Market Square Tower: 40-Story High-Rise At 777 Preston St.

Urbannizer

On 10/6/2016 at 7:23 AM, Nate99 said:

to prevent their shadows from blocking out the sun as much.

Has anyone else noticed how much more pleasant it is walking along main in downtown now that it is so filled in. 

Not just the asthetic, but the shadow cast by the huge buildings combined with AC occasionally drifting out doors makes walking downtown more bearable in the summer than it used to be.

Used to hear a lot about the concrete effect, but vertical concrete seems to help with cooling. Might get miserable on cold windy days though,  as that cool air gets channeled through those man-made canyons.  

Anyway,  shade in the summer is a good thing.  Another reason why I hate surface parking.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

HoustonIsHome, you maybe happy to know that approximately the equivalent of 20 square blocks ( by my not scientifically accurate estimate) of surface parking lots disappeared in this building "cycle".  I do not think you will hear much mourning over their loss. Just hope new ones do not pop up.

That is awesome. 

Are the lots forv the Lancaster going to be replaced by a garage or surface parking? 

I assume the Chronicle lot will be surface parking for a while. 

I think residential in the neighborhoods surrounding downtown will boost commercial development downtown. 

1 minute ago, Timoric said:

That high up, do they bolt down the furniture?

Seems like the lightweight stuff could blow off the roof and be a flying hazard at 500 feet heading down to the street.

They don't worry about furniture -- ideally it can get moved inside in heavy winds. They do make sure all planting materials (ie: gravel) is securely held down and even look at the engineering of any cabinet hinges.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, kbates2 said:

So the CVS will be in the garage?

That is interesting and good news.  Does this still leave a large GFR pocket in the building?

Yes, this is below the garage, and there seems to be room for more GFR below the tower itself.

Edited by quietstorm
  • Like 1

The Sky Pool has been getting alot of buzz in the media.

" Market Square Tower, at 777 Preston,  is new to Houston's downtown scene and is accepting leases now. As of Wednesday, 25 percent of the tower's 463 units have been leased"

http://www.chron.com/homes/article/Market-Square-Tower-s-pool-extends-10-feet-beyond-10507973.php

• Like 6