Texaco Building (now The Star) At 1111 Rusk Street

editor

1 minute ago, mattyt36 said:

Great platitude that demonstrates no consideration of the specific work being done in this situation.

We're talking about relatively rote, "check-the-box" processing of permit applications in accordance with City regulations.  I'd say it's a safe bet that processing capacity is pretty close to a linear function of the number of staff.

You obviously don't work in this business...its not that simple (I wish it was). The permitting process has an underlying level of subjectivity that is predicated on who is furnishing the permit at the office.

However, my previous question was. Once again, simple question: Are you quicker and more agile when you are small or when you are big?

We can work up to the bigger idea, but thats a non-starter if you can't even break big ideas into smaller parts and answer simple foundational questions.

40 minutes ago, Luminare said:

You obviously don't work in this business...its not that simple (I wish it was). The permitting process has an underlying level of subjectivity that is predicated on who is furnishing the permit at the office.

However, my previous question was. Once again, simple question: Are you quicker and more agile when you are small or when you are big?

We can work up to the bigger idea, but thats a non-starter if you can't even break big ideas into smaller parts and answer simple foundational questions.

Luminaire, instead of speaking in overly simplistic and trite generalities, why don't you start with explaining how your prescription moving the same people to different offices to perform the same job magically solves the problem simply because small is "quicker and more agile."  Are you now saying the problem is with subjectivity?  Decentralization seems like a fine solution to address that. 

Edited by mattyt36

19 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Luminaire, instead of speaking in overly simplistic and trite generalities, why don't you start with explaining how your prescription moving the same people to different offices to perform the same job magically solves the problem simply because small is "quicker and more agile."  Are you now saying the problem is with subjectivity?  Decentralization seems like a fine solution to address that. 

I believe one wise soul once said, "Only a fool believes they are the smartest in the room".

I can infer this by the very fact that you believe that you are too good or too "smart" to talk in what you arrogantly point out as being "simplistic" and "trite". We can't even begin to build upon anything until we start at the very bottom. We have to base ourselves in the general and then narrow the discussion into something more detailed (I can't believe I even have to say this. Its so fundamental it should be common sense or self-evident...) We have to be able to agree with fundamental understandings of things and be able to agree to simple questions.

Why make this so difficult on yourself?....Again: Are you quicker and more agile when you are small or when you are big?

Maybe that is too complicated though. Maybe we need to start somewhere else. Even simpler question: Do you believe the world is a zero-sum game?

Finally you need to take your emotion out of this. I'm not here to question you as a person, but your line of reasoning! Your line of thinking is not properly grounded for a discussion to even happen.

Are you willing to learn something today? Or are you here to waste peoples time, and server space.

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

I believe one wise soul once said, "Only a fool believes they are the smartest in the room".

I can infer this by the very fact that you believe that you are too good or too "smart" to talk in what you arrogantly point out as being "simplistic" and "trite". We can't even begin to build upon anything until we start at the very bottom. We have to base ourselves in the general and then narrow the discussion into something more detailed (I can't believe I even have to say this. Its so fundamental it should be common sense or self-evident...) We have to be able to agree with fundamental understandings of things and be able to agree to simple questions.

Why make this so difficult on yourself?....Again: Are you quicker and more agile when you are small or when you are big?

Maybe that is too complicated though. Maybe we need to start somewhere else. Even simpler question: Do you believe the world is a zero-sum game?

Finally you need to take your emotion out of this. I'm not here to question you as a person, but your line of reasoning! Your line of thinking is not properly grounded for a discussion to even happen.

Are you willing to learn something today? Or are you here to waste peoples time, and server space.

Oh Loomy, bless your heart and those 12-inch stilettos you seem to be standing in.  Emotional, eh?

Lots of lecturing and, what, 4 posts, yet no substantive rationale given as to why decentralization is an answer for the permitting problem you're concerned with.  

By any reasonably objective standard, especially 4 posts in with plenty of ignored opportunities for expanding your ideas ("Oh, I mean as part of a comprehensive process redesign," or whatever it means, exactly), parroting and reparroting an empty turn of phrase as a rationale is trite and simplistic.  Sports are all about quickness and agility, so maybe we should run your maxim by Jeff Luhnow, Brian Gaine, or Darryl Morey--why the need to fill out the roster?   Maybe they should run split squads!  (Or, am I wrong, "quicker and more agile when you are small" is a widely recognized maxim solely in the municipal permitting industry?)

And no, sir, please do not deign to "dumb it down" for Li'l Ole Me--quite the contrary--I'm asking specifics as to how decentralization would help relieve workload issues caused by high demand attributable to Harvey reconstruction (an entirely believable problem another poster referred to) or "subjectivity" (another problem you have recently introduced).  

("Only a fool believes they are the smartest in the room," eh?  That sentiment jibes oh-so-well with naked condescension such as "Your line of thinking is not properly grounded for a discussion to even happen"; "are you willing to learn something today"; "or are you here to waste peoples time, and server space," doesn't it?  It actually jibes pretty well with your screenname.  Someone seems to have an inappropriately elevated opinion of himself.  But I'll let you have this one, Loomy . . . it seems to be an issue near and dear to your heart . . . and emotionally so.)

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 1

@mattyt36 So what you are saying is that you are not only far beyond in intellect that you can't be bothered to answer a few simple questions (as its beneath your obvious high-intellect) or even learn from others (I mean why should you since you seem to be all-knowing), but you really do consider yourself to also be supremely clever, funny, and original, right? I'm simply clarifying. If you can answer this question (at least give this poor depraved soul one answer to this measly one question) then I'll tell you everything you want to know.

7 minutes ago, Luminare said:

@mattyt36 So what you are saying is that you are not only far beyond in intellect that you can't be bothered to answer a few simple questions (as its beneath your obvious high-intellect) or even learn from others (I mean why should you since you seem to be all-knowing), but you really do consider yourself to also be supremely clever, funny, and original, right? I'm simply clarifying. If you can answer this question (at least give this poor depraved soul one answer to this measly one question) then I'll tell you everything you want to know.

Yeah, that's it exactly . . . 👍

9 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Yeah, that's it exactly . . . 👍

Excellent!

Yeah...no...I think I'm going to pass lololol

But thanks for letting us know exactly the kind of person you really are :) Ciao.

32 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

And still we wait for any hint of why multiple scattered offices would help the permitting process.😴

Well, may I ask, why would one be better? I mean it does have its advantages, but what could be the disadvantages you might think?

EDIT: Example will be New York City. Super Big City right, but does everything get permitted in Manhattan? Nope. Each Borough has its own permitting authority.

Edited by Luminare

5 hours ago, Luminare said:

Well, may I ask, why would one be better? I mean it does have its advantages, but what could be the disadvantages you might think?

EDIT: Example will be New York City. Super Big City right, but does everything get permitted in Manhattan? Nope. Each Borough has its own permitting authority.

That's reasonable given that 4 of the 5 boroughs have populations close to or larger than Houston, and Staten Island is a 3 day trip from Manhattan. Please try again.

Ross you don’t sound like you’re ready to learn as to why decentralization is the solution (obviously it’s the answer because it isn’t not the answer) and instead only want to waste server space.

Thanks for letting us all know exactly what kind of person you really are.

Matty: “Doc Luminaire, I have a stomachache.”

Doc Luminaire: “Well we better remove your small intestine.”

M: “Can’t we start with some antibiotics?”

DL: “You obviously don’t work in this industry. Let me ask you a simple question: Is a bitter pill hard to swallow?”

M: “Before you remove my small intestine can you explain to me why you think it’s the right solution?”

DL: “Someone once told me a patient who thinks he’s a doctor has a fool for a patient. Please answer my question. Is a bitter pill hard to swallow? Or do I need to dumb it down? Do you think two wrongs make a right? Once you tell me that, I’ll tell you why I know removing your small intestine will solve the problem. Are you really here to fix your stomachache or waste the time of the entire medical community and space in my file cabinet?”

M: “OK Doc maybe I’ll seek a second opinion.”

Nurse Houston 19514: “Doctor, I’m still wondering why exactly you are recommending to remove Matty’s small intestine.”

DL: “Nurse Houston, can you tell me why that isn’t the right decision? EDIT: I’ve heard another patient got their small intestine removed once.”

M: “Get me the hell outta here.”

DL: “Thanks for letting everyone know exactly what kind of person you really are.”

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

From Bisnow Houston:

Mia Bella’s leased a 3,800 SF space in The Star at 1111 Rusk in Downtown Houston. EDGE Realty Partners' Debbie Adams represented the landlord. Waterman Steel's Emily Durham represented the tenant.

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/deal-sheet/this-weeks-houston-deal-sheet-98912

I wish someone would lease out their old space on Main Street, it’s a nice location and it’s sad to see it all boarded up.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 10:31 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

From Houston Chronicle today:

On downtown plans that went bust: For the first time, Berg has confirmed that the restaurant inside The Star apartment building in downtown at 1111 Rusk is not happening. Announced in May 2017, Benjamin's would have taken a good chunk of The Star's ground-floor space at San Jacinto and Rusk behind the former Texaco building's beautiful vaulted colonnade.

"It didn't work out," Berg said, declining to elaborate on details of the failed project that would have given him a prime space in downtown's busy and growing restaurant scene.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Restaurateur-Benjamin-Berg-to-open-second-B-B-13866369.php

I was at BB Lemon several months ago and talked to Berg for a little while and asked about the Benjamin.  He didn't go into great detail, but basically saidthe owner was being very unreasonable and was making the process way more difficult than it should have been.

Really too bad.  The Benjamin would have been awesome in that unique of a location.

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:31 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

From Houston Chronicle today:

On downtown plans that went bust: For the first time, Berg has confirmed that the restaurant inside The Star apartment building in downtown at 1111 Rusk is not happening. Announced in May 2017, Benjamin's would have taken a good chunk of The Star's ground-floor space at San Jacinto and Rusk behind the former Texaco building's beautiful vaulted colonnade.

"It didn't work out," Berg said, declining to elaborate on details of the failed project that would have given him a prime space in downtown's busy and growing restaurant scene.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Restaurateur-Benjamin-Berg-to-open-second-B-B-13866369.php

Wow, they really screwed that one up. It's not like that corner is the hub of downtown excitement; an elegant steakhouse would have been perfect.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, mattyt36 said:

Article referenced indicates Mia Bella GreenStreet location closing, which would make sende.

I only ate there once ... wasn’t impressed ... but I could’ve ordered the wrong thing.

6 minutes ago, cspwal said:

When I ate there it was very noisy, considering there were 6 other people there

17 hours ago, downtownian said:

According to page 12 of the below, Mia Bella is opening at the Star. Hope it’s not the beautiful space that Benjamin’s would have taken:

http://www.downtowndistrict.org/static/media/uploads/attachments/downtown_market_update_2019_q2.pdf

I went to Mia Bella a few months ago. Food was good... Solid and dependable Italian.

The space in Greenstreet is awful. They are simply moving to the Star. It is a good move for them. I bet they move into A or B on the map.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It looks like a La Madeleine is almost fully built out in the Rusk and Fannin corner of the building. Construction screening on the windows was removed, and  when I walked by over the weekend I could see pallets of shrink-wrapped furniture ready to be unpacked.  

Edited by jermh
Edited because I can't spell.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, monarch said:

La_Madeleine_logo.png

^^^ @kbates2 no, this one.  actually, i haven't eaten there in years.  they used to have the BEST oatmeal, raisin, pecan cookies ever!  they used to be located in the tunnel.  i may just have to swing by one day...

Sorry to get yalls hopes up, but  I was wrong. It's actually Mia Bella not a La Madeleine. I'll post a picture of the permit on the door below.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jermh said:

Sorry to get yalls hopes up, but  I was wrong. It's actually Mia Bella not a La Madeleine. I'll post a picture of the permit on the door below.

Quite the opposite, not a fan of La Madeleine at all and I think it would do horribly in that spot.

• Like 2