Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

On 1/7/2020 at 10:50 PM, clutchcity94 said:

Will this be the first 7-11 in Houston? 

On 1/8/2020 at 5:53 AM, Mattie said:

No, they just built one on Bay Area in Clear Lake. Not sure if it’s open yet 

There is one at Townsen/1960 in Humble that's a new build that has looked 48 hours away from opening for almost a month. I wonder if they'll open a la Kohl's with a bunch of locations at once. No 7/11 signage up, but that's basically the only thing that's missing. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 9:03 AM, phillip_white said:

This building has been vacant for at least 3-4 years, so a car dealership is better than nothing. Just a little concerning that they didn't spell their own name correctly on the CO permit.

20191211_122145

The misspelling doesn't appear to have interfered with their opening. Delta Auto Alliance

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

According to Yelp!, Advantage BMW service building (2101 San Jacinto) is closed.
Realtor signs have recently appeared, and a service bay entrance has been boarded up. 
Has anyone heard about a possible new tenant or redevelopment of this property?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

According to Yelp!, Advantage BMW service building (2101 San Jacinto) is closed.
Realtor signs have recently appeared, and a service bay entrance has been boarded up. 

Ohh I really hope so.. this and the other one off main...it no offense against them just feel the area has evolved  past these places and could be put to better use...like restate 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

I believe they closed for construction/remodeling. They recently applied for a setback variance so not sure if this a major change to the existing structure or if they are adding an additional one.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Pacesetters Personnel Services (PPS) has closed!!!! It’s all boarded up! Of course we knew this was part of the Rice Development but I’m just so happy to see it finally gone! That has been ground zero for the homeless in the area. Granted, now they are all congregating along the fence. Now all that’s left to be closed is that sketchy MetroPCS/Corner store.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, midtowndweller said:

The Pacesetters Personnel Services (PPS) has closed!!!! It’s all boarded up! Of course we knew this was part of the Rice Development but I’m just so happy to see it finally gone! That has been ground zero for the homeless in the area. Granted, now they are all congregating along the fence. Now all that’s left to be closed is that sketchy MetroPCS/Corner store.

Do you know if that Jack-in-the-Box next door will be torn down as a part of the Rice plan? 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 2/16/2021 at 10:02 AM, mattyt36 said:

Does anyone know what's going up at the site of the old Hefley's that burned down (138ish W Gray?).  It looks to be a 2-story steel frame structure.

I believe its going to be a bar and possibly mixed use with some offices and a penthouse for the man himself on the upper floors.

• Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

There is a TABC sign up in the window of the building where Next Level E-Sports was supposed to open up. Here are the details:

Notice is hereby given in accordance with the terms and provisions of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code that Eleven 11 Lounge Group, LLC D/B/A Eleven 11 Lounge has filed application for Mixed Beverage Permit, Mixed Beverage Late Hours Permit, Beverage Cartage Permit, Food and Beverage Certificate. Said business to be conducted at 2402 Austin Street, Houston (Harris County), Texas 77004. Eleven 11 Lounge Group, LLC D/B/A Eleven 11 Lounge David Gonzalez, Manager

There is also a business listing under that name/location on Google Maps.

Has anyone heard anything? Seems too big for a hookah lounge. Maybe a nightclub?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phillip_white said:

There is a TABC sign up in the window of the building where Next Level E-Sports was supposed to open up. Here are the details:

Notice is hereby given in accordance with the terms and provisions of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code that Eleven 11 Lounge Group, LLC D/B/A Eleven 11 Lounge has filed application for Mixed Beverage Permit, Mixed Beverage Late Hours Permit, Beverage Cartage Permit, Food and Beverage Certificate. Said business to be conducted at 2402 Austin Street, Houston (Harris County), Texas 77004. Eleven 11 Lounge Group, LLC D/B/A Eleven 11 Lounge David Gonzalez, Manager

There is also a business listing under that name/location on Google Maps.

Has anyone heard anything? Seems too big for a hookah lounge. Maybe a nightclub?

I mean, this place closed back in 2015/2016 and served dope seafood, seemed to do with inability to pay back rent. https://www.zagat.com/r/eleven-xi-restaurant-bar-houston

Man, Austin street will be blowing up if they get a nice restaurant and bar along with gypsy poet, which is already kind of a neighborhood fave.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, X.R. said:

Man, Austin street will be blowing up if they get a nice restaurant and bar along with gypsy poet, which is already kind of a neighborhood fave.

Perhaps his trend may help revive the proposed bar and restaurant development that stalled out at 2403 Caroline, especially since the construction on Caroline St has mostly been completed.
With any luck the rebuilt street, sidewalks, and landscaping and appealing destinations will draw the people who live in the newly built apartments nearby to walk a few blocks.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, X.R. said:

I mean, this place closed back in 2015/2016 and served dope seafood, seemed to do with inability to pay back rent. https://www.zagat.com/r/eleven-xi-restaurant-bar-houston

That would be nice, but a local publication should be buzzing about that by now. Agreed that this sliver of Austin/Caroline has the potential to make a destination area if the landowners get off their butts.

3 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

Perhaps his trend may help revive the proposed bar and restaurant development that stalled out at 2403 Caroline, especially since the construction on Caroline St has mostly been completed.
With any luck the rebuilt street, sidewalks, and landscaping and appealing destinations will draw the people who live in the newly built apartments nearby to walk a few blocks.

That development opportunity is long gone. I believe this is what is moving forward:

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

That development opportunity is long gone. I believe this is what is moving forward:

I had the impression that the affordable housing was to be located at Caroline and McGowen, but not occupy all of the land that was previously earmarked for Midtown Commons.
If so, the existing building at 2403 Caroline would not be included (and could possibly become a bar, restaurant, or some combination).
Either way, I'm looking forward to any development that will breathe more life into these blocks.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

I had the impression that the affordable housing was to be located at Caroline and McGowen, but not occupy all of the land that was previously earmarked for Midtown Commons.
If so, the existing building at 2403 Caroline would not be included (and could possibly become a bar, restaurant, or some combination).
Either way, I'm looking forward to any development that will breathe more life into these blocks.

The permits for Caroline Lofts mention Building 2, so I would guess they are developing in phases. All of the land along Caroline and a little lot on Austin are part of the same parcel. Not sure how it was sold (or maybe it's still under contract), but I would guess that it's all going together. The spot across the street where the used car lot is operating has bar/restaurant written all over it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, phillip_white said:

The former garage structure at Austin and McIlhenny is being converted into a two story club/lounge with outdoor seating. Work is underway with opening scheduled for June.

Is this the building adjacent to The Gypsy Poet?
There's going to be competition for parking if they're open the same hours as Space (formerly Rich's) - and it seems likely they will be. 

Edited by dbigtex56
added info
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

Is this the building adjacent to The Gypsy Poet?
There's going to be competition for parking if they're open the same hours as Space (formerly Rich's) - and it seems likely they will be. 

Correct on both accounts. And with the Caroline Lofts project scheduled for construction soon, this area will be quite the handful.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to More Coming To Midtown
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 8:27 AM, phillip_white said:

Eleven Eleven Nightclub is opening on Saturday at 2402 Austin St.:

https://www.instagram.com/elevenelevennightclubhou/

The sign is up and they were doing a bunch of work yesterday.  I thought there was an exterior picture up already so I didn't take one.  That area is already packed with gypsy poet on the weekend.   Hopefully the club crowd doesn't wind up on the news.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BeerNut said:

The sign is up and they were doing a bunch of work yesterday.  I thought there was an exterior picture up already so I didn't take one.  That area is already packed with gypsy poet on the weekend.   Hopefully the club crowd doesn't wind up on the news.

Is Gypsy Poet open? Every time I ride by it looks closed or does it only do late hours?

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

Is Gypsy Poet open? Every time I ride by it looks closed or does it only do late hours?

Open Tuesday to Sunday
Tue-Thu
5PM-9PM

Fri
12M-2PM & 5PM-10PM

Sat - 2PM-10PM

Sun - 2PM-9PM

Or Until the Dough lasts

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, corbs315 said:

The Midtown Lodge (flop house at 2910 Crawford) was finally sold and sounds like it's being cleared out. Some possibly good news there!

Is it confirmed sold? Are there any leads on who bought it or what it might become?

I live nearby and would love to see this become chill neighborhood-friendly restaurant or bar.