The Allen: Mixed-Use Development At Allen Parkway & Gillette St.

jmontrose

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/21/2022 at 11:44 PM, hindesky said:

@urbanize713 That is the 8th floor where the condos start and some corner units have patios. Below that are the 7 floors of the Thompson hotel.

Condos actually start at 16th floor. That floor is the common area (pool, club house, etc) but it does have a penthouse on that floor and I think that's what the patio is for. The rest of the floor is common area so no patio and thus the weird asymmetry.

Starting from floors 17-29 are regular condos and 30-35 are the penthouses.

Thompson Hotel is up to 15th floor but not sure how much of that are rooms vs parking.

Edited by Yonkers
  • Like 7

On 6/17/2022 at 5:33 PM, sapo2367 said:

Where the new development is going in used to be one of the city incinerators. Also the fact that and incinerator and a hospital were built next to each other is wild. 

It could have also been permitted as a med waste incinerator similar to the one in Galveston

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to The Allen: Mixed-Use Development At Allen Parkway & Gillette St.
On 6/30/2022 at 11:32 AM, thatguysly said:

It could have also been permitted as a med waste incinerator similar to the one in Galveston

The incinerator predates the hospital, having apparently been built in the 1920's. Here's a link, see page 4 http://drrobertbullard.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Bullard-Solid-Waste-and-Houston-Black-Community_Sociological-Inquiry-Vol-53-Spring-1983_4-7-14.pdf

13 hours ago, Ross said:

The incinerator predates the hospital, having apparently been built in the 1920's. Here's a link, see page 4 http://drrobertbullard.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Bullard-Solid-Waste-and-Houston-Black-Community_Sociological-Inquiry-Vol-53-Spring-1983_4-7-14.pdf

Oh wow. That is really interesting. Thank you for sharing.

1 hour ago, Montrose1100 said:

Unlikely, since it faces north. 

Very true. I was just bored at work, and feeling slightly sadistic in a comedic way haha. Construction documentation can be a real grind.

Edited by Luminare
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Very true. I was just bored at work, and feeling slightly sadistic in a comedic way haha. Construction documentation can be a real grind.

Well at least your procrastination at work is sort-of tangentially related to what you do, right? If someone looks over your shoulder you can just show them the URL. “It’s an architecture forum! It’s work-adjacent at worst!”

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BEES?! said:

Well at least your procrastination at work is sort-of tangentially related to what you do, right? If someone looks over your shoulder you can just show them the URL. “It’s an architecture forum! It’s work-adjacent at worst!”

I call it "Design Research", or "Constructability Research".

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, cityliving said:

This would have been a perfect photograph if only that ugly Service Corporation International building wasn't there.☹️

8udluzX.jpg

^^^ actually, the edifice would have been "perfect" if it was fully completed.  the SCI building is just not that significant IMO.  however, it's getting there.  nonetheless, THANK U @cityliving for the beautiful illustration...

20 hours ago, BEES?! said:

Hey, my lurking on this forum is important housing-market research which will be used to support our company's nation-wide recruiting efforts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, cityliving said:

For those of you who seem confused, the ugly building that I was referring to in my photograph is this monstrosity, known as the Service Corporation International building.

evXVBbH.jpg

Not confused about what building you're referencing. Confused as to why you think this little infill building is worthy of ruining your photo. The patchy repair jobs on Memorial and giant garages in the background are more distracting. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, cityliving said:

This would have been a perfect photograph if only that ugly Service Corporation International building wasn't there.☹️

hope you don't mind me having edited on my phone (pixel has a feature called "Magic Eraser" which lets you remove features unwanted) to remove the offending building...

5mQeolu.jpg

something I like to do instead of that though, is in lightroom, you can use a feature to highlight specific areas, or defocus (by making less bright) other areas. it's a more subtle way of emphasis than Google's magic eraser.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 7