Texaco Building (now The Star) At 1111 Rusk Street

editor

According to the latest development map (April 2015)

Probably got demoted because the tower is no longer going up in this cycle, and the main building is there.  And remember that parking garages can go up fast

4Q 2015 seems unlikely, especially to have that garage done. They have zero new foundation work started.

• 2 weeks later...

The large garage might be a bet on a developing downtown nightlife scene. All the office towers nearby are well-provided with parking, I believe.

The one good thing about it is that at least it lessens the pressure for a garage on another block. Wish they could find a way to break up those long horizontal bans, though. Is that GFR at the bottom?

• Like 1

All the office towers nearby are well-provided with parking, I believe.

Afeared not, at least for the time being.  There are some places where the waiting list is so long that they won't even accept new applicants, and visitor parking is both expensive and difficult to find at, say, 9 AM.  Each of the dozen or so new buildings is taking the place of some parking - several floors of densely packed valet parking in the case of Skanska's Capitol Tower.

I've got a death grip on my reserved slot on a lower floor of a garage that's three, almost four blocks away from my office.

Afeared not, at least for the time being. There are some places where the waiting list is so long that they won't even accept new applicants, and visitor parking is both expensive and difficult to find at, say, 9 AM. Each of the dozen or so new buildings is taking the place of some parking - several floors of densely packed valet parking in the case of Skanska's Capitol Tower.

I've got a death grip on my reserved slot on a lower floor of a garage that's three, almost four blocks away from my office.

Yeah I've heard parking downtown is actually pretty tight.

Where do the JW Marriott guests park? Or guests of the Magnolia, etc?

It would seem like an automated parking garage would be a prime candidate for downtown.. Somewhere like the half block along Fannin between Walker/Rusk, east of BG Group. Pretty central location in relation to multiple office buildings and what are seemingly valet only hotels (idk where the garages are/they park?)

JW Marriott has self parking in the Walker @ Main garage and valet next door with valets who often live up to the stereotype about... er... we'll just say "working quickly."  IDK about the Magnolia; I suspect in the Saks garage south of it on Fannin.

There once was an automated garage downtown, on Clay between Milam and Travis IIRC.  It was torn down and replaced by a conventional ramped garage.

huh? I'm talking like a completely automated garage with vehicle elevators and little slips/slots for each individual car, like the type they are just now starting to build in dense urban cities like NYC..

interesting.. i wasn't sure where those hotel guests were supposed to park, or places like Hotel Icon, since none of those more urban hotels really have dedicated parking garages that i know of. an automated garage for that handful of local hotels could be useful, and free up hundreds of spaces in the conventional garages for office workers.

If I were to travel to Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens or any of those places, I think renting a car would be more trouble than it was worth.  Actually, come to think of it, I traveled to Portland, OR a couple of weeks ago and gave up my rental car when I arrived.  By doing that, I not only saved money but also had a very nice time.  That probably would not have been possible if Portland didn't have a really well-designed light-rail system.  For visitors, at least, it takes one close to everywhere one would want to go, without the fuss involved in finding a place to park a car.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what's going in the middle there...you can't really tell from the rendering

Yeah, tough to say. I'm guessing that the street level lobby and/or retail area will need to extend way back under the garage portion given how narrow the remaining portion of the old building is. Higher up, it's hard to make out what the existing building is going to mate up with on the garage portion going off of the interior that we can see now. They still have not touched the ground at all where the garage will be built, so they have  long while before this is done.

It will be interesting to see the floorplans.

For reference:

Texaco_View1.jpg

Edited by Nate99

The quarter 4 of 2015

If that happens to work out, they are going to be flying over there for the next 5 months.  They haven't drilled a piling or anything for the garage section. I'm guessing that they have just declined to update off of what they originally told the development folks.

If that happens to work out, they are going to be flying over there for the next 5 months.  They haven't drilled a piling or anything for the garage section. I'm guessing that they have just declined to update off of what they originally told the development folks.

Either that, or they're going to borrow a Skyhouse crew.

• Like 1