Skyhouse Houston II: Multifamily At 1044 Jefferson St.

lockmat

No, one A/C unit per apartment unit. Two apartment units per balcony with a divider in the center, making it two A/C units per balcony.

Edit: Before they put in the dividers, they were one balcony in total. I mean, technically it is still one balcony but that divider separates the units more now.

Interesting. I am definitely not in the age demographic that Skyhouse is marketing to and I am starting to see why that is.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the image quality but I can't believe they removed the trees! They looked so good along the rail.

13940704536_2a32358c89_h.jpg

Edit:

Here is the before in case no one is seeing the difference...

OdcGxQo.jpg?1

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1

That's disappointing.  Hopefully they replace them with another form of pedestrian friendly tree.  Downtown can always use more greenery.

After further review, the oaks were definitely too large.  Maybe something like a Hedge Maple would be more suitable.

Edited by brijonmang

It would be nice to know their reasoning for cutting down mature Live Oaks.

I would have preferred seeing them trimmed back, but not down. There aren't enough trees down town to begin with.

I'm sure these trees were in the city right of way, and Did the city grant permission, or are they going to fine the developer

Like they recently have for residential developers?

I'm not trying to make this a big deal but I would like to know why they chose to do this.

• Like 1

you'd rethink that when the birds roost in the evenings.

damn grackles.

Is this a problem that's unique to downtown? I've never had it anywhere I've lived. There are huge trees right outside my window right now. Yes, there are birds in the trees sometimes but it doesn't bother me. I did have a bird living in a dryer vent oustide an apartment window once. That was annoying.

Edited by jgriff

i for one, simply do not appreciate the "exposed" cement design as per this edifice.  it just appears incomplete vs cheap.

The exposed concrete is probably my favorite thing about this building; its an honest expression of its structure.

The masonry veneer at the ground floor looks cheap to me because it looks poorly detailed and out of place.

• Like 1

The exposed concrete is probably my favorite thing about this building; its an honest expression of its structure.

The masonry veneer at the ground floor looks cheap to me because it looks poorly detailed and out of place.

I completely agree. Not many people do exposed concrete because of the risk involved. Not much you can do if you have a bad pour. If you patch, it will always be evident.

Google "Tadao Ando houses" for some of the best examples of exposed concrete in residential construction:

openhouse-barcelona-shop-gallery-beach-h

The impact on the skyline from Montrose is minimal but it's still nice. If only they would do something about the abandoned buildings...

attachicon.gifIMG_1789.jpg

^ I miss being able to see the entire elevation of the planar rhombus step back and cut out elevator lobbies or "staircase cuts" of the First City Tower. 

tumblr_n4xjxsVh4C1rolcooo1_500.jpg

Craneless

• Like 4

It's crazy how small this building looks when viewed from the south (coming up 288). Even though it's 24 stories it looks tiny compared to the rest of the skyline. It really reminds you how massive some of the office buildings downtown really are. Still, it's in a good spot that is highly visible from that angle.

I completely agree. Not many people do exposed concrete because of the risk involved. Not much you can do if you have a bad pour. If you patch, it will always be evident.

Google "Tadao Ando houses" for some of the best examples of exposed concrete in residential construction:

openhouse-barcelona-shop-gallery-beach-h

I am a huge fan of modern/minimalist interiors. But, I hate exposed concrete. I just looks "unfinished and unsightly" to me. Others will justifiably love it. But not me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...