The Allen: Mixed-Use Development At Allen Parkway & Gillette St.

jmontrose

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The title was changed to The Allen: Allen Parkway & Gillette St. Mixed-Use Development

Any estimate on start of construction for the next high rise within this development?

Also, and this may be a “dumb” question, but is there any idea on whether the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas would sell that land in the next 10-15 years?  I wonder if the developers know something we don’t?  (Probably not, but just asking anyway.)

*edit for clarity

Edited by arche_757
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, arche_757 said:

Any estimate on start of construction for the next high rise within this development?

Also, and this may be a “dumb” question, but is there any idea on whether the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas would sell that land in the next 10-15 years?  I wonder if the developers know something we don’t?  (Probably not, but just asking anyway.)

*edit for clarity

Phase 2 is still in the design process, will likely not start untill phase 1 is completed and fully sold/leased. 

The Federal Reserve site is not being planned for by the developer. 

On 6/3/2022 at 1:19 PM, cityliving said:

4gHvpbj.jpg

Great pictures as always, @cityliving

This is such an “only in Houston” shot. To the left federally subsidized housing; to the right a fortress of a bank vault.  And in the middle a high-end residential, commercial and hospitality development.

I like this project, I just don’t like the location.  Imagine the synergy if this were closer to the developments further west?  I don’t see either of the federal properties on either side going away for years/decades.

Edited by arche_757
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, arche_757 said:

This is such an “only in Houston” shot. To the left federally subsidized housing; to the right a fortress of a bank vault.  And in the middle a high-end residential, commercial and hospitality development.

I like this project, I just don’t like the location.  Imagine the synergy if this were closer to the developments further west?  I don’t see either of the federal properties on either side going away for years/decades.

That would require someone to sell property further West, which apparently isn't happening. You can only build where you can acquire property. Realistically, it would have to be between the location being built here and Shepherd, since no one in River Oaks is going to give up their property for high rise construction, and West of RO is Memorial Park. AIG isn't going to move, and the other potential properties are controlled by people who have their own plans. 

• Like 3

Hindesky, Very nice images. The last one when enlarged really gives you the sense of  just how close it is between downtown and this building. From this view and time of night it really accentuates that volume of space and It seems to pull downtown to its doorsteps. I always like seeing the boundary pushed a little farther out. I imagine its altered the skyline when seen from the  loops.

8 hours ago, arche_757 said:

I don't think it would have been as stand-out farther west. No bayou for a backdrop, no downtown buildings as framing and too many other competing buildings...

And the public housing doesn't look all that shabby...

Edited by toxtethogrady
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, arche_757 said:

I didn’t mean to imply that the public housing was bad, or shabby.  It’s just these three pieces of land with their respective complexes/buildings make strange bedfellows.  So to speak.

I don't get the reasoning to put the suburban Federal Reserve there, but I'm sure the housing complex will densify & sell off part of the land. It's a huge lot and some of the buildings are what, 80 years old?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

I don't get the reasoning to put the suburban Federal Reserve there, but I'm sure the housing complex will densify & sell off part of the land. It's a huge lot and some of the buildings are what, 80 years old?

And those are on the national register.  Which I’m not sure if that protects them?