Innovation Tower: Mixed-Use High-Rise At 6700 Main St.

Astro

On 12/24/2023 at 9:35 PM, Urbannizer said:

In addition to the full size, proposed low resolution rendering of Innovation Tower, Medistar also included a high resolution image. The higher resolution image is cropped. However, it shows a somewhat closer view of the lower portion of the mixed-use planned for 6700 Main St.

https://medistarcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Picture4.png

t8bnAbJ.jpg

That to me looks very clearly like a hotel (lower floors with smaller windows and curtains) with residential above (balconies and taller windows). 

That would make bank in the TMC. Especially if the residences had shorter term furnished leases available for families of patients.

• Like 3

What happened to the development down the street called Texas A&M Innovation Plaza? I originally thought it was a "P3" development from Medistar, Texas A&M University, and HTA (Healthcare Trust of America.)

I wonder which company lost the finances to build the biomedical office tower portion? Interesting that Medistar is separating from this tower and focusing on a new high-rise.  This specific tower is no longer listed on their website.

Still a beast though!

5aNjeTG.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

What happened to the development down the street called Texas A&M Innovation Plaza? I originally thought it was a "P3" development from Medistar, Texas A&M University, and HTA (Healthcare Trust of America.)

I wonder which company lost the finances to build the biomedical office tower portion? Interesting that Medistar is separating from this tower and focusing on a new high-rise.  This specific tower is no longer listed on their website.

Still a beast though!

5aNjeTG.jpg

^^^ well, why can't aTm just construct this tower as initially expected?  they are ALWAYS bragging/claiming to the masses that care to listen, that "they are LOADED with MONEY/CAPITAL".  what on earth, is really going on here?

Edited by monarch

7 hours ago, monarch said:

^^^ well, why can't aTm just construct this tower as initially expected?  they are ALWAYS bragging/claiming to the masses that care to listen, that "they are LOADED with MONEY/CAPITAL".  what on earth, is really going on here?

Texas A&M doesn’t need the space yet (they’ve still got plenty of shell space to build out in Discovery Tower) and can’t just build a vanity project with no purpose. They certainly cannot build an office building with university resources that would then be leased to the private sector. It would be very bad for them to try, from an ethical governance perspective, and would rightly invite the scrutiny of the Legislature as this would be an arm of the state government competing with the private sector. There is a fine line where a private developer can do it on university land by leasing the land which is (or was) the arrangement with Medistar here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Site visit this week. I've actually had a party in one of the room 2 years ago. My mom came down to Houston and rented a weekend at the Best Western TMC hotel.  I thought it was a little extravagant but she said it was closer to my house and the rates weren't too bad.

The hotel rooms are dated! For instance, the plastic on the microwave was stained yellow and the hallways were bleak.  Definitely time to redevelop this property!

I asked the front desk staff about if they knew of an appending demolition and they did not know.  I'll assume the Innovation Tower is several years out.  Hopefully Medistar doesn't have to wait for office leasing before they break ground.

Tno9L4F.jpg

kjYZeun.jpg

XrcHKNp.jpg

YJUm3AL.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Highrise Tower said:

Site visit this week. I've actually had a party in one of the room 2 years ago. My mom came down to Houston and rented a weekend at the Best Western TMC hotel.  I thought it was a little extravagant but she said it was closer to my house and the rates weren't too bad.

The hotel rooms are dated! For instance, the plastic on the microwave was stained yellow and the hallways were bleak.  Definitely time to redevelop this property!

I asked the front desk staff about if they knew of an appending demolition and they did not know.  I'll assume the Innovation Tower is several years out.  Hopefully Medistar doesn't have to wait for office leasing before they break ground.

Tno9L4F.jpg

kjYZeun.jpg

XrcHKNp.jpg

YJUm3AL.jpg

Two years ago my sister was visiting from out of town with her family and opted to stay here. She said that the hotel was reasonably clean, but poorly maintained. And, that the rooms were somewhat damp and musty and needing a remodel. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...