Kinder High School For The Performing And Visual Arts At 790 Austin St.

Subdude

First off, much better! Of course would love to see some newer perspective renders and not just a flat elevation, but this will do for now.

Second, does the chron not understand what the word "makeover" is? Just by reading the title alone, one would simply assume that they were giving the old building a "makeover" with a new roof terrace, etc... Makeover would be doing what I just illustrated. This is a completely new building in a completely different location! Come on chron did you burn your dictionary or something?

I like the changes. Of course we haven't seen the other facade with the large letters but definitely an improvement!

This is a great addition to downtown not only in scale, but also in it function, and a new dynamic it will bring. A lot of these kids will

Be more interested in living downtown once they graduate.

Yay! They twerked the design. (At least on that side).

I can see Mr. Trongone in the orchestra room shouting, "Hahns! What am I heah for??" 

Edited by toxtethogrady

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

My group moved to a different side of my building, which means my view is a bit more exciting, so I've decided to set up a little webcam on my desk, facing all the construction on the east side of downtown.

Right in the middle is the new HSPVA campus, but just behind it you will be able to see the 500 Crawford apartments as they go taller.  There's also a good view of the Hampton/Homewood Suites, and the renovation of the old Texaco building.

If you look in the background, you can see the new GRB garage construction.  The cranes for the Marriott Marquis are visible, and once it's more than a few stories tall you should see it as well.  To the left of it you can see where the Nau Center will be built.  You may be able to see Catalyst, too, once it gets tall enough.

If 6 Houston Center is ever built, you should be able to see it from this webcam too (in fact, it would block my view, so hopefully it will be a while before it's too tall!).

I can't guarantee how long I will keep this up, but for the time being I will have it taking photos every 5 minutes during the day.  I'm going to be out of the office for the next week, though, so hopefully nobody will knock it over in the meantime.

http://webcam.rechlin.net/811main/

Here's the view at the time of this post:

RxKx60V.jpg

You have one of the best possible views for downtown construction:  Texaco, Six Houston Center, HSPVA, Hampton Inn, Block 98, Marriott Convention Center, and the Houston First building/garage/hotel.  Color me envious!

• Like 2

Hi all,

My group moved to a different side of my building, which means my view is a bit more exciting, so I've decided to set up a little webcam on my desk, facing all the construction on the east side of downtown.

Right in the middle is the new HSPVA campus, but just behind it you will be able to see the 500 Crawford apartments as they go taller.  There's also a good view of the Hampton/Homewood Suites, and the renovation of the old Texaco building.

If you look in the background, you can see the new GRB garage construction.  The cranes for the Marriott Marquis are visible, and once it's more than a few stories tall you should see it as well.  To the left of it you can see where the Nau Center will be built.  You may be able to see Catalyst, too, once it gets tall enough.

If 6 Houston Center is ever built, you should be able to see it from this webcam too (in fact, it would block my view, so hopefully it will be a while before it's too tall!).

I can't guarantee how long I will keep this up, but for the time being I will have it taking photos every 5 minutes during the day.  I'm going to be out of the office for the next week, though, so hopefully nobody will knock it over in the meantime.

http://webcam.rechlin.net/811main/

Here's the view at the time of this post:

RxKx60V.jpg

Awesome! We love you long time :3

• Like 3

Have they figured out how the existence of this school won't kill liquor licenses all around downtown? Anyone have the skinny? Was some kind of exemption passed?

I think everyone figured that there is some grandfathering/reverse variance going on here. The convention bureau would surely take to pitchforks and torches if downtown were made dry.

I commented earlier how I found it interesting that we have a law/rule/assumtpion that deems a very normal (almost fundamental) part of urban life incompatible with education, yet we move a specialty school downtown to be closer to urban life. There is a bit of dissonance in there, rather willfully oblivious to reality. I doubt kids have become less resourceful in procuring booze in the past couple of decades, so making the rest of the world suffer for this fiction seems extremely counterproductive.

• Like 3