Market Square Tower: 40-Story High-Rise At 777 Preston St.

Urbannizer

4 hours ago, cspwal said:

Downtown needs something like the Midtown Randall's (which already seems more cramped than your typical grocery store) but more packed with stuff.

Maybe, too me that is "too big" for an "urban" store.  Angels on the head of a pin though.

i do remain surprised that a grocer other than Pheonica has not announced plans to move into downtown yet.  With all the new residents, their likely only needs to be one more.....

• Like 1

From far away, I really don't like the look of this building.  But, I do think that at street level, I am going to like it a lot.  I think I wrote this before on this thread.  Regardless, I am thinking that the developer has really done a terrific job on the first several floors blending the architecture of this new building into the history around it.  I'm betting that the casual pedestrian walking directly in front of this building will think that it "feels right".

• Like 1

I would love many more buildings that just scream history when you see them. I really love historical buildings and it'd be super cool if we could get a cool Robert A.M. Stern building up in here, as we don't have too many older skyscrapers. In my opinion, there's nothing more beautiful than a tastefully done historically building, and I appreciate the fact that the architects are attempting to blend their buildings in. (I believe that the Aris' base is pretty respectful as well, it looks like it could disguise itself as an older building, other than the glass shard, but I find the conflicting styles interesting and attractive.) This next part is a bit unrelated, but hey, this is an architectural forum. In my opinion, there's nothing better than a tastefully done cornice on a historic building! I wish a developer could build a few midrises/highrises in a neo-historic fashion, though that might not be too economical.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2016 at 6:27 PM, hindesky said:

Rooftop pool glass wall looks massive from the ground.

d2cyW4c.jpg

PMcpKBZ.jpg

Lower level pool is still under construction.

fUwVa96.jpg

Sidewalk pavers.

fdVLHM1.jpg

Im liking the details on the lower levels. What's with the missing "panel"/section near the top in the first couple of pictures?

The initial rendering did little to make me think this thing would turn out so well. The street level looks substantial unlike so many of the other apartments that have gone up this cycle that look like they'll last 8 years before they start to mold out and fall apart. I agree with the setbacks too. They're sexy. What a pleasant surprise compared to the Hotel Alessandra/Randall Davis bait and switch. 

Edited by KinkaidAlum
  • Like 7

There is a strong reference to the deco period with all of the detailing and setbacks. Very reminiscent of the mid twenties style that made such a statement in New York with the Chrysler, Paramount, and American International and in Houston one of my favorites.  The Gulf Building.

• Like 2

I would love to have more neo-deco buildings around the Market Square area. I don't know my stuff too well, but I believe deco has many architectural motifs and designs, which this tower seems to lack. The setbacks, however, are very nice.

• Like 1

^^^ hey guys, just what are "SETBACKS?"  i'm kinda getting tired of acting as though i know what you guys are talking about.  this particular word is getting utilized pretty often lately... why?

Edited by monarch
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, monarch said:

^^^ hey guys, just what are "SETBACKS!"  i'm kinda getting tired of acting as though i know what you guys are talking about.  this particular word is getting utilized pretty often lately... why?

*uneducated guess alert*

Setbacks in this context are where the vertical surface of the building is tiered with a base podium, a main tower that is a bit smaller dimensionally, and upper floors that are smaller still.  The ESB is a good example; I remember hearing (perhaps incorrectly) that the higher buildings were designed, the narrower they had to be at the top to prevent their shadows from blocking out the sun as much.

1-empire_state_building.jpg

• Like 4

The setback is the distance from where the building is from the street. Therefore this building creates a wider sidewalk encouraging a walkable and pedestrian friendly environment.

.....just off the top of my head

Edited by Nole23
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nate99 said:

*uneducated guess alert*

Setbacks in this context are where the vertical surface of the building is tiered with a base podium, a main tower that is a bit smaller dimensionally, and upper floors that are smaller still.  The ESB is a good example; I remember hearing (perhaps incorrectly) that the higher buildings were designed, the narrower they had to be at the top to prevent their shadows from blocking out the sun as much.

1-empire_state_building.jpg

This is on the right track; I believe zoning in NYC (at least when a lot of the towers were built) required setbacks from the street that became larger as they went higher.  Compare it to something like the Sears Willis tower in Chicago, which only starts tapering because of structural considerations.

If you look, it is the same distance from the street until over half way up

x-postcard-chicago-sears-tower-backgroun

• Like 1