Market Square Tower: 40-Story High-Rise At 777 Preston St.

Urbannizer

23 minutes ago, jmitch94 said:

I was thinking the same thing about 609 Main. Feels like the demo of the previous building was just yesterday and now the crown is almost finished. 

And in about ten years when downtown gets its next office tower, this oil bust will feel like yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

Market Square Tower is not the tallest residential building in Houston but is the tallest residential high rise in Downtown Houston to date with the tallest pool in Texas. Market Square Tower is over 500 feet and has 41 stories and One Park Place has 37 stories. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2016 at 5:29 PM, Houston19514 said:

I'm not sure it's even the tallest residential building downtown.  Emporis has Market Square Tower at 498 feet and One Park Place at 501 feet.  (FWIW, Emporis has 2929 Weslayan at only 468 feet.  The Huntingdon still reigns as the tallest residential in Houston, at 503 feet.

2929 Weslayan is 533 feet, The Huntington is 503 feet, Market Square is 502 feet,and One Park Place is 501 feet.

• 3 weeks later...

This is interesting.   A friend of mine told me that he spoke to a leasing agent for this place and, if he heard correctly and I heard correctly, the leasing agent said that they were bringing a "grocery store" to the building.  If this is what the leasing agent supposedly was referring to, that was a bit of a stretch but likely good in a pinch and better than nothing.

8 hours ago, adr said:

From the link..

September 20th, 2016

We are pleased to announce that CVS/Pharmacy will be coming soon to Market Square Tower. This new urban store concept will offer grab & go prepared foods, fresh produce and healthier snack options…right at your doorstep! Stay tuned for more updates.

"Grocery store" does seem like a bit of a stretch, but there will be some options, none the less. Maybe Aris will get a legit grocer? Seems like they hoped to sign one.

• Like 1

People want "more urban"... well, more urban isn't a large standard grocery store. This CVS sounds like it'll be like Duane Reade on 100 Broadway in NY. That place is really nice. Even has a decent salad bar, full service pharmacy, small grocery selection (but much larger than a normal Walgreens/CVS), gifts, etc...

• Like 6

There is.  It has more grocery items than a usual CVS, but not that much - and critically it doesn't have produce, which this store is supposedly going to have.  I wonder what the hours are going to be - the CVS on main isn't open after 5 on the weekends, which would be crazy for a grocery store

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cspwal said:

There is.  It has more grocery items than a usual CVS, but not that much - and critically it doesn't have produce, which this store is supposedly going to have.  I wonder what the hours are going to be - the CVS on main isn't open after 5 on the weekends, which would be crazy for a grocery store

Your point is well taken, but, Actually, it's even more crazy for a drug store in these days of 24-hour drug stores.

I am excited to see this new concept and I am hoping it's more than a pile of apples and bananas, pre-made sandwiches, and some Raman.  While that is good in a pinch, this side of downtown needs an urban grocery.  Something small but jam packed.  Wipe out all of Pheoncias upstairs.  Wipe out that big bread conveyor belt. Wipe out the dessert  counter and the hot dinner counter.  Wipe out the back side cash registers that I have never seen used.  What's left?  The pizza counter, the prepared foods counter, cheese, meets, fish, produce, eggs, dairy, salad bar, booze, soft drinks, coffee, and some packaged foods.  Would all of that have fit into the space in this tower?  IDK.  Hopefully it will fit into Aris.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Your point is well taken, but, Actually, it's even more crazy for a drug store in these days of 24-hour drug stores.

I am excited to see this new concept and I am hoping it's more than a pile of apples and bananas, pre-made sandwiches, and some Raman.  While that is good in a pinch, this side of downtown needs an urban grocery.  Something small but jam packed.  Wipe out all of Pheoncias upstairs.  Wipe out that big bread conveyor belt. Wipe out the dessert  counter and the hot dinner counter.  Wipe out the back side cash registers that I have never seen used.  What's left?  The pizza counter, the prepared foods counter, cheese, meets, fish, produce, eggs, dairy, salad bar, booze, soft drinks, coffee, and some packaged foods.  Would all of that have fit into the space in this tower?  IDK.  Hopefully it will fit into Aris.  

The back cash registers at Phonecia are used during weekday lunch hour, which is always packed.

• Like 1