Texaco Building (now The Star) At 1111 Rusk Street

editor

That article says it's connected to the downtown tunnel system.  Does that mean they are reopening the tunnel between it and the Magnolia?  Unfortunately that wouldn't be very useful, because the tunnel between the Magnolia and 609 Main was filled in when 609 Main was built.

I hope the additional tower for phase 2 isn't dead.  I assume that blank space on the roof of the left side of the garage on the above photo is going to be the base for it, though that's a very different location than was shown on the early renderings.  Also I see the garage has completely changed and grown since the early renderings; see below.  I don't see how the low garage before would have provided enough parking for the whole development, so maybe that's a sign that some variation on the tower is still planned.

i19wso.jpg

• Like 1

I imagine the rents on the north side are going to be less than the south side. Parting the curtains to stare at a garage, that is going to involve  interesting sales strategies.

Rechlin hope you are right about your assumptions. The garage height has been roughly doubled from the previous drawing. Guess construction depends how the new residential towers fill up. Hope they all have a waiting list.

2 hours ago, rechlin said:

That article says it's connected to the downtown tunnel system.  Does that mean they are reopening the tunnel between it and the Magnolia?  Unfortunately that wouldn't be very useful, because the tunnel between the Magnolia and 609 Main was filled in when 609 Main was built.

I hope the additional tower for phase 2 isn't dead.  I assume that blank space on the roof of the left side of the garage on the above photo is going to be the base for it, though that's a very different location than was shown on the early renderings.  Also I see the garage has completely changed and grown since the early renderings; see below.  I don't see how the low garage before would have provided enough parking for the whole development, so maybe that's a sign that some variation on the tower is still planned.

Interesting about the tunnel connection.  The Star's website says "Future residential access to the downtown tunnel system"...  Could they maybe be planning to hook in through BG Group Place or maybe directly to 609 Main?

Edit:  I just found in another thread that the Texaco building developer said early on that they would be connected to BG Group Place and to another high rise being developed to the north (obviously 609 Main).

Edited by Houston19514

as far as the addition on top of the parking garage, there was a lot of foundation work done, and a lot of time spent in that hole before the garage started to rise, maybe it was to have a foundation capable of supporting the addition? and then again, maybe they were just moving hoffa here?

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:57 AM, rechlin said:

The foundation work they did in the hole was in two distinct phases with one set of work on the Fannin/"tower" half and another on the San Jacinto side.  I couldn't tell you if any of it would be up to holding up a tower, but it would be interesting to see. They do have a concrete core going up in the middle of the steel frame, not sure where that would fall in the tower as rendered.

I'm pretty sure they built a foundation tub wall that blocked off the old tunnel entrance over to Magnolia.

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

I wonder where their tunnel access is going then

I suppose they could have cut a hole there, or maybe I'm just remembering incorrectly.

I think that tunnel went to the garage. I'm not even sure the garage is connected to anything else.

I found an old map in a video on the chronicle's website

http://www.chron.com/chrontv/this-forgotten-day-in-houston/article/1967-Next-phase-of-downtown-tunnels-complete-6598054.php

It shows a tunnel between this block and the garage to the north.  I wonder if there are more old tunnels that are abandoned that aren't on this map

tunnel map 1967.JPG

Edit:

For comparison, here's a link to the most up to date tunnel map I could find

https://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2016-07-28/2016-AB-MAP-Buildings.pdf

Edited by cspwal
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2017 at 9:25 AM, Twinsanity02 said:

Rechlin hope you are right about your assumptions. The garage height has been roughly doubled from the previous drawing. Guess construction depends how the new residential towers fill up. Hope they all have a waiting list.

I found a quote from the developer from quite early in the process, where he said the tower (which was of uncertain height) would be on top of a 9 level parking garage.  So it seems that rendering with the shorter parking garage has been inoperative for a very long time.

It might be a grocery store

http://www.royalbluegrocery.com/

• Royal Blue Grocery is a compact urban market that opened its doors in 2006. With six locations in Downtown Austin and one in Dallas' iconic Highland Park Village, each Royal Blue is different from the next, tailored to the neighborhood it serves, and the people who frequent it every day. Royal Blue offers a little bit of everything, from Stumptown coffee and freshly prepared grab-and-go offerings, to conventional grocery and convenience items, and always tons of locally sourced products from a long list of unique brands and producers.
  • Called a bodega by some, a corner store by others, Royal Blue is a modern urban grocery store that has just what you need - where you need it, when you need it.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They put a tree up on the garage, so I guess it's finally done growing.

The renderings suggest that there will be some cladding and paint added to obscure the metal framework of the garage, and I think something retail/restaurant was planned for the ground floor, but I might have that wrong. In any case, they have the amenity deck up there that would look horrible perched on top of something that would not look out of place in an olefins unit in Deer Park.

03.jpg

• Like 5