The Allen: Mixed-Use Development At Allen Parkway & Gillette St.

jmontrose

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

Kind of corny, an NFL team themed gym? It would make sense if it was close to NRG, but it legit doesn't make sense here...... in this "ultra luxury" development.

It’s closer to NRG than the one in Rosenberg .. I believe they are pretty nice gyms and rich people love corny stuff. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 5thGen said:

I thought that space was going to be Equinox’s second Houston location.

They bailed either right before or after covid.

10 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Kind of corny, an NFL team themed gym? It would make sense if it was close to NRG, but it legit doesn't make sense here...... in this "ultra luxury" development.

They have a Cowboys Fit that is part of The Star that is extremely nice. To your point, it literally butts up to the Cowboys gym where you can watch them working out next to you (separated by a glass wall). People in Dallas love the Cowboys and will pay for the expensive gym membership to be "a part of the organization". I'm not sure that's the case in Houston.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, SMU1213 said:

They have a Cowboys Fit that is part of The Star that is extremely nice. To your point, it literally butts up to the Cowboys gym where you can watch them working out next to you (separated by a glass wall). People in Dallas love the Cowboys and will pay for the expensive gym membership to be "a part of the organization". I'm not sure that's the case in Houston.

Completely agree, it's basically a fan based gym. A lot of people in Houston don't watch football and a lot people who watch football don't like/ don't care for the Texans; its wayyy to specific of a gym. Also, the fact that it's going up next to this fancy hotel, most likely attracting people from out of town...... most people from out of town are not going to have a membership to this Houston exclusive gym. At least with Equinox or even Lifetime, its assessable to everyone across the nation. Sad choice IMO, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SMU1213 said:

FWIW, Cowboys Fit has 5 locations and the 49ers, Bears and Browns have also started gyms. I would imagine most if not all NFL teams will eventually do the same.

Edited by Houston19514
a
  • Like 4

On 10/3/2022 at 7:57 AM, hindesky said:

"Phase II of The Allen is now in the planning phase. Phase II will include approximately a 300-unit multifamily development, as well as approximately 40,000 SF of retail space."

https://dcpartnersusa.com/the-allen-lifestyle-pavilion-100-leased-phase-ii-planning-underway/ 

They released a render of the next phase pretty early on, didn’t they? I’m curious how much it’ll keep with the architectural style.

as more of it gets finished up, I think I’m liking it quite a bit. The way the residential portion looks slightly offset from the hotel portion does still trip me out a little bit, though.

• Like 5

Echoing BEES, the architect seems to have had precisely zero interest in keeping the little elements of the structure symmetrical (such as the disconnect between the hotel floors and the residential floors, whatever is going on with the first three glass floors facing the bayou, and that one infernal corner on the ~10th floor above the podium whose northwest corner for some reason does not match the northeast corner...). Can't decide if I find it quirky-weird or quirky-good. 

Either way, definitely rather it be here than not be here.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2022 at 3:51 PM, Montrose1100 said:

That's a shame. An equinox in this or general location would do wonders. The one in ROD is at the corner of traffic and rush hour. So many people want to join but hate the location (that live in Montrose/Midtown).

I’m an Equinox member and live in Montrose. My commute during evening rush hour is usually 15 minutes there, 10 minutes to get back.

On 10/5/2022 at 9:31 PM, BEES?! said:

They released a render of the next phase pretty early on, didn’t they? I’m curious how much it’ll keep with the architectural style.

as more of it gets finished up, I think I’m liking it quite a bit. The way the residential portion looks slightly offset from the hotel portion does still trip me out a little bit, though.

I'd actually encourage the developer to come up with an entirely different architectural design, as two of the same thing right next to each other is going to look kind of strange. The original looks good as it is.

I think this may be the first known dining / restaurant tenant for the Allen, the mixed-use development at 1701 Allen Parkway: Toca Madera.

Toca Madera is a contemporary Mexican steakhouse from The Madera Group. There are locations in West Hollywood, Scottsdale, and Las Vegas. 

Back in March, Los Angeles-based hospitality and lifestyle company Noble 33 announced the expansion of one of its dining concepts, Casa Madera, and Toca Madera. According to a press release, "Noble 33 leads the management and continued expansion of iconic brands Toca Madera and Casa Madera in partnership with The Madera Group while independently developing new restaurants."

The press release also notes additional outposts of Casa Madera and Toca Madera are opening in various cities in 2023. One of the cities listed is Houston. However, the press release nor other reports from several news outlets in July, included which restaurant is landing in Houston. 

This week's Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations filing indicates Toca Madera is leasing a unit at the Allen. It will be located at 1755 Allen Parkway in the Allen Lifestyle Pavilion (the Allen Pavilion).

Toca Madera's Houston location will be a 12,000 sq ft restaurant with an outdoor patio. Abel Design Group is designing the space. Estimated completion of the buildout is June 2023.

Food Fight Concepts, a company offering "investors the opportunity to bring concepts to light," lists Toca Madera's forthcoming Houston outpost as one of its investments:

https://www.foodfightconcepts.com/toca-madera-houston

https://www.tocamadera.com/

Press release from March:
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/casa-madera-launches-a-new-dining-experience-in-toronto-featuring-organic-mexican-coastal-cuisine-836706900.html

TDLR filing:
https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Print/TABS2023003354

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

Retail Pavilion fully leased, Condos 70% Sold

I'm stunned they've sold 70%. It's a fairly limited market for high-end condos, and I know several projects that were either cancelled or downsized because of sales. Good for them, if it's legit.

• Like 2