GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

What kinds of large square footage retail is looking for space these days?  Maybe they could give Dick's Sporting Goods a sweetheart deal for the BAM space, they just added a bunch of Houston area locations.  The BCBG had big bright harbinger-of-store-closure "EVERYTHING MARKED DOWN!" signs last time I walked by.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nate99 said:

What kinds of large square footage retail is looking for space these days?  Maybe they could give Dick's Sporting Goods a sweetheart deal for the BAM space, they just added a bunch of Houston area locations.  The BCBG had big bright harbinger-of-store-closure "EVERYTHING MARKED DOWN!" signs last time I walked by.

I think Zara or H&M would do well.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Nate99 said:

Say no to Dicks. Why would you give it to the competition when Academy's headquarters are located in the Houston metro (Katy)? Support local.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Many a business traveler will not care and will book it for the right price as long as it has a bed.  But to me, that interior design is a jumble of tack trying to find call itself class.  Yuck.  Hopefully the actual rooms and overall interior design  feel better than this schlock.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This work is done.  The entire reason FOR spending these MILLIONS of dollars was to bring drygoods retail to the Dallas corridor.  Nothing yet.

in six months, without signed agreements and announcements, they will have failed?

And downtown will remain a dry goods wasteland?  

All that gold makes it look a bit Trumpian. :ph34r:*

*not a political comment.  It's intended to merely be an observation of resemblance to one of the Trump Organization's favored color schemes.

• Like 3

^^^ the latest renderings / concepts of HOTEL ALESSANDRA are exquisite, posh, and ultra plush.  this undoubtably is going to be a very high-end 5* boutique hotel.  once completed, i cannot wait to see how it shall be lit up at night.  should be a gorgeous site to behold.....

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mollusk said:

*not a political comment.  It's intended to merely be an observation of resemblance to one of the Trump Organization's favored color schemes.

I agree.  But, be careful not to speak anything negatively about the orange one here on this forum as they seem to frown on that particular freedom of speech, sadly...  Just sayin.  :P

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mollusk said:

I voted for him and find the comment witty and funny. Thanks for the laugh.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I refuse to say anything nice about this building grrrrrr!

Every pre-construction rendering on this building has been a fanciful fiction compared to what was built.  I have no hope that the pre-opening renditions of the inside of the hotel are any less fanciful fiction than the outside was.  In short, this developer has done nothing to show me that what they PUBLISH is what they BUILD......  so, I'll wait to see the interior for myself when this hotel opens.

• Like 3

On 4/21/2017 at 7:48 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

This work is done.  The entire reason FOR spending these MILLIONS of dollars was to bring drygoods retail to the Dallas corridor.  Nothing yet.

in six months, without signed agreements and announcements, they will have failed?

What do you mean by "dry goods"?

1 hour ago, Subdude said:

What do you mean by "dry goods"?

31 minutes ago, TowermaniacXD said:

Basically clothing etc. retail that doesn't have to do with food or hardware.

Such as:

Foley's 1917 Store.   HOUCHRON CAPTION  (03/28/2002):  Foley Bros. Dry Goods Co. was a major department store in 1917. Photo: Bob Bailey / handout CD

• Like 3

On 9/2/2016 at 3:15 PM, HoustonIsHome said:

Might be the same ones and I just didn't notice them until now.  They are sorta curved. 

https://www.downtownhouston.org/development/project/dallas-street-improvements/

Thanks for the definition.  I notice that at the link it is just referred to as a Dallas Street improvement to create a "pedestrian-friendly experience".  Not a word about retail.  Perhaps they gave up on the idea.

On 4/21/2017 at 7:48 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

Hilcorp's retail spaces are still empty. And if the Sakowitz is redeveloped, that could change things. 

I just wish with the wider sidewalks, some of GreenStreet's restaurants could setup sidewalk seating to bring some more activity to the street. 

• Like 4

For those that don't remember, here is the document that lead to the creation of the "retail district" and the spending of millions of dollars of tax money to make the needed improvements:

https://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2013-09-12/Downtown_Retail_Task_Force_Report_Sept_12_2013_ONLINE.pdf

it is a good plan and I supported it (and still do).  

But I am a addened and increasingly concerned that all of these dollars may have been wasted - the vision has yet to be realized.  I assumed that when construction started a couple years ago, that folks were already trying to line up tenants. Now, years later, not a single announcement.  The Sakowitz building will take time to convert back to retail --  Maybe a year? --- even if they find a tenant.

Before the Dallas dollars were spent, we were years away from the possibility of a retail district.  Are we still years away even after spending the money?

• Like 1

Just my own opinion, but to me the place doesn't really come off as all that luxurious, either outside or inside.  The interior seems like the kind of "luxurious" that will seem tatty in just a few years.  And the exterior, just nondescript.

• Like 7

Downtown just isn't a place people want to walk long distances in the evenings right now. Maybe when the apartments are done being built and people actually lease them, there will be more of a critical mass of people on the streets and so people will feel safe walking longer distances.

If the choice is walking from Market Square Tower to this area, or getting in the car and driving there, or driving somewhere else. I'm probably going to just drive somewhere else. That will change in time not only as residents get more comfortable with their surroundings, but as more people lease the apartments and there are more people.