The Shops At Arrive: Mixed-Use Development At 2800 Kirby Dr.

• 1 month later...

They began construction on Phase II yesterday (Friday 4/13). Permits are posted and plenty of heavy equipment was feverishly working when I visited a friend who lives in Phase 1. They already had a pretty good sized hole in the ground.

West Ave is an awesome development!

• Like 2

Yeah they've started on the fenced in section north of Kipling. The permit sign says Phase II so apparently the two phases were switched at some point as noted in an earlier post, besides it wouldn't make much sense to start Phase III before Phase II. IMO the very fact that any section would start "second" would make it phase "2" regardless of what it was initially titled LOL.

It doesn't appear any retail is included in this new phase, but I'm ok with that because they have plenty of retail in the 1st phase (almost 200,000 SQFT).

• 4 weeks later...

proj1876.jpg

proj1877.jpg

The second phase of the West Ave development in River Oaks is a 288,389 s.f. mid-rise apartment project with 305 housing units. The eight-story, concrete structure with attached garage will have 640 parking spaces, 157 of which will be for retail use from Phase 1.The project finish will consist of mostly brick with accents of Arriscraft and terra-cotta. The design will feature an interior courtyard with swimming pool, outdoor kitchen and living room, lounge, theater, fitness center, dining/wine room and is estimated to complete June 2013.

Edited by lockmat

It's beautiful. Eight stories, built to the sidewalk line. Nothing more to ask. Build these up and down Kirby.

proj1876.jpg

proj1877.jpg

The second phase of the West Ave development in River Oaks is a 288,389 s.f. mid-rise apartment project with 305 housing units. The eight-story, concrete structure with attached garage will have 640 parking spaces, 157 of which will be for retail use from Phase 1.The project finish will consist of mostly brick with accents of Arriscraft and terra-cotta. The design will feature an interior courtyard with swimming pool, outdoor kitchen and living room, lounge, theater, fitness center, dining/wine room and is estimated to complete June 2013.

Quoted since my last comment put these pics on the previous page.

Edited by woolie
  • Like 1

It's beautiful. Eight stories, built to the sidewalk line. Nothing more to ask. Build these up and down Kirby.

Quoted since my last comment put these pics on the previous page.

I agree Kirby Drive/ Allen Parkway has the potential to be THE premiere back bone of the city of Houston. Imagine it in 20 years, starting from Downtown, snaking around the buffalo bayou park improvements, a dense vibrant Regent Square, through picturesque river oaks, into a dense upper Kirby, up to the Rice Village and on to Reliant.

Kirby will be our Broadway...how do we want it to look?

• Like 1

I'm a little surprised there isn't more reaction to renderings that to my knowledge have not been released on HAIF yet.

I wonder how long until phase III begins construction. Do we know if it will have office or retail space?

I think the lack of reaction is due to the fact that it looks like every other Gables property currently under development. Let me be clear I like the design, but it doesn't offer anything new.

I agree - it's not overwhelming. But I am glad it is happening and I like it for what it is. I think this is exactly what Houston needs a lot more of right now. Dense infilling. It's a good height - it's not 3 or 4 stories. Now all we need is a couple hundred more blocks to be developed like this inside the loop taking out all the cheesy two-story townhomes, run-down apartemnts, strip centers, and non-historic obsolete houses over the next 10 years or so and Houston will have the critical mass for what people on HAIF (me included) really want to see - fancy new gleaming skyscrapers.

I hope to see a lot more like it.

• Like 1

I think the lack of reaction is due to the fact that it looks like every other Gables property currently under development. Let me be clear I like the design, but it doesn't offer anything new.

I guess I wasn't expecting reaction to the design, but just to the sign of life that the project has. Of course we knew it had already broken ground, but still. If this was not a second phase of a current project, I guess it would have received more reaction.

Renderings get alot of attention when they're posted along with the announcement of a new project. This project has already broken ground, and site plans have been available for a long time. It looks pretty much how people expected.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...