Skyhouse Houston II: Multifamily At 1044 Jefferson St.

lockmat

Man, really wish my friend picked this place. He's going to live in the Muse on Richmond instead, but this place looked nice in the Austin Skyhouse brochure. Kinda sucks that you have to put down a $200 deposit just to take a look at the units in this place...

I wonder why they posted such old photos. The Skyhouse roof has had glass for a while... taken today:

They posted these to facebook Thursday of last week, along with a few other almost complete interior common area shots.

https://www.facebook.com/skyhouse.houston/posts/651823048225425

The glass went in sometime between then and Saturday afternoon when I drove by it on the Pierce Elevated.

They also posted yesterday that the "rooftop" tennis court is done, but it's actually on the roof of the parking garage. I am curious what the top floor will be used for, though.  The last residential floor is the 23rd, and the pool, gym and common areas are on the 24th, but it's a 25 story tower.

They posted these to facebook Thursday of last week, along with a few other almost complete interior common area shots.

https://www.facebook.com/skyhouse.houston/posts/651823048225425

The glass went in sometime between then and Saturday afternoon when I drove by it on the Pierce Elevated.

They also posted yesterday that the "rooftop" tennis court is done, but it's actually on the roof of the parking garage. I am curious what the top floor will be used for, though.  The last residential floor is the 23rd, and the pool, gym and common areas are on the 24th, but it's a 25 story tower.

Isn't it a 24-story tower?  That's what all the information I can find indicates, including the title of this thread.  ;-)

The cheapest available unit according to the leasing website is a 621 sq. ft. studio at $1,390.

Yup! But there's a catch, the studio unit is facing the garage. Literally, all you see is some sky from the balcony and an entire wall of parking garage.

Good to know Skyhouse has some type of lighting on top. I know many will complain about light pollution, but I feel like downtown really does need more "cool" lighting. Back shortly after the recession, I remember downtown looking completely dead and dark. 

• Like 1

Good to know Skyhouse has some type of lighting on top. I know many will complain about light pollution, but I feel like downtown really does need more "cool" lighting. Back shortly after the recession, I remember downtown looking completely dead and dark.

Modern 21st century cities have lighting. We need more lighting.

Does anyone know what that means?

Is that a "awful", "bad", " average", "good", or "excellent" number? To me that seems a bit low for a "high demand" property. But I have zero experience in these matters.

I don't know either. Belfiore was 75 percent, I think some of the luxury places are doing well. This is not a luxury building.

Where would you rather live in a high rise?

Memorial

Museum District

Uptown

Greenway

Upper Kirby

Downtown

I don't think Downtown is #1 on many peoples lists

Although it might be on mine if I had season tickets to the Astros and Rockets.

That is why they have the Urban Living Intiative in the first place.

Downtown has some cool stuff like sports, conventions and theater but does it have the other factors that make people want to live there such as lots of cool people, nightlife, energy, music etc?

Not yet, we all hope it is getting there. Maybe it will start with one or two great places and build from there.

You can't compare with Belfiore, which is a condo. Unlike apartments, condos require a high pre-sales percentage (would guess in the 40's or 50's these days) to get their construction financing; so developers spend a lot of money in pre sales before breaking ground.

On the other hand, apartments typically start preleasing only a few months before opening the first phase. In my experience, 25% prelease is actually quite high. Most apartments open with only about 20-30% of units available, so at 25% they are pretty much "sold-out" for phase 1.

• Like 2

You can't compare with Belfiore, which is a condo. Unlike apartments, condos require a high pre-sales percentage (would guess in the 40's or 50's these days) to get their construction financing; so developers spend a lot of money in pre sales before breaking ground.

On the other hand, apartments typically start preleasing only a few months before opening the first phase. In my experience, 25% prelease is actually quite high. Most apartments open with only about 20-30% of units available, so at 25% they are pretty much "sold-out" for phase 1.

It probably also has to do with the construction delays.  I know when I first pre-leased back in January/February they were shooting to have the place open no later than June 1.  With the high demand for rental space, I know a lot of places weren't doing month to month lease extensions, so there were probably at least a few people that had to find somewhere else to live when the building wasn't ready on time and their current lease was expiring.