Texaco Building (now The Star) At 1111 Rusk Street

editor

There was a book on Houston, mostly photos, published in the 1930's, I want to say 1936 for the centennial. Large format book, black and white photos. One of these photos was of a small girl in a dress inside the arched walkway of the Texaco building. She's skipping, if I remember correctly. It is a great photo.

I cannot remember the name or author of the book. Does anyone have a guess?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Star is officially open. First tenants moved in last month.

"Units are between about 730 to 1,730 square feet. There are 207 one-bedroom, one-bath units and 79 two-bedroom, two-bath units. The building's first tenants moved in late last month."

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/02/14/photos-luxury-downtown-apartment-debuts-in-former.html

• Like 7

1 hour ago, lockmat said:

The first floor interior of the southwest corner of the building is finished. Very sleek inside. The first floor eastern side is still under construction.

Yea I believe that's going to be a restaurant or other retail.

My guess is they still plan on building that but they can get their certificate of occupancy first and start bringing in some cash flow via rent. If you look closely, that's just a raised deck, a few pillars, a small roof, and some trellises. That can be built last. 

• Like 1

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/multifamily/after-more-than-a-quarter-century-a-star-is-reborn-71030#ath

Targeting restaurants, specialty grocers and soft goods, 75% of the retail is in final contract negotiations. Future on-site dining will support both poolside and residence food delivery services.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...