Texaco Building (now The Star) At 1111 Rusk Street

editor

4 minutes ago, Subdude said:

Is it possible to tell if the abandoned tunnel section from this block under Capital Street will be reopened and reconnected to the building?  

I haven't looked at it from the Fannin side to see if they covered over that door with the tub wall in a while, but I'll try next time I walk by.  It would be cool if that tunnel remained open and reached over in to the Magnolia and then to 609 to tie in to the tunnels.

I'm trying to figure out what the next step is here. The surface in the new hole looks like gunite, and it was sprayed all over the base of the shoring I-beams that are tied in to the temporary retaining walls. I guess eventually that it will have a concrete foundation like the other side, but they poured that right on to the dirt. 

The proposed tower would go over the area with steel on it already, so this side only needs to support a relatively lightweight parking garage.  I assume the white we see here is just the layer to cover the dirt that goes down before putting down the rebar for the slab, but it won't need to be anywhere near as beefy as the concrete poured on the other side.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rechlin said:

The proposed tower would go over the area with steel on it already, so this side only needs to support a relatively lightweight parking garage.  I assume the white we see here is just the layer to cover the dirt that goes down before putting down the rebar for the slab, but it won't need to be anywhere near as beefy as the concrete poured on the other side.

The coating is definitely just a base/stabilization layer of some sort. They prepped and leveled the dirt one day and then  few days later it was all covered over.

I know next to nothing about structural engineering, so it's interesting to see how they all come together to enable the end product. This building cycle downtown has been fun to watch from that perspective with many differing approaches. .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They seem to be pouring some very large columns in the pictures.  But, I don't know as I am anything but an engineer.  Could it be that one section of the garage will have one structural system and the other section will have a more robust section?

This thing is so far behind schedule that the highrise that was planned to be built after construction is now also behind schedule.

• Like 1

Even the San Jacinto side of the hole that they are working on now doesn’t have an extensive foundation to it. I’m not sure what they are doing in the big squares that were voided out of the mat pour, but there is nowhere near the amount of steel down there as compared to the Hillcorp tower, and they did not drill many, if any, pilings. It could all be up to variations in soil or something else in the construction design, but just watching this compared to the others, I would make the uneducated guess that the tower option was taken off the table unless some kind of foundation structure goes into those holes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...