Texas Tower: 47-Story Office Tower At 845 Texas Ave.

democide

2 hours ago, Texasota said:

Can they call off the final cladding and leave it exposed concrete with steel stairs like this? Because this is neat.

The cladding may help a bit with LEED certification... :ph34r:

• Like 1

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Texasota said:

Can they call off the final cladding and leave it exposed concrete with steel stairs like this? Because this is neat.

So basically Brutalism. Now I have a soft spot for Brutalism, but with all the demo's of Brutalist architecture in this city over the past decade I don't think your pitch would be a good investment for the future.

Tell that to the Alley.

That's basically how architectural trends work. Victorian architecture was seen by many as awful and old-fashioned when Brutalism was all the rage - now we cherish what little we have left. 

The same will absolutely be true of Brutalism. Not every building. But we as a culture only start to really appreciate something as we're losing it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

Tell that to the Alley.

That's basically how architectural trends work. Victorian architecture was seen by many as awful and old-fashioned when Brutalism was all the rage - now we cherish what little we have left. 

The same will absolutely be true of Brutalism. Not every building. But we as a culture only start to really appreciate something as we're losing it.

Overall I agree with your statement, but there is a reason why we have yo-yo'ed in and out of traditional styles and we have movements such as Classical, NeoClassical, Historicist, and NeoHistoricist, etc... It does tend to be a kind of beauty that transcends time while brutalism, while I admire it, and think it has its own beauty, is firmly rooted to a particular time and way of thinking. You never know though. I've been mentioning the uptick of 60's chic for interiors in multiple threads and its called 60's chic because of its allure and feeling in regards to aesthetics and materials. What might have to happen is that a movement like Brutalism will need a few go-arounds and evolutions before it will be canonized as a style with a linage and history worth preserving. The plight of modernism, and post-modern styles is that they are based on the idea that we can make a clean break with our historical heritage in a revolutionary way and begin anew, but that is a double edged sword because it means that it can be thrown out by that same basis. On the opposite end, Historical styles are based on precedent which gives it a much firmer and lasting footing to be picked up and embraced again. I just don't know if Brutalism will do that. I hope so, but at its core its a radical movement that embraced revolution and a break with the past for a perspective future which we don't hold anymore, but it has elements that can be tied with other historical movements which can be mixed in retrospect. Been reading a lot about American house styles, and materially Brutalism shares some traits with the Shingle style in that the decoration/ornamentation is not superfluous detailing, but the material itself is the detail. Will have to see.

• Like 2

They still have more to do on the parking levels, although they're getting close.  The office portion of the building will only cover a portion of the parking - it'll be a rectangle bounded by the zig zag details on the parking levels IIRC.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Subdude said:

I like the old..

29 minutes ago, cspwal said:

It's a 5G tower

Glad to see they aren't messing with consistency of downtown street lighting...

5G tower seems very futuristic and ominous to me for some reason.

• Like 1