair bigger than that etire plot of land. If West Ave. acquires it, what would they use it for? Only thing I can think of is additional parking? Could it really be used for another, slightly smaller building, or perhaps if they took over the shopping center where Buffalo Hardware is for a larger building? Ideas?

Finally, I phrase this as more of a question than a statement... but there is plenty of space on the backside of West Ave. to do something with, west of the parking garage (the spot that used to be all the tennis courts). So far all I see are trailers and construction equipment. What is this abundant space going to be used for after Phase I is completed?

And here's a good reference for any project: Google Maps: Greater Houston Area Projects and Construction

The Satellite view on West Ave. is super old as of the day I post this, but its a good reference as far as size.

And here's a good reference for any project: Google Maps: Greater Houston Area Projects and Construction

The Satellite view on West Ave. is super old as of the day I post this, but its a good reference as far as size.

maps.live.com has apparently updated some bird's eye shots since the last time I checked - gives a good perspective on just how large the West Ave development is:

Link

What's strange is if you move around too much, suddenly the older images appear again

What's strange is if you move around too much, suddenly the older images appear again

Thanks for that link... I already have and will be playing with the bird's eye view for hours now.

Yea, I noticed that, they haven't updated some of the view angles on some of the views, so that's why it changes back to the old when you're rotating the view. I guess most would consider this a flaw, but in this case its a feature! Lets you really see how Kirby from Alabama to Westheimer has changed in just a few years, and even the new images are kinda old now (2727 was still approaching the 20th floor being constructed in these).

Off-topic, but with them being able to capture these images from so many different angles, the next version of Flight Simulator better be nothing short of immaculately detailed. :P

3. Chuy's, including its parking lot is a drop in the bucket in size compared to West Ave. in its entirety. Building III by itself is a hair bigger than that etire plot of land. If West Ave. acquires it, what would they use it for? Only thing I can think of is additional parking? Could it really be used for another, slightly smaller building, or perhaps if they took over the shopping center where Buffalo Hardware is for a larger building? Ideas?

Finally, I phrase this as more of a question than a statement... but there is plenty of space on the backside of West Ave. to do something with, west of the parking garage (the spot that used to be all the tennis courts). So far all I see are trailers and construction equipment. What is this abundant space going to be used for after Phase I is completed?

FWIW, the rumblings I heard regarding Chuy's involved the Buffalo Hardware center as well as the center to the west with Rickshaw. Those parcels together are a sizable, if oddly shaped, chunk.

I don't know the plan for the old tennis court section but I thought there was an earlier rendering with stuff on that. That whole area is changing so rapidly it is amazing. I think the building housing Avalon Diner and Westheimer Plumbing is toast too. Exciting to see if you ask me, though it is sad to see some stalwart businesses fall by the wayside.

Thanks for the pics.

This place looks awesome so far. No qualifications...

It just bothers me that this looks WAY better than the Houston Pavilions, yet it does not get the recognition it deserves.

Here's one (can't find anything else):

http://www.urbanpartners.com/westave.html

the music in the video is a complete cheese fest! Stupid generic techno music.

They don't need to try that hard.

It just bothers me that this looks WAY better than the Houston Pavilions, yet it does not get the recognition it deserves.

I second that. But I believe it will. HP and West Ave. have their differences, visually West Ave. wins hands down IMO...

I watched the rendering animation again (muted btw, simple as that :lol: ), the finished product is looking better than the renderings. Again back to the palm trees... West Ave. doesn't strike me as a tropical resort, nor a venue out of Southern California (those are the feelings palms give me at least). I'd like to see them choose something that can work in all seasons, as well as be Decked out in lights during the holidays (similar to Highland Village, but just not with Palms).

And something I noticed at the end of the animation on the Urban Partners West Ave. website I hadn't noticed before:

"Grand Opening for Phase I, February 1 09."

"Phase II opening in 1st Quarter 2010"

I second that. But I believe it will. HP and West Ave. have their differences, visually West Ave. wins hands down IMO...

I watched the rendering animation again (muted btw, simple as that :lol: ), the finished product is looking better than the renderings. Again back to the palm trees... West Ave. doesn't strike me as a tropical resort, nor a venue out of Southern California (those are the feelings palms give me at least). I'd like to see them choose something that can work in all seasons, as well as be Decked out in lights during the holidays (similar to Highland Village, but just not with Palms).

Glad to hear another person share my dislike of palm trees in Houston. They should have went with some oaks trees, Houston style.

And something I noticed at the end of the animation on the Urban Partners West Ave. website I hadn't noticed before:

"Grand Opening for Phase I, February 1 09."

"Phase II opening in 1st Quarter 2010"

Isn't that the first confirmation fof plans to build Phase II immediately after Phase I?

I know there has been a lot of talk about Phase II around here, but I hadn't heard anything concrete on the plans.

Isn't that the first confirmation fof plans to build Phase II immediately after Phase I?

I know there has been a lot of talk about Phase II around here, but I hadn't heard anything concrete on the plans.

I have heard that slow retail leasing and a difficult financing environment will likely result in delays on the start of Phase Two. I think that they'd like to fill up and stabilize Phase One first.