The Shops At Arrive: Mixed-Use Development At 2800 Kirby Dr.

Palm trees are so california wannabe. Houston should stick with oak trees.

Aren't palm trees native to the Gulf coast? If so, how does that make them California wannabe trees? Are the palms in Orlando or Tel Aviv or other cities with tropical climates California wannabes as well?

I don't think sticking with just oak trees is particularly authentic. I do like the live oaks when they are old and gnarly though. Palms are nice too, but I agree that they don't provide a lot of shade unless you have a whole grove of them.

Edited by Jax

Aren't palm trees native to the Gulf coast? If so, how does that make them California wannabe trees? Are the palms in Orlando or Tel Aviv or other cities with tropical climates California wannabes as well?

I don't think sticking with just oak trees is particularly authentic. I do like the live oaks when they are old and gnarly though. Palms are nice too, but I agree that they don't provide a lot of shade unless you have a whole grove of them.

Palms aren't native to Southern California. LA was simply trying to give their city a tropical feel.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/26/us/26palm.html

As far as I know, the only palm trees native to this region are Saw Palmettos, which don't get very tall.

Still, palm trees can be used properly here, as long as they are well maintained. A BAD example of this are the plantings along the Gulf Freeway.

• 4 weeks later...

When Kirby is done and all the new trees are re-planted on the outside and the new median, Kirby Dr. in this stretch will be quite beautiful.

Remember, Main St along the side of Memorial park at one time only had saplings. Now it has majestic oaks. Kirby too will have an awesome treescape.

When Kirby is done and all the new trees are re-planted on the outside and the new median, Kirby Dr. in this stretch will be quite beautiful.

Remember, Main St along the side of Memorial park at one time only had saplings. Now it has majestic oaks. Kirby too will have an awesome treescape.

Kirby will indeed be beautiful in 100 years.

Kirby will indeed be beautiful in 100 years.

BAHAHAHA!!! Nice one. Maybe they can cut it down to 50 with some miracle grow.

I'm sure this intersection will look nice, I'm hoping for it. However the trees just wont look all there initially, but the layout should be nice... the main thing I'm excited about is West Ave. and 2727 Kirby themselves.

Seems like both projects have slowed down. I'm sure much of the work has moved inside tho... West Ave. building 3 is taking a while to get enclosed, but despite that I still see progress everyday. Just seems not to be going as fast as it was... or is it just me? And the "fin" and mechanical area atop 2727 is taking some time to get done...

I read that much of the street construction was going to be on hold during the holidays to relieve traffic congestion, and that it would all resume in January. Possible this scheduled slowdown is also factored into the buildings themselves.

OOPS, yes Herman Park.

The trees on main street were planted in the late 20s.

That's 90s. But it only take about 20 for good growth to occur.

And how are the new Kirby trees to be planted any different than all the new trees in downtown after much of the street reconstruction?

• 4 weeks later...

Got this in an email...

Meet Steven and Katie Alaniz, future residents and part of the Gables West Ave CARES Team. Steven and Katie have their pulse on Houston happenings and are already making plans for 2009. Residents can expect anything from sushi classes and wine tastings to book clubs, movie and game nights. At Gables West Ave, your only problem will be which event to choose!

Scratch the new stereo off your wish list! Each apartment home at Gables West Ave will feature a built-in, state-of-the art docking station for iPods. Relax with soothing music after a long day or set the stage for entertaining with friends. No matter your preference, you can hear your favorite compilations to match any mood at the touch of a button. Learn more and stay in tune today at www.gables.com/westave.

Got this in an email...

Meet Steven and Katie Alaniz, future residents and part of the Gables West Ave CARES Team. Steven and Katie have their pulse on Houston happenings and are already making plans for 2009. Residents can expect anything from sushi classes and wine tastings to book clubs, movie and game nights. At Gables West Ave, your only problem will be which event to choose!

That sounds like a retirement community.

As for the Ipod docking stations and such, they really need to leave all that out. People who have Ipods will have docking stations. People whom like big musical sound, will already have speakers. People into home theater will already have equipment and just have to make one choice, and that is location in their unit as to where to put it, etc, etc...

West Ave. has potential, but a lot of it depends on the people who move in. I have no doubt the residential side can affect the retail side. So far these people sound like the type of folks whom get their kicks organizing events and dictating their little ideas upon people. If its simply going to be a residents thing, participate if you want and they don't affect the retail side, then they can go ahead and get their kicks as far as I'm concerned.

And Why is CARES in all caps? Does it stand for something?

Edited by Geoff8201

I don't understand why the new Gables West Ave retirement community is scheduling activities. Isn't the whole point that they're to enjoy the short pedestrian- friendly walk to amenities like the wine bar, martini bar, gastropub and gourmet pizza bar?

they will be too busy to enjoy these.

Steven and Katie have their pulse on Houston
sounds like they will be taking pulses. LOL Edited by musicman

My mom moved into one of the last single story ranches back in that Upper Kirby area off of Virginia and Ferndale between Westheimer and W Bama. We can see both the West Ave and 2727 from her front lawn. For what it's worth, the rental center next to the Beck's Prime was BOOMING last weekend when I came down to help my mom move... and to eat some burgers. Lots of yuppie looking 20 somethings walking across the Beck's property in hard hats to get the walking tour.

Her neighbors are all hyped up about it too. They relish the idea of walking over there for dinner, drinks, and shopping. I also noticed that the other apt. project on Westheimer @ Ferndale (I think but maybe it was Virginia) looks like it's coming along nicely too. And, the New Orleansy themed place behind the 2727 is topped out too. Considering the density that already exists around there in the condos/ranches/mcmansions as well as the hi-rise across from Chuy's that just lost its downtown views, there are going to be a TON of units that need to be filled...

My mom moved into one of the last single story ranches back in that Upper Kirby area off of Virginia and Ferndale between Westheimer and W Bama. We can see both the West Ave and 2727 from her front lawn. For what it's worth, the rental center next to the Beck's Prime was BOOMING last weekend when I came down to help my mom move... and to eat some burgers. Lots of yuppie looking 20 somethings walking across the Beck's property in hard hats to get the walking tour.

Her neighbors are all hyped up about it too. They relish the idea of walking over there for dinner, drinks, and shopping. I also noticed that the other apt. project on Westheimer @ Ferndale (I think but maybe it was Virginia) looks like it's coming along nicely too. And, the New Orleansy themed place behind the 2727 is topped out too. Considering the density that already exists around there in the condos/ranches/mcmansions as well as the hi-rise across from Chuy's that just lost its downtown views, there are going to be a TON of units that need to be filled...

Nice news. I wonder if developers are waiting to see how this will do and if it's a hit, maybe they'll consider building similar structures next to or near it.

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to that rendering, here is what it says on Ziegler Cooper's website regarding Phase II:

West Ave Phase II

Phase II of West Ave at River Oaks will be a five acre development at the southwest corner of Kirby and Westheimer and will have 130,000 square feet of office space and 365 apartments, 85,000 square feet of retail, 182,000 square feet of hotel and 1,780 car parking garage when it opens in 2010.

The complex will have five stories of apartments atop two levels of retail space and a small section of office space, where one of the developers, Urban Partners of Dallas, will have offices.

West Ave will have an "organic" feel with primarily local and regional tenants, including clothing stores and restaurants. Restaurants will take up about 45,000 square feet of the retail space. The apartments will average more than 1,000 square feet and rent will go for about $1.75 per square foot. Retail rents are in the $40 to $50 range.

Urban Partners is owned by Atlanta-based apartment developer Gables Residential, but operates independently. West Ave is being developed by both companies.

STRIVING FOR SILVER CERTIFICATION

From: http://www.zieglercooper.com/projects.asp?...&projid=101

Now, I'm trying to get my bearings and figure out where Phase II is going to sit in relation to Phase I. Is this the Beck's Prime site?

Edited by Geoff8201

I think it has to be the Beck's site along with the one story white brick bldg they are using for their rental office right now just to the South of Beck's. However, they must control a lot more than the public is currently aware of in order to cram an office tower, apartments, retail, and a hotel onto that site... I hope we don't lose Mark's Barber Shop (in the old train car).

I think it has to be the Beck's site along with the one story white brick bldg they are using for their rental office right now just to the South of Beck's. However, they must control a lot more than the public is currently aware of in order to cram an office tower, apartments, retail, and a hotel onto that site... I hope we don't lose Mark's Barber Shop (in the old train car).

Again, from what I heard from the company doing the roofing on West Ave. was that the later phases of it would stretch all the way to the Corner of Kirby and West Alabama. At least for now it looks like it is going to expand to nothing short of Steel Street.

Currently there is some dead space on the Phase I footprint. The Corner near the intersection of Kipling and Virginia Street specifically. Last time I drove by there there was some tiny little building near that corner, with its exterior done in the same style as the rest of that south end of West Ave Building 1. I'll probably have to get a photo of it so everyone knows what I'm speaking of...

Again, from what I heard from the company doing the roofing on West Ave. was that the later phases of it would stretch all the way to the Corner of Kirby and West Alabama. At least for now it looks like it is going to expand to nothing short of Steel Street.

Currently there is some dead space on the Phase I footprint. The Corner near the intersection of Kipling and Virginia Street specifically. Last time I drove by there there was some tiny little building near that corner, with its exterior done in the same style as the rest of that south end of West Ave Building 1. I'll probably have to get a photo of it so everyone knows what I'm speaking of...

How many acres is Phase I?

Interesting how Phase II's location is still described as being at the southwest corner of Kirby/Westhimer if it indeed will go all the way to W. Alabama.

How many acres is Phase I?

Interesting how Phase II's location is still described as being at the southwest corner of Kirby/Westheimer if it indeed will go all the way to W. Alabama.

Good question... From reading news articles I keep seeing Phase I is 5 acres, and doing some rough math, the actual area that the 3 current buildings sit on is indeed a little over 5 acres. Add in the space they're not currently using and it totals around 7. Does that mean Phase II will also be another 5? Or are they flubbing the numbers, or getting the space of the two confused?

And I'm sure they meant the call it Kirby/Westheimer... Westheimer is much more well known and the location familiar than saying West Alabama.

A 2010 opening date seems a bit soon for a Phase that may require demolition of existing structures, and new ground breaking, but we'll see. After all just a year ago West Ave. was just Buildings 1 and 2 still bare concrete, 3 wasn't even started yet... and now look...