3 hours ago, Texasota said:

I just don't get it. They own the whole development - there are plenty of other places to put that tower that don't destroy a beloved local institution. 

You have to remember that developers have zero sentimental attachment to anything. People don't seem to understand or just don't want to come to the realization that developers literally only care about making as much money as possible and nothing else. 

This is why our city needs more protections for historic buildings because soon we will have none left. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, jmitch94 said:

You have to remember that developers have zero sentimental attachment to anything. People don't seem to understand or just don't want to come to the realization that developers literally only care about making as much money as possible and nothing else. 

This is why our city needs more protections for historic buildings because soon we will have none left. 

They just measure belovedness by how much someone is willing to pay for it.  Maybe that particular red box is a head fake to get some alternate financing for the other three from a "save the RO Theatre" campaign, but jeez, to be a theater owner now, you're probably desperately trying to volunteer to be a vaccine distribution center. Not the best time for these guys to see value in keeping it around. 

I think a small cinema like this one would be a great addition to a walkable retail area with dense residential, a pretty nice amenity on it's own. The old structure/style of this one would add to the charm, and I don't typically care for that kind f stuff. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

They just measure belovedness by how much someone is willing to pay for it. 

Exactly, they will keep and use historic buildings if they can charge a premium for that building or if the numbers make sense but this will be a relatively easy demo and therefor much more profitable to replace. 

58 minutes ago, jmitch94 said:

Weingarten Realty seems to be the epitome and personification of irresponsible development. Is "make it look cheap and ugly" a part of their business plan? If so, they've met and exceeded that goal.
It's a damn shame that their tentacles ever latched on to River Oaks Shopping Center.

• Like 4

One of my favorite things about living in LA is discovering how much funky old stuff is here. People think LA is all Beverly Hills and the Sunset Strip but my neighborhood has two vintage movie theaters (Los Feliz and The Vista) as well as several really cool 1920s era apartment buildings. And it seems as if most neighborhoods have walkable "town centers" like Franklin Square, Los Feliz Village, Larchmont Village, Echo Park and Silverlake along Sunset Blvd. 

Houston is losing too much of it's soul. If the River Oaks goes bye-bye, I'll be very sad. A city is more than just buildings, it's memories and shared experiences. My Mom grew up going there. I went on my first date there. Had my first experience with the Rocky Horror Picture Show there. In grad school at UH, we loved the midnight shows. It's the last of the old ladies and it would be a tragedy to lose it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

One of my favorite things about living in LA is discovering how much funky old stuff is here. People think LA is all Beverly Hills and the Sunset Strip but my neighborhood has two vintage movie theaters (Los Feliz and The Vista) as well as several really cool 1920s era apartment buildings. And it seems as if most neighborhoods have walkable "town centers" like Franklin Square, Los Feliz Village, Larchmont Village, Echo Park and Silverlake along Sunset Blvd. 

Houston is losing too much of it's soul. If the River Oaks goes bye-bye, I'll be very sad. A city is more than just buildings, it's memories and shared experiences. My Mom grew up going there. I went on my first date there. Had my first experience with the Rocky Horror Picture Show there. In grad school at UH, we loved the midnight shows. It's the last of the old ladies and it would be a tragedy to lose it. 

Yeah LA is much more walkable than it's given credit for. 

well dang...i have a love for that theater as i got to see the premiere of The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen there, a super sneak preview of The Blair Witch Project prior to it's release when we all believed it was real (ha!), and yes high school weekends seeing the midnight showings of The Rocky Horror Picture Show back in the everything goes days with tons of costumes, live cast and throwing and spraying everything under the sun in the theater and always felt so bad for whoever had to clean it that night or the next day 😳

good times...

however i will say i hated when they closed up the balcony to make two super cramped, weird, angled theaters with horrible and uncomfortable seats haha...so i am okay if they want to get rid of that part ;)

Los Angeles is a much older city.  It already had a population of 600,000-1,000,000 in the era where automobiles became ubiquitous, whereas Houston went through that era of its growth in the 1960's and 70s.  I suspect that most of the inspiration of New Urbanism (especially that which has an American flavor) and things like main street theme park design, etc is all mostly just trying to replicate LA in 1915 or or 1925 or whatever.

Edited by JJxvi
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JJxvi said:

I will say that this center is one of a handful of historic Houston shopping centers that are gems, so I hope they dont screw it up.

I mean they already did when they tore down the southern end where the Barnes and Noble is at, along with the Driscoll section. They might as well just tear the whole damn thing down with this news. 

Well, I can only speak for myself, but if that Barnes and Noble hadn't been built I wouldn't have even stepped foot in this shopping center at all for the last ten years. So I guess even if it supposedly did  lose some aesthetic appeal, it gained a lot in utility from my perspective...

• Like 1

I know a lot of people dismiss the architectural merits of this shopping center as already so compromised, but even with all the ham-fisted alterations, I still found some charm in the place. Despite it all, it was still distinguishable from most strip shopping centers and I wish they would embrace that rather than destroy what they have. That theater, its marquee, is a landmark for the community and one appeal to living in the neighborhood. It's your calling card. Why tear it down?

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Highrise Tower said:

Kelsey-Seybold River Oaks Clinic

Q7OiXLn.png

Suite 200 is the former America's location. Not sure about Suite 120. 

At any rate, glad to see this, as our PCP is at Kelsey-Seybold, and it will be nice to have a Kelsey clinic closer than the ones we usually go to (Tanglewood or the main campus on Holcombe).  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to River Oaks Shopping Center Developments
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You know, back in the early-to-mid 60s, the nearest grocery store to our house was a Weingarten's. Literally about a 5 minute walk from our front door. My mom refused to ever shop there, though, because she said the store literally stank. By the time Weingarten sold their grocery business, their stores were pretty nice. I would shop their West Gray and Dunlavy locations. Looks like my mom was right about them all along, however. They stink to high hell.