Texas Tower: Office Skyscraper At 845 Texas Ave.

democide

On 5/18/2020 at 10:11 AM, wxman said:

I wonder if this will be the 'Heritage Plaza' of today's times--as in the last major office skyscraper downtown for the forseeable future. With the pandemic and so many people working from home, it seems things may 'never' go back to normal and many people will continue working from home. It was a forced experiment that seems to have worked in that people working from their living rooms are equally, if not more, productive than when at the office. Translation: no need for abundant office space. 

I'm only talking office skyscrapers, not condo or apartment towers.

On the flip side  employers may actually need more space as open concept may be on the latest victim of Covid 19. I think one way or the other it is all conjecture. The overall effect will probably land somewhere in the middle like it always does. 

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 4

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, urbanize713 said:

On the flip side  employers made actually need more space as open concept may be on the latest victim of Covid 19. I think one way or the other it is all conjecture. The overall effect will probably land somewhere in the middle like it always does. 

I didnt even think about that. Oh how I loath open floor cube concepts. 

• Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 10:11 AM, wxman said:

I wonder if this will be the 'Heritage Plaza' of today's times--as in the last major office skyscraper downtown for the forseeable future. With the pandemic and so many people working from home, it seems things may 'never' go back to normal and many people will continue working from home. It was a forced experiment that seems to have worked in that people working from their living rooms are equally, if not more, productive than when at the office. Translation: no need for abundant office space. 

I'm only talking office skyscrapers, not condo or apartment towers.

Good point.. I had wondered about all the people successfully working from home and hoped more companies might go to telecommuting where it makes sense. The traffic, or lack thereof during quarantine was amazing. Plus the environmental/monetary benefits of working from home..

And yeah, as we head into the biggest recession since the Great Depression (I guess they’re going to have to come up with a new name for the Great Recession), it’s likely this will be the last major tower we see for some time..

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jermh said:

Texas Tower Construction 5-11-2020

I had forgotten that I took this about 2 weeks ago. I'm a newbie when it comes to wide angle stuff / compositing.

This is cool how you straightened the vertical lines, although it causes the lower buildings to tilt out a little bit. Interesting to see what can be done. Of course the way to really get everything looking vertical and natural is to use a large format camera, like in the Story Sloane Gallery photos where they used an 8x10 camera.

• Like 3