Texas Tower: 47-Story Office Tower At 845 Texas Ave.

democide

On 8/24/2019 at 10:45 AM, keaton said:

Unknown, but police told me that the first call came in about 6:30 when workers were arriving to the site. The specific wording they used was the man "jumped or fell" after "crawling" on the crane. Sounded like it wasn't a worker to me, but neither police nor the Gilbane rep would confirm.

Really sad to hear. To me, my initial thoughts are it may have been one of the photographers you see on social media and instagram who scale buildings and cranes to get shots of the city.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/24/2019 at 10:45 AM, keaton said:

Unknown, but police told me that the first call came in about 6:30 when workers were arriving to the site. The specific wording they used was the man "jumped or fell" after "crawling" on the crane. Sounded like it wasn't a worker to me, but neither police nor the Gilbane rep would confirm.

Can't find any mention in the local media but that's not too surprising. Not the first time an accidental death has gone unreported.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/31/business/tax-opportunity-zones.html

Houston made the N.Y. Times with the Texas Tower project as part of the “Opportunity Zone” tax incentive program the Trump administration instigated.  I wonder how many Trump or Kushner developments will benefit from this program??

EDIT:  The Preston is part of the Opportunity Zone incentive, not Texas Tower.

Edited by MarathonMan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Using drone technology to monitor Texas Tower project

https://dronedj.com/2019/07/02/commercial-property-drone-technology/

hgy9Apl.jpg

3MYk0N9.jpg

That is the same company I came across on the Hines Colombe D' Or project taking pictures of the building to make sure contractors were building according to the blueprints. Neat technology. Workers better be aware if they're goofing off.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Went down today to check on the progress of the Texas Tower, first hand, and it is impressive in person. The way the building sits on the block makes it look overwhelming when approaching from the east or west. It is massive. I also like the detail of the notches in the Travis and Milam sides of the building. It will make adefining crease in the facade of the building, while breaking up the east and west sides, that will really have an impact when the building is glazed and topped out. This is going to be a very impressive structure and will definitely change the overall dynamics of the surrounding blocks. 

Definitely agree. It's going to extend the "canyon" feeling at street level on Travis and Milam given how much it fills up the block and how tall the podium will be.  It's big. 

• Like 9