Innovation Tower: Mixed-Use High-Rise At 6700 Main St.

Astro

On 5/16/2020 at 11:13 PM, TheSirDingle said:

While a lot of things aren't lining up with the renderings, it's still a great find by @Paco Jones. PJ has done some great work with his short time on the HAIF. Especially with the TMC^3 schematic and the Houston Methodist rendering.

Now this rendering seems to be a preliminary proposal from the looks of it, since Kirskey isn't the listed architect of this development. Maybe Medistar chose a bunch of companies and told them to design something on this plat? Onto the reason they put it in a schematic design budget, that idk. They might of put it there to just fill in space, or it might be a legit proposal? 

When it comes to the final design everything is pointing towards the 50 story Gensler rendering, although I wouldn't mind if either design went up. Maybe there's plans in the future to put a tower right by it, there's definitely enough room (a damn parking lot that is). If so I think the later design would fit perfectly next to its taller brother. 

If anything, Paco's info at least will help temper expectations. If the one by Kirksey happens, oh well. If its the Gensler version then its a huge plus. Either way more info is always better than few info. Whether they go with the Kirksey stuff or not definitely doesn't devalue what Paco posted, right? Again, more info is better than few info.

• Like 6

• The title was changed to Innovation Tower: 48-Story High-Rise in the Texas Medical Center
  • 6 months later...
  • The title was changed to Innovation Tower: Medical Office Building in the Texas Medical Center
6 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Website updated to reflect current plans.

https://www.medistarcorp.com/in-development/

TMC-Tower-Facing-Main-Street-300x300.jpe

This is even worse than what Paco showed. They might as well not even build it. I mean, what's the point? Another glass box. Leave the parcel for someone else to develop. Medistar chickened out. Its honestly kind of embarrassing.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, arbpro said:

You guys sure like to tell other people how to spend THEIR money. Maybe they should do a critique on where you choose to spend YOUR money? 

Nobody is telling them how to spend their money. Expressing disappointment is not "telling people how to spend their money". Not like anyone here is contacting them to lecture them on their desire to downsize this project.

Edited by Big E
completed a sentence I left incomplete
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

IIRC, Innovation Tower was originally presented as a two-phase project, with the upper, second phase, portion to be built depending on market demand (and could be residential or additional medical lab/office space).  This latest rendering looks quite similar to the Phase 1, Parking/lab structure in the original information.

Damn I thought it looked like that, I shoulda said so and made my post look prescient. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

You’re logged into a Architecture forum. There’s a chance you may run across a few opinions. 

OK, well here's my opinion. If someone doesn't approve of how a property is being developed by the owner, that someone needs to buy it and then let's see what they do.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

That opinion has never been expressed here before. Wow. I never thought about it this way. I will never have an opinion on something I do not own ever again. Thank you for the brand new perspective. 

So caustic.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2020 at 11:36 AM, Houston19514 said:

IIRC, Innovation Tower was originally presented as a two-phase project, with the upper, second phase, portion to be built depending on market demand (and could be residential or additional medical lab/office space).  This latest rendering looks quite similar to the Phase 1, Parking/lab structure in the original information.

Nice information, though add the requisite "Don't give me hope" here.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 11:36 AM, Houston19514 said:

Ngl the bottom portion does line up damn near exactly with the larger tower. 

94hDOq8.jpg

UNQxX4B.jpg

This is definitely setting up to be a multi-phase tower, with the second portion being added when the market gets back to normal. Hopefully, if there is a second phase, it will be sooner than later. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Play nicely.

We're all allowed to offer our opinions, on the structure, or whether or not we can spend other people's money.

Then you should have no issue with me offering my opinion. Apparently only those who say "don't even bother to build it" are "playing nicely."

8 minutes ago, thatguysly said:

Are there examples of towers being added on to after they are completed and occupied? I know there are for parking garages but that seems a lot easier to manage and workaround. 

MD Anderson added several floors a few years ago to their main building, it was designed to be expanded as well.  

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, thatguysly said:

Are there examples of towers being added on to after they are completed and occupied? I know there are for parking garages but that seems a lot easier to manage and workaround. 

The Blue Cross Blue Shield Tower in Chicago had this done on a massive scale. Also, a number of highrises in early 20th c. Houston owned by S.F. Carter and Jesse Jones.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iah77 said:

MD Anderson added several floors a few years ago to their main building, it was designed to be expanded as well.  

Texas children’s down the street did this. They added like 10 stories or something to an existing occupied building. 

This is no doubt a disappointing development on this project but I’d much prefer this to what is currently occupying the land.

• Like 6

• The title was changed to Innovation Tower: Medical Office Building In The Texas Medical Center
  • 9 months later...