Texas Tower: 47-Story Office Tower At 845 Texas Ave.

democide

I love how this tower has a certain kind of symettry and theme, like the older 1980s towers near it. Houston's skyline is very recognizable and this contributes positively to that.

I really dislike the current trend in architecture where a lot of buildings are goofy jenga stacks of glass blocks with a weird oversized podium. Those buildings don't look like anything, they are just noise. To make matters worse, that style is associated with the dubious under-occupied condo towers for the foreign mega-rich to hoard or launder their money in cities like Melbourne, Vancouver, etc which often don't have a real economic foundation to justify their levels of real estate investment.

• Like 8

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a client in real estate the other day mention that he can't remember the last time there were so many cranes within the 610 loop. He said mayyyyybe 06-07. Then we joked that its still 5 cranes less than Austin at any given time. 

As a younger person who remembers old DT and old 3rd ward, these pictures are nuts. Thank y'all for them. 

• Like 4

Just now, X.R. said:

Had a client in real estate the other day mention that he can't remember the last time there were so many cranes within the 610 loop. He said mayyyyybe 06-07. Then we joked that its still 5 cranes less than Austin at any given time. 

As a younger person who remembers old DT and old 3rd ward, these pictures are nuts. Thank y'all for them. 

It's like Houston is building a whole new city with better walkability and transit. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, X.R. said:

2015-2017 there were more here. And more than in Austin.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

DLA Piper signed a lease for the entire 38th floor.  40% leased now.

every little bit counts...

@CREguy13 If you were to guess, what is the most likely downtown office to start construction - Houston Center 6, or 1 Market Square / International Tower...

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 5:10 PM, X.R. said:

On 1/9/2020 at 9:52 AM, H-Town Man said:

2015-2017 there were more here. And more than in Austin.

Indeed.  It's actually probably not even close.  That is, Houston has had far more high rise construction than Austin.  I just did a quick check on Emporis for Houston and Austin high-rises ( stopped at 150') completed since 2010 or currently under construction.  Houston had 84.  Austin had about 37.

(On a side note; this is one of my pet peeves about Houstonians; they are so eager to go out of their way to diminish and disregard what their city has accomplished and is accomplishing.)

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Indeed.  It's actually probably not even close.  That is, Houston has had far more high rise construction than Austin.  I just did a quick check on Emporis for Houston and Austin high-rises ( stopped at 150') completed since 2010 or currently under construction.  Houston had 84.  Austin had about 37.

(On a side note; this is one of my pet peeves about Houstonians; they are so eager to go out of their way to diminish and disregard what their city has accomplished and is accomplishing.)

Maybe not all at once like in some periods, but year after year its been crazy consistent. Consistently high. They also don't seem all bundled up like they used too when booms would match oil prices. Instead its been a pretty steady. As soon as one is about to take a crane down, another one is about to go up. I rather have that kind of consistency that has more stability than the fun boom times with crash that we know comes afterwards.

EDIT: From what I seen plotting on the development map this seems to indicate this as well. 2020 looks be a crazy year where a bunch will finish out (cranes down) while the next cycle gets ready to hit the ground running (cranes up). Most buildings are 2 year cycles. Most of the cranes down this year started in 2018, when things were starting to tick back up again, and aiming for 2020 completion. The next cycle is 2020-2022.

Edited by Luminare