Market Square Tower: 40-Story High-Rise At 777 Preston St.

Urbannizer

Love, LOVE the idea of bringing more people to live downtown but I'm not liking this building. Too bulky, too beige, too boxy. Reminds me of a modernized version of the unattractive 2016 Main building. At least Hines nearby residential tower will balance things out aesthetically speaking. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2016 at 9:16 AM, nativehoustonion said:

Skyscraper.com states 2929 Weslayan is 533 feet tall and Market Square is 510 feet tall.  So it is not the tallest highrise in Houston.   

I'm not sure it's even the tallest residential building downtown.  Emporis has Market Square Tower at 498 feet and One Park Place at 501 feet.  (FWIW, Emporis has 2929 Weslayan at only 468 feet.  The Huntingdon still reigns as the tallest residential in Houston, at 503 feet.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2016 at 11:00 AM, intencity77 said:

Love, LOVE the idea of bringing more people to live downtown but I'm not liking this building. Too bulky, too beige, too boxy. Reminds me of a modernized version of the unattractive 2016 Main building. At least Hines nearby residential tower will balance things out aesthetically speaking. 

I disagree.  It is nothing to shout about,  but I don't think it resembles 2016 main. To me it looks more attractive in person.

Aris is a much more attractive building and does fit it better with MS, while at the same time looking more modern,  but I think this building is more safe than unattractive.  Now the embassy suites and the Hampton/homeward suites around Discovery Green,  those are unattractive buildings

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, adr said:

Street-level detail on Congress St.  

27945148461_f73edde62f_b.jpg

Note the entry arches they have framed out.

27409012123_76656bf037_b.jpg

Thanks for these.  I really like what they have done here.  As a pedestrian walking passed on the sidewalk, the building is going to feel "consistent with" other market square buildings.  The lower couple of floors of the building seem "grounded" in a prior era to me,. Good to see in the historic area.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HoustonIsHome said:

If we had made more of an effort to maintain more of the older crop of buildings maybe this one would have been forced to be more ornate.  Kind of like the hotel Monteleone reno.

Still mad at you Lancaster. 

If we had mad more of an effort, this land would have had something on it and this building may not have been built at all, no?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

If we had mad more of an effort, this land would have had something on it and this building may not have been built at all, no?

That isn't necessarily true. The monteleone was an expansion.  I said maintain the older crop of buildings,  not never alter them.

The Monteleone had outgrown it's space so they built a larger building.  But the stipulations was that what goes up needs to match or surpass what comes down.

The goal of historic preservation is not to stifle development. The goal is to maintain character.  You can build a completely new building and come out of it with even more character than before. The Monteleone is a great example of that. 

It may seem counterproductive to maximizing profits by placing limits on development/demolition,  but in the case of Rue Royale the positives outweigh the negatives. That street commands some of the highest retail lease prices.

With nothing around to match, or  aspire to surpass then we get embassy suites surrounded by asphalt lots.

Edited by HoustonIsHome

6 hours ago, H-TownChris2 said:

Man...I remember taking the picture of them installing the crane base as if it were yesterday...time flies...

I was thinking the same thing about 609 Main. Feels like the demo of the previous building was just yesterday and now the crown is almost finished. 

• Like 1