WOW!!! So cool!!! I hope they keep that theater forever...i have soooooooooooooo many amazing memories there, although i wish they would just open back up the balcony...those 2 upstairs theaters are THE worst (the small screen, the angle, the uncomfortable seats...everything haha!)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, gene said:

WOW!!! So cool!!! I hope they keep that theater forever...i have soooooooooooooo many amazing memories there, although i wish they would just open back up the balcony...those 2 upstairs theaters are THE worst (the small screen, the angle, the uncomfortable seats...everything haha!)

Haha while all true that’s part of the charm for me. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 12:29 AM, ZRFkris said:

Great building, fits in better than I expected. 

Yes, but it would have fit in SO MUCH BETTER with the previous white, art-deco design before they painted the rest of the shopping center that monstrosity of a beige color.  Geez, everywhere else, people are going the opposite direction and painting beige buildings white (see Uptown Park)!

• Like 5

Wow...that Upper Kirby/Greenway and Uptown/Galleria skyline shot from inside the unit is amazing. And to think our largest and 3rd largest skylines aren't even in that pic...

The views from around the 6th to 12th floors have always been around my favorite height for views in Houston. Just above the tree line, and still high enough for views like that.

Thanks for all the great updates, as usual.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

What???  Was that lighting scheme shown in any of the renderings?

I don’t  recall seeing any nighttime renderings but the daytime renderings seemed to indicate the lighting.  It’s really bright at night with all 4 floors lit up.

They were testing the lights when I snapped those photos but all 4 floors have been lit every night for the past couple weeks. 

• Like 2

Prominent national home and design retailer sets up shop in River Oaks

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/home-design/09-17-20-ballard-designs-houston-river-oaks-new-location/

A widely recognized national online and catalog home decor purveyor is opening doors to its first Houston location. Ballard Designs is set to open a new retail store in the Rivers Oaks Shopping Center early next year, the company announced. It will occupy the former GAP Store’s 10,000-square foot location.

The new Houston Ballard stores will be the chain’s 16th retail location since launching its national retail expansion in 2007. Weingarten Realty, owner and  operator of River Oaks Shopping Center, has invested heavily in the property over the past two years,  including construction of a 30-story residential tower. Ballard will join a number of well-known shopping and furniture stores in the affluent River Oaks shopping district.

Ballard Designs’ new River Oaks location will be introduced to Houston shoppers on targeted soft opening days beginning in early 2021 with distancing protocols in place, according to a press release.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to The Driscoll + Four Additional High-Rises Coming to River Oaks Shopping Center
8 minutes ago, Texasota said:

They have the River Oaks Theater targeted for one of the tower locations. The other three locations are fine, but that theater is not replaceable. 

I think it is unfortunate, but probably inevitable. They've had their eyes on the theater site for many years now. 

The beauty and the ugliness of Houston has to do with the power of money and vision  for the future. Here in Houston, old families or aristocracies do not count for much except in cocktail party conversation. There is more freedom and less restraint.  Hence the destruction of many old architectural gems, but the fascinating growth and change of our city.

I have a cousin in Europe who is a duke, a member of the high nobility. He and the other Grandees are  used to a certain deference regardless of financial net worth. He finds Houston to be a fascinating yet puzzling city. We pay little attention to things of the past as they do in Europe. Houston is almost the personification of money talks, bull**** walks. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1