Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

On 7/2/2021 at 2:57 PM, Ren said:

Is it confirmed sold? Are there any leads on who bought it or what it might become?

I live nearby and would love to see this become chill neighborhood-friendly restaurant or bar.

Grapevine, but I trust my "sources." No idea what it will become. It looked pretty deserted when I walked to Baldwin Park on Friday for a bike.

Now this is interesting. When Midtown started developing, the property was owned by PDS Enterprises/Investments. In 2005, PDS sold the property to an entity named Intercity Enterprises LP. The general partner of Intercity is La Colombe d'Or Properties, llc, formerly known as Intercity Partners, lc. In 2011, the property was sold to Zimmerman Interests, Inc. The President of La Colombe d'Or Properties at the time was Stephen Zimmerman. It's now Daniel Zimmerman, his son.

There are no recent ownership transfers filed, so we will have to wait and see what happens to this lot.

Fun story. When we moved to Midtown, I paid a lot of attention to tax appraisals. I noticed that the PDS property was taxed using the old land values, so the appraisal was way off. I called HCAD and had a conversation with some lower level apparatchik who tried to tell me that the property was in a different neighborhood than the adjacent townhouses, and that accounted for the difference in valuation. I ended up talking to a higher level appraiser, and pointed out that different neighborhood number notwithstanding, there was no way that the property on one side of the block was worth $2/sq ft and the other side $20/sq ft. The appraiser told me it was too late to change for that year, but promised to get it reappraised the next year. He was true to his word, as the next year the appraisal went up from something like $35,000 to $300,000. I saw a protest was filed, but the value didn't change. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

@corbs315Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  Let's hope that the closure is indeed secured, and that something neighborhood-friendly will occupy the space.

Separate topic: regarding your "sources", do you have any insight that you can share about Caydon's departure from Midtown?  Was it a financial issue in response to the pandemic or a response to a changed view about Midtown?  

3 hours ago, Michael Lewis said:

@corbs315Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  Let's hope that the closure is indeed secured, and that something neighborhood-friendly will occupy the space.

Separate topic: regarding your "sources", do you have any insight that you can share about Caydon's departure from Midtown?  Was it a financial issue in response to the pandemic or a response to a changed view about Midtown?  

i do not!

1 hour ago, corbs315 said:

Glad to see a tenant in this building, and wish that the buildings on the east side of Main Street by the Ensemble Red Line stop would be put to better use.
This has the potential to be the most charming stop on the whole rail system.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2021 at 10:39 AM, phillip_white said:

Not sure how big of a clue this is, but supposedly there are plans to remediate the site due to soil and groundwater contamination. I think there may have been a dry cleaner on the site at some point?

I haven't found any evidence of what the building was used for in the past, but would not be surprised if there was contamination.

7 hours ago, corbs315 said:

Has there been any update about Homeslice in the t'afia space? I can't find anything since March of this year.

Went to the Continental Club last weekend, looked like all the old restaurant equipment had been removed and was placed on the patio and saw lots of permits posted on the windows. But I didn't see any progress inside.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 2:57 PM, Ren said:

Is it confirmed sold? Are there any leads on who bought it or what it might become?

I live nearby and would love to see this become chill neighborhood-friendly restaurant or bar.

I've been walking by it everyday this week and they are definitely gutting it.  All kinds of fixtures and even lots of 2x4s are being hauled away.  We definitely need a cool, chill place on our end of midtown for a change. 

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Good New Bars And Restaurants In Midtown?
  • 5 months later...
On 7/16/2021 at 2:42 PM, qtguy said:

I've been walking by it everyday this week and they are definitely gutting it.  All kinds of fixtures and even lots of 2x4s are being hauled away.  We definitely need a cool, chill place on our end of midtown for a change. 

no real update, but every time I've walked by in the last 2 weeks there have been some kind of crew doing something. Sorry for lack of real info, but Stuff Is Happening..

8 hours ago, editor said:

Is there an new Uncommon coffee place in Midtown?  I thought I saw it when I was passing by on the train, but I don't see anything online.  Maybe I'm smoking crack waffles.

Was it across from midtown park? May be it was the relatively new on-the-go Common Bond location at Drewery place.

https://www.commonbondcafe.com/location/midtown-park/

• The title was changed to Reign Is Closed
  • The title was changed to Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming
On 7/1/2022 at 8:35 AM, phillip_white said:

I thought there was a topic for this, but I cannot find it. The lot across Fannin from Drewery Place with the "Downtown Yard" signage appears to be nearing completion. There were three food truck parked there yesterday, but only one was open.

I may be the only one to say this but that whole "Downtown Yard" idea is dumb imo and ugly af. If you're going to do something like that you have to do it right. I'm not saying people won't go, but it just doesn't fit anything I personally want the neighborhood to become. You have this nice residential tower across the street and then you have this beer garden concept. 

57 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I may be the only one to say this but that whole "Downtown Yard" idea is dumb imo and ugly af. If you're going to do something like that you have to do it right. I'm not saying people won't go, but it just doesn't fit anything I personally want the neighborhood to become. You have this nice residential tower across the street and then you have this beer garden concept. 

I agree that this is one level above a paid parking lot, but it is an activated placeholder until market value necessitates development. I think the owners are playing the wait and see game with the auctioned Caydon lots, which makes me happy they didn't put more money into this because it's meant to be temporary.

30 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

I agree that this is one level above a paid parking lot, but it is an activated placeholder until market value necessitates development. I think the owners are playing the wait and see game with the auctioned Caydon lots, which makes me happy they didn't put more money into this because it's meant to be temporary.

Well yeah I get the whole temporary use. I'm tired of this wait and see game with developers. I don't know all the logistics with real estate so I won't act like I do BUT based off my personal experiences as a pedestrian, the demand for more is there. Every time I walk past that block of Smith with the Whole Food's I'm always asking myself why the rest of Midtown isn't developing faster like this. Phase 1 of the Mix is clearly successful. Not sure why Phase 2 has yet to take off but if it's the same "wait and see" idea then I don't see Midtown truly becoming what we want for a very long time. We've been waiting for almost 30 years and that's no exaggeration.

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to Coming To Main St. In Midtown: Pizza And Burgers, Coffee Shop, Exposed Wallpaper
On 7/18/2022 at 9:13 PM, urbanize713 said:

Heard from multiple people that there were issues with irresponsible dog owners. Either completely oblivious to their dog's behavior or not cleaning after them.  

I really loved the idea of Barkley's, but vowed never to go back after my dog was bit pretty badly on the ear. The other dog owner blamed my dog (who would never hurt a fly) and the bar owners essentially said there's nothing they could do. I know it's hard to police that sort of thing, but the total lack of care by all involved left a foul taste in my mouth

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Coming To Main St. In Midtown: Pizza And Burgers, Coffee Shop
5 hours ago, tigereye said:

The news was posted in the topics corresponding to the property it's currently located and will later be relocating...