Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

"Home Slice Pizzawhich enjoys a cult-like following in Austin, officially opens to the public on Dec. 14, serving up authentic New York-style pies, slices, sub sandwiches, salads, and calzones to a pizza-starved Houston."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/First-look-Home-Slice-Pizza-sets-Dec-14-opening-17643761.php#photo-23257434

w4rVKxR.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/16/2021 at 10:02 AM, mattyt36 said:

Does anyone know what's going up at the site of the old Hefley's that burned down (138ish W Gray?).  It looks to be a 2-story steel frame structure.

Thought this topic had it's own thread and can't find it, so replying here: it looks like work, after a 1-2 year hiatus, has started again on the new Hefley's/Fuzzy's Taco building. Dupont Tyvek siding has been going up this week.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds like they are planning to open this location this summer. I've been to the Seattle-area locations. Don't think they are as good as Din Tai Fung but still a welcome addition to this area.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/dough-zone-chinese-restaurant-soup-dumpling-midtown-galleria-1/

"A representative tells CultureMap that Dough Zone has leased the former Ibiza space in Midtown (2450 Louisiana St.) for a restaurant that will open this summer"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 8:27 AM, phillip_white said:

Eleven Eleven Nightclub is opening on Saturday at 2402 Austin St.:

https://www.instagram.com/elevenelevennightclubhou/

This club had their TABC license canceled. A new application is pending for Green Tree, which is a possible hint at Lebanon (probably a hookah lounge, and possibly a restaurant component based on the FB application). The LLC applicant is controlled by Maroun Sawma who is affiliated with Taiga, another midtown club.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2023 at 7:14 PM, phillip_white said:

The LLC applicant is controlled by Maroun Sawma who is affiliated with Taiga, another midtown club.

I'm still mad about the naming of Taiga. Just about the least Houston biome there is. 

It's like they don't even care about geographic accuracy!!

18 hours ago, 004n063 said:

I'm still mad about the naming of Taiga. Just about the least Houston biome there is. 

Taiga is a famous club in Lebanon! The owner (Maroun Sawma), who is Lebanese, tried to replicate it here.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 004n063 said:

I don't know, people who've had to relocate to Houston from the East or West Coasts for work have historically acted like they've been exiled to Siberia.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Given how our summers are, they should take the biome a step further like Dubai did...

98.jpg

• 2 months later...

Malai Thai Street Eats coming to 2900 Travis St. B. It's going to be next to Cali Sandwich and Pho. Picked up a banh mi today from there. One of the owners said that he has seen workers at the spot right next to him. He also said there have been about 4 restaurants that didn't last long and the location might be jinxed. Cali draws a large crowd and parking is hard to come by during lunch, another food place is going to tough to find parking.

https://www.instagram.com/malaithaistreetfoodhull/?hl=en

jpPYakB.png

cd3XYv4.png

• Like 2

21 hours ago, hindesky said:

I got the banh mi from Cali, they have been my go to since Les Givral's closed. The Cali combination is really good.

Ah, OK. I read that too quickly and thought you were talking about the other place (that obviously hasn't opened yet). 

When I used to work downtown, Cali was the preferred go-to whenever anyone in the office was in the mood for a banh mi, but I haven't been there in quite a while. Good to know they're still a benchmark. 

On 7/27/2023 at 5:52 PM, mkultra25 said:

Ah, OK. I read that too quickly and thought you were talking about the other place (that obviously hasn't opened yet). 

When I used to work downtown, Cali was the preferred go-to whenever anyone in the office was in the mood for a banh mi, but I haven't been there in quite a while. Good to know they're still a benchmark. 

I was told they were better during lunch. Went during Dinner and the bread was concrete. Also, I really dislike the heavy vinegar sriracha sauces they use. Pho Binh also switched to Tabasco brand and it's not good.

2 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

I was told they were better during lunch. Went during Dinner and the bread was concrete. Also, I really dislike the heavy vinegar sriracha sauces they use. Pho Binh also switched to Tabasco brand and it's not good.

Yeah, I've only ever been there for lunch, which is when I'd guess the majority of their business is done. 

I read an article the other day about an ongoing sriracha shortage due to supply chain constraints affecting the producer of the sriracha sauce almost everyone uses, Huy Fong Foods in Rosemead, CA. It sounded crazy, with restaurants hoarding what they had and paying exorbitant prices in the regular retail market whenever some turned up there, since the usual wholesale suppliers couldn't get it.

16 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Yeah, I've only ever been there for lunch, which is when I'd guess the majority of their business is done. 

I read an article the other day about an ongoing sriracha shortage due to supply chain constraints affecting the producer of the sriracha sauce almost everyone uses, Huy Fong Foods in Rosemead, CA. It sounded crazy, with restaurants hoarding what they had and paying exorbitant prices in the regular retail market whenever some turned up there, since the usual wholesale suppliers couldn't get it.

I'm sadly aware. Wish they would use a closer substitute. Instead they use the vinegar heavy ones 🤢

Will have to go back for lunch!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...