The Allen: Mixed-Use Development At Allen Parkway & Gillette St.

jmontrose

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, KirbyDriveKid said:

Hmm, guess they weren't ones for a temporary greenspace. That surface lot is a little harsh and, given the size of the parking garage, it feels pretty unnecessary? Hope they can move forward with more of the master plan sooner rather than later!

I wouldn't have my hopes up for "sooner". Look how long its taking to finish this!

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, KirbyDriveKid said:

Hmm, guess they weren't ones for a temporary greenspace. That surface lot is a little harsh and, given the size of the parking garage, it feels pretty unnecessary? Hope they can move forward with more of the master plan sooner rather than later!

Yeah, that's an awful lot of asphalt.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Construction delay announced for the condos. Initial completion dates were from March through June, depending on the floor (starting from 17 up to penthouses). New dates are August through November. 

"The delays are specific to the common areas and have been affected by several factors, including permitting delays, continued supply chain issues resulting in ongoing material shortages and design changes, as well as unexpected weather delays."

Hotel is also delayed and they are hoping to open before the holidays. Whether that means Thanksgiving or Christmas, I'm not sure.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2022 at 10:07 AM, hindesky said:

Anyone know what the restaurant is?

E4Qm00X.png

On 11/11/2022 at 10:37 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

It could be this one:

In the Houston Business Journal article linked on page 27, there is this about retail tenants planned for Lifestyle Pavilion: 

"The company has not yet named the building's other tenants, which include two restaurants, but additional tenant announcements are expected this fall. One of the restaurants will have a rooftop terrace, the company said."

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2022/10/20/dc-partners-texans-fit.html

Although Toca Madera is confirmed as a retail tenant, it wasn't disclosed (or known) which floor the restaurant will be located within for the Pavilion at The Allen / The Allen Lifestyle Pavilion.

Toca Madera will be located on the first floor. The address for the contemporary Mexican steakhouse is 1755 Allen Parkway, Suite 101.

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2022 at 8:01 AM, ChannelTwoNews said:

On 11/14/2022 at 1:38 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

In the Houston Business Journal article linked on page 27 (and quoted above), there is this about retail tenants planned for Lifestyle Pavilion at 1755 Allen Pkwy (or 1701 Allen Parkway): 

"The company has not yet named the building's other tenants, which include two restaurants, but additional tenant announcements are expected this fall. One of the restaurants will have a rooftop terrace, the company said."

I think in addition to contemporary Mexican steakhouse Toca Madera, the other restaurant possibly planned for the Lifestyle Pavilion at the Allen is Maizon.

Maizon is a Mediterranean dining concept from Los Angeles-based hospitality and lifestyle company Noble 33 (more about the concept from What Now NYC). The company is also involved in expanding Toca Madera in partnership with the Madera Group.

Noble 33 previously disclosed plans to expand concepts from the Madera Group (which include Toca Madera). Additionally, the company also hopes to introduce their own concepts in various cities, including Houston.

I'm not a hundred percent certain Maizon is leasing space in the mixed-use development. It's possible Noble 33 could open Maizon elsewhere. However, the restaurant along with Toca Madera are coming soon to Houston, according to Noble 33's website.

There is also this on the site:

"Noble 33 is a hospitality and lifestyle company with an ever-evolving lineup of unique, social dining restaurants stateside and abroad, Noble 33 leads the management and continued expansion of iconic brands Toca Madera and Casa Madera, while also developing brand new concepts such as Sparrow Italia and Maizon Mediterrania that will further expand the boundaries of high-energy fine-dining. Future targets for new locations include West Hollywood, Houston, New York, and Miami."

https://www.noble33.com/

More details about Maizon's Houston location will likely be announced after the winter holidays.

RlWgOTP.jpg

On 12/9/2022 at 3:01 PM, hindesky said:

On 12/10/2022 at 2:29 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

So, my hunch last month was right. I suspected Maizon / Maizon Mediterrania restaurant is likely opening at the Allen Lifestyle Pavilion ( 1775 Allen Parkway ).

Begrudgingly, I emailed CultureMap's food editor about this last month. I'm not sure if the editor followed up on this or not. Still, as suspected, he sat on the news of Toca Madera for whatever reason.

Noble 33 is betting big on the Houston market by opening Maizon and Toca Madera here. I hope they're successful.

We know Maizon / Maizon Mediterrania restaurant is one of the two restaurants to sign on at the four-story Pavilion at The Allen / The Allen Lifestyle Pavilion. However, some here, including myself, weren't sure which floor it will occupy.

According to plan review comments, Maizon will occupy the fourth floor. The address provided is 1775 Allen Parkway, Suite 401.

Last fall, Houston Business Journal reported the Allen Lifestyle Pavilion is fully leased. There was also this nugget about one of the dining tenants: 

"One of the restaurants will have a rooftop terrace, the company said."

Maizon is the referenced restaurant.

Select details about Maizon from the plan review comments:

• Maizon Mediterrania - 1755 Allen Pky #401

• Proposed: 7,858 sf. restaurant buildout

• Scope of work includes indoor and patio dining, bar seating
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Yonkers said:

I thought it was just 3 stories though. 

The Allen Lifestyle Pavilion is four stories.

This is from Houston Chronicle last October:

"The 62,128-square-foot, four-level building will have several restaurants..."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/texas-inc/article/Retail-wrap-Uptown-Park-Lower-Heights-District-17534318.php

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

The Allen Lifestyle Pavilion is four stories.

This is from Houston Chronicle last October:

"The 62,128-square-foot, four-level building will have several restaurants..."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/texas-inc/article/Retail-wrap-Uptown-Park-Lower-Heights-District-17534318.php

You are correct. Went back and looked at one of my pictures and it is 4 for sure.

IMG_20221018_140902.jpg

• Like 6

I'm posting this again here. I am not sure why it was moved in the first place when the post was specifically about Thompson Houston at the Allen (which is what this topic is about since it is part of the Allen mixed-use development) to a thread about "The Lack of Luxury Hotels in Houston." 

I searched but didn't see anyone post about this: Thompson Hotels has an Instagram and website for the forthcoming Thompson Houston. Both may have launched last fall. I'm not for certain.

The hotel is part of the Allen mixed-use development. It's located at 1701 Allen Parkway, but building permits also list the address as 1711 Allen Parkway. Thompson Houston is slated to open Fall 2023 (though some recent job listings also note spring and summer 2023 as possible opening timelines).

https://www.hyatt.com/hotel/texas/thompson-houston/iahth

https://www.instagram.com/thompsonhoustonhotel

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Unfortunately, I'm thinking the answer may be "never".

Wait why is that unfortunate? I'm all for private development and all, but public housing is also really important.

If it came down to it (it won't), I'd certainly take critical social infrastructure over a weird fancy Space Mountain building like the Allen...

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Unfortunately, I'm thinking the answer may be "never".

That's one of the oldest public housing units in the city. I think it's even designated a city landmark. I agree with @004n063There is nothing unfortunate about that. People of different income's have a right to live in better parts of the city and not be displaced

• Like 3

7 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

That's one of the oldest public housing units in the city. I think it's even designated a city landmark. I agree with @004n063There is nothing unfortunate about that. People of different income's have a right to live in better parts of the city and not be displaced

That land is worth $200m+. They could easily sell it to a developer and require the developer to include a brand new 400 unit affordable housing tower as part of the master planned development. More affordable units that are brand new would be a positive outcome.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SMU1213 said:

That land is worth $200m+. They could easily sell it to a developer and require the developer to include a brand new 400 unit affordable housing tower as part of the master planned development. More affordable units that are brand new would be a positive outcome.

Regardless of whether it was "fortunate" or "unfortunate," the above is the simple reality.  The current configuration is getting more "inefficient" from a land use perspective by the day.

The proceeds could also be used to develop additional housing units elsewhere, as they have in plenty of other jurisdictions.

Even if buildings are public landmarks, it doesn't mean they have to continue to be used for the same purpose.

Below is a link from a Cite article from 1995 with a historical overview, including several proposals to sell the property going back to 1977.  Evidently Kenneth Schnitzer wanted it in the early 1980s.

https://offcite.rice.edu/2010/03/DepletedLegacy_Lang_Cite33.pdf

(Didn't they recently sell part of the land already?)

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Wait why is that unfortunate? I'm all for private development and all, but public housing is also really important.

If it came down to it (it won't), I'd certainly take critical social infrastructure over a weird fancy Space Mountain building like the Allen...

Selling this very valuable land could provide more funds for replacing the existing housing with more and better public housing in another location, or, as others have suggested, replaced with housing using a smaller footprint, and included within other development. Win-Win

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 8