Texaco Building (now The Star) At 1111 Rusk Street

editor

The stone work on this building looks great, as well as the second story balcony and ornate features. I believe it will look really nice in contrast with the ultra modern look (glass, metal, sharp angles) of the tower that is to be built.

Edited by Yoda

On 3/24/2016 at 6:34 AM, Nate99 said:

They are using some giant foam blocks (presumably) to create voids for the mat pour, I haven't seen anything like it before.

x8CQ7GN.jpg

Okay guys, I'm a bit confused and am not caught up with this building...Can anyone please tell me what the foundation is for? For what exactly?

Swamplot speculating about the tower foundation...

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/28162-1111-rusk-texaco-building-renovation/?page=32#comment-529571

Someone that knows better than I might be able to look back through the photos and hazard a guess, but didn't see the kinds of pilings being drilled or extensive foundation work that the other recent towers got for their foundations here. Could be apples and oranges, but Hillcorp's tower had much more rebar and Hines' Aris seemed to have a lot more pilings.

6 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

that's what soil samples are for... LOL

I guess that came across as me making a conclusion, I'm certainly not qualified to do so. The big foam blocks and other work they are doing for this one look superficially unique compared to the others I've seen recently downtown. They still have a partial "tub" from the old hole/building intact on the Fannin and Capitol sides too. It will be interesting to see how they tie it all together.