Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

On 10/25/2019 at 7:53 PM, BeerNut said:

Was hanging out at Barb's last night for a couple hours. This one had a line out the door and nearly lined around the block. Of course that's Halloween for ya, but thats a good sign I think. I'll have to check it out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 8:03 PM, _nataliepw said:

Next Level eSports opens in one week at 2402 Austin St! 

https://nextlevelgc.com/

Do you have any information other than the countdown clock? The last time I went by here they didn't have anything built out inside so I don't see how they could be ready in a week.

On 11/22/2019 at 8:03 PM, _nataliepw said:

Next Level eSports opens in one week at 2402 Austin St! 
https://nextlevelgc.com/

On 11/25/2019 at 9:01 AM, phillip_white said:

Do you have any information other than the countdown clock? The last time I went by here they didn't have anything built out inside so I don't see how they could be ready in a week.

Countdown clock is no longer shown on the website...

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 8:14 AM, phillip_white said:

Countdown clock is no longer shown on the website...

I walked by yesterday around 3 PM and didn't see any activity going on.

I did see caution tape around a new fire line they dug up. I would think there would be a lot more activity for a project that is looking to get wrapped up in the coming weeks.

1 hour ago, phillip_white said:

This building has been vacant for at least 3-4 years, so a car dealership is better than nothing. Just a little concerning that they didn't spell their own name correctly on the CO permit.

20191211_122145

Can't read which building you're referring to. help?

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, phillip_white said:

No clue why Next Level even bothered to test the countdown clock on their website... so many other things that need to be done before that.

20200102_125937-01

yikes, that's depressing.

I imagine that this project won't really work out given the time it's taken them to get to where they are now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, midtowndweller said:

I know it was mentioned earlier (kind of the only place I know where to post) but we mentioned how the Mexican Consulate was closing, so if the Kings Fuel Chevron Gas station right next to it. They have fences around it.iVqTeSY.jpgKBLcPHz.jpgWet9sJV.jpg

Getting renovated into a 7-11 right now. Longer term, it’s in the proposed ROW for the freeway expansion and will at least lose its ingress/egress from San Jacinto.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cspwal said:

Why did they leave?  One or two closing makes sense, but all of them leaving seems to be a company wide issue

IIRC, one or both chains were bought out by/changed their names to Circle K in the area.   Not sure what became of Circle K locally, strange things were afoot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Here is a quote from Bellaire, in 2014 that explains what happened. This was from a post on HAIF.

The Thompson family, whose father founded 7-Eleven, attempted to take the company private back in the late 80's.  They overspent and borrowed too much money at too high an interest rate.  They lost the company soon after.  The 7-Eleven franchisee in Japan bought the company out of bankruptcy.  Many locations were sold to help pay for the acquisition.  Houston was sold.  San Antonio was sold.  Much of Texas was sold.

The Japanese franchisee still owns 7-Eleven.  There are over 10,000 locations in north america and over 50,000 worldwide.  Just not in Houston...............yet.

7-Eleven has made multiple acquisitions in the last 5 years.  One of the biggest was Tetco out of San Antonio.  About 175 stores mainly in San Antonio, Austin and Dallas.  The CL Thomas acquisition was mainly in the Austin area.  7-Eleven also bought the wholesale gasoline department from Tetco and now sells gasoline to non-7-Eleven stores.  A lot of those customers are in Houston.  

Don't expect 7-Eleven to open any stores in the Houston area.  7-Eleven's main emphasis right now is fresh food.  Their stores get deliveries 7 days per week from their distribution centers.  Fresh sandwiches, salads, donuts, etc.  They need to have a concentration of stores in an area to make it profitable to open a distribution center to handle the fresh food.  If you see an announcement that 7-Eleven has bought out someone with 75 stores or more in Houston, then expect the Slurpees to return.

Also, 7-Eleven announced that they want to franchise all of their stores.  They company operate some stores, but only long enough to clean them up, convert them to a 7-Eleven and then franchise them.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Mattie said:

No, they just built one on Bay Area in Clear Lake. Not sure if it’s open yet 

Also stores in Sugar Land and Alvin that have been open a few months now. There's one in Spring coming soon too.

• Like 1