Innovation Tower: Mixed-Use High-Rise At 6700 Main St.

Astro

Very cool information, but the narrative does not match with the stacking plans shown in the attachments.

The plans show 35 stories, PLUS two floor of underground parking; 17 floors of hospital, 5 floors of medical/corporate office, 2 floors of educational, 9 floors of parking, 1 mechanical , and 1 lobby/retail (plus 2 levels of below-grade parking.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

Well. Looks like they axed the residential component. Not surprised considering the current circumstances. Was looking forward to more residential on that block though. At least with a full program for the office portion this will more than likely be built now.

• Like 3

Between the HCA logo on the building and the U of H tag on the auditorium floors, it seems like this building will be the hospital facility to support the forthcoming new medical school being established at the University of Houston.  This building project looks like it is significantly departing from its original vision.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Well. Looks like they axed the residential component. Not surprised considering the current circumstances. Was looking forward to more residential on that block though. At least with a full program for the office portion this will more than likely be built now.

Yeah, pretty huge program change.  They didn't originally plan to house a hospital in this building.  It was originally programmed for housing and medical office/lab space. I wonder if this change is certain (in which case, construction is probably pretty certain to occur), or if it's a proposal to HCA and UH.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

Another building that became another massive disappointment and stopped being remotely interesting. The one building planned that had some vision to it. At least it doesn't look preposterously ugly like many other "value engineered" buildings in Houston. But it will hardly standout against the rest of the TMC skyline now and nobody will remember this building two years after its finished. I mean, does the TMC really need another hospital. Being the largest collection of hospitals in the world still isn't enough? They have to lap every city on Earth two times in the number of hospital beds? The original idea at least added much needed medical office and lab space and a nice residential component.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Big E said:

Another building that became another massive disappointment and stopped being remotely interesting. The one building planned that had some vision to it. At least it doesn't look preposterously ugly like many other "value engineered" buildings in Houston. But it will hardly standout against the rest of the TMC skyline now and nobody will remember this building two years after its finished. I mean, does the TMC really need another hospital. Being the largest collection of hospitals in the world still isn't enough? They have to lap every city on Earth two times in the number of hospital beds? The original idea at least added much needed medical office and lab space and a nice residential component.

Well Houston is massively over saturated with office space so this is no surprise not to mention I cant imagine our need for more housing is going to be very strong for awhile. It's still a handsome building and much better than what currently is on the land. Plus there are several severely under developed lots near by that could become what the old tower was. How spoiled are we to be sad at the announcement of a 35 story building.  

• Like 6

If I remember correctly, I think it was early last year, when they announced this project they said it would be built in two phases, with Phase 1 being the office building, and then later on they would add the apartments on top in Phase 2. In the rendering for the 48 story tower, I think it was assumed the fat part of the building would be phase 1 and the skinny top part would be phase 2. I don't remember what square footage was supposed to be, but maybe this could still just be phase 1? Or does it sound like this is the entire project now

• Like 4

That’s a bummer.. was really hoping to get new tallest for the TMC. It’s basically just another average height rectangle now. 
Maybe we’ll get lucky and the economy will collapse before this breaks ground, and they can go back to the drawing board or come back with the original design in a few years when things start picking up again?

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Big E said:

I may be going out on a limb here but I don't think the developers of these buildings are looking to make a statement. They have a certain amount of needed space with a certain budget cap and they build the best they can with what best meets their needs. I'm fairly sure the idea of a landmark trophy tower never crossed the minds of those building this or designing it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxman said:

I may be going out on a limb here but I don't think the developers of these buildings are looking to make a statement. They have a certain amount of needed space with a certain budget cap and they build the best they can with what best meets their needs. I'm fairly sure the idea of a landmark trophy tower never crossed the minds of those building this or designing it. 

I mean one doesn't just plan a 48 story building in a city where very little is being built that is over 30-35. It had a unique design and everything, and was being built in an area that has nothing close to that height. A 48 story tower is nothing to sneeze at and developers build trophy buildings all the time. Transco/Williams Tower was basically one big trophy. This building seems like another victim of Corona and is just a squat glass box now. It doesn't even really standout among squat glass boxes.

2 hours ago, Ctaf said:

If I remember correctly, I think it was early last year, when they announced this project they said it would be built in two phases, with Phase 1 being the office building, and then later on they would add the apartments on top in Phase 2. In the rendering for the 48 story tower, I think it was assumed the fat part of the building would be phase 1 and the skinny top part would be phase 2. I don't remember what square footage was supposed to be, but maybe this could still just be phase 1? Or does it sound like this is the entire project now

Man I hope your right.

• Like 1

what-your-word-for-attractive-says-about

^^^ such a stunning/startling revelation!  the previously proposed INNOVATION TOWER, was simply one of the most beautiful and grandiose edifices ever slated for houston.  i am completely heartbroken.  WOW!

• Like 4

After a little more digging and thinking, I am skeptical that this hospital program is for real. I think it may have just been a proposal to HCA.  HCA's "Medical Center" hospital is on the north end of Hermann Park and is currently undergoing a pretty extensive renovation.  I wouldn't think they would be spending that money if they planned to move 1 1/2 miles south to the Medical Center (and even more unlikely is HCA building a second "Medical Center" location).

• Like 4

Another weird thing to consider: the website for the project hasn't changed. Medistar still lists this as a 48 story tower, not 35. Unless they are behind on their updates, which, while possible, is unlikely given the scale of the reduction. Maybe the reduction is merely a proposal and not the final product?

• Like 5

14 hours ago, TheSirDingle said:

@Paco Jones Do you know the date that specific proposal was posted? I have a feeling it might be an early proposal that they didn't go with. Just seems weird that they haven't updated their websites or anything. 

This is a good point, the taller rendering also seems to be a bit higher quality than the shorter one leading me to think the shorter building could have just been a preliminary proposal.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, texan said:

This is a good point, the taller rendering also seems to be a bit higher quality than the shorter one leading me to think the shorter building could have just been a preliminary proposal.

Another thing to keep in mind: the tower as originally proposed was shorter than the current 48/50 story version, as seen here, and was in fact probably 35 stories, like the rendering that @Paco Jones showed. Also said rendering is indeed of lower quality, like something that came right off the drawing board, unlike the rendering of the taller version, which is a high quality digital picture. The Innovation Tower website still lists it as 48 stories, while the Medistar website list it as 50. Assuming they are keeping these websites up to date, I can't see how they could not have updated them with any new plans to downsize the tower. I have also done an image search, and have been unable to find that particular render of the tower; I would like to know were Paco Jones got it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Big E said:

Another thing to keep in mind: the tower as originally proposed was shorter than the current 48/50 story version, as seen here, and was in fact probably 35 stories, like the rendering that @Paco Jones showed. Also said rendering is indeed of lower quality, like something that came right off the drawing board, unlike the rendering of the taller version, which is a high quality digital picture. The Innovation Tower website still lists it as 48 stories, while the Medistar website list it as 50. Assuming they are keeping these websites up to date, I can't see how they could not have updated them with any new plans to downsize the tower. I have also done an image search, and have been unable to find that particular render of the tower; I would like to know were Paco Jones got it.

So you're saying there's a chance.gif

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Big E said:

18 hours ago, TheSirDingle said:

@Paco Jones Do you know the date that specific proposal was posted? I have a feeling it might be an early proposal that they didn't go with. Just seems weird that they haven't updated their websites or anything. 

The renderings were included in the Schematic Design documents provided by Kirksey for initial budget this month. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Hmmm weird 🤔. I was under the impression that Medistar was the developer and Gensler was the architect. Wonder what Kirksey is doing in this project? Guess we'll have to see when this finally goes up. Anyway both designs are much better than the first, no matter how you look at it. 

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Paco Jones said:

They are the architect. 

04b2Lp1.png

Since when did that happen? They are aren't listed anywhere on the Innovation tower website. Gensler are the ones who are. Kirksey also doesn't mention the tower on their website at all.

While a lot of things aren't lining up with the renderings, it's still a great find by @Paco Jones. PJ has done some great work with his short time on the HAIF. Especially with the TMC^3 schematic and the Houston Methodist rendering.

Now this rendering seems to be a preliminary proposal from the looks of it, since Kirskey isn't the listed architect of this development. Maybe Medistar chose a bunch of companies and told them to design something on this plat? Onto the reason they put it in a schematic design budget, that idk. They might of put it there to just fill in space, or it might be a legit proposal? 

When it comes to the final design everything is pointing towards the 50 story Gensler rendering, although I wouldn't mind if either design went up. Maybe there's plans in the future to put a tower right by it, there's definitely enough room (a damn parking lot that is). If so I think the later design would fit perfectly next to its taller brother. 

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 8