got this email just now:

Dear Loyal Supporters,

Regrettably, after 45 years of bringing Houston the best of art house cinema, today is Landmark Theatres' last day of operation at the River Oaks Theatre. We have been so incredibly fortunate to have made movie memories with you all, from the early days of classics and cult favorites to the Oscar contenders that played for weeks, and those raucous late night audience participation staples THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW and THE ROOM.

Thank you for being a friend. Thank you for sharing your personal connections to the River Oaks over this past month. We agree that movie theaters are sacred spaces and we hope that the Friends of the River Oaks can preserve and protect this special place that has brought so much to the cultural landscape of Houston.

It isn't goodbye. In the wisdom of NOMADLAND, we'll see you down the road. When Landmark lands in a new location, if you are on our email list, you better believe that you will hear from us.

Sincerely,
Paul Serwitz
President and COO, Landmark Theatres

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Montrose1100 said:

The white to off-white, terrible stone choices

That seems to have become a 'thing' in Houston over the past 20 years or so. 
"I know! Let's slap some Hill Country limestone on the facade, and maybe people will think they're in Austin!" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, dbigtex56 said:

That seems to have become a 'thing' in Houston over the past 20 years or so. 
"I know! Let's slap some Hill Country limestone on the facade, and maybe people will think they're in Austin!" 

If you ever watch Rockets and Astros post and pre game shows on AT&T Sportsnet part of the set is limestone 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 5 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to The Driscoll & Four Additional High-Rises Coming To River Oaks Shopping Center
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Another restaurant addition is coming to the River Oaks Shopping Center.

Some of you may have seen alcohol notices, building permits, or the listing on River Oaks Shopping Center directory for Atrium River Oaks in the last year.  I think it will be located in the unit previously occupied by Citibank at 1971 W Gray St. Despite the name listed as Atrium River Oaks, the restaurant's actual name is Cocody.

The chef-owner of French restaurants Le Ministral and Bistro 555 is involved with this restaurant. According to LinkedIn, Cocody will possibly have a globally-centric menu.

https://www.riveroaksshoppingcenter.com/directory/

https://cocodyhouston.com

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
added website
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, nate said:

Interesting name. I tried to figure out what it means and the only thing I can come up with is the Cocody is the name of an upscale suburb of Abidjan, Ivory Coast. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocody

That was my assumption as well. I suppose further details will be announced or reported soon. It will be interesting seeing how the space is transformed. Also interested in seeing how this will perform with Brasserie 19, Perry's, and Hudson House (when it opens) since it will probably have a similar price point as those businesses.

2 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

That was my assumption as well. I suppose further details will be announced or reported soon. It will be interesting seeing how the space is transformed. Also interested in seeing how this will perform with Brasserie 19, Perry's, and Hudson House (when it opens) since it will probably have a similar price point as those businesses.

It will have to have a high price to support the rent, especially on such a big space (6,198 sf). I think there's plenty of business out there, but they do need to distinguish themselves from other nearby restaurants.

On that point, B19 and Hudson House have pretty similar menus and are right next door...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, nate said:

It will have to have a high price to support the rent, especially on such a big space (6,198 sf). I think there's plenty of business out there, but they do need to distinguish themselves from other nearby restaurants.

On that point, B19 and Hudson House have pretty similar menus and are right next door...

I totally agree.

• 2 weeks later...

Fate of the River Oks theatre to be determined.

"But it may soon be active again as Mayor Sylvester Turner's office announced Monday that he will be holding a press conference at 5 p.m. Wednesday to announce the future of the building."

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/movies-tv/city-to-announce-fate-of-the-river-oaks-theater-16819149

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1