Downtown Tunnel Retail News & Updates

houstonsemipro

We do have one guy here that rides a bike to work every morning. He pretty much takes a shower in the sink when he gets here. It makes everyone very uncomfortable and people talk about him behind his back quite a bit. He's known as the "Crazy Bike Guy".

OK, sorry about the off topic - but what is so horrible about a bike commuter cleaning up in the sink? Presumably he's doing this before work officially begins, and it's not like he's not taking a shower in the fountain outside of your building, right?

Speaking as a sweaty bike commuter who knows she looks ridiculous before her shower at work every morning....

• 1 year later...

As much as I enjoy the tunnel system in Houston, I wonder if they're really as useful as people claim them to be. Since the tunnels only operate during weekday business hours, that means that Houston CBD loses 60% of its retail after 7pm. The city's been working hard at revitalizing downtown, but a serious step would be to do one of two things...

a-- close the business components of the tunnels and move all the retail to surface level, or

b-- extend the operational hours for the tunnel system, and open more entry points to the street level.

With so much usable retail space, why not open the tunnels to the public?

As much as I enjoy the tunnel system in Houston, I wonder if they're really as useful as people claim them to be. Since the tunnels only operate during weekday business hours, that means that Houston CBD loses 60% of its retail after 7pm.

The retail in the tunnels is there just for office workers. It's lunch food and some services, none of which would make a cent after 5pm.

The city's been working hard at revitalizing downtown, but a serious step would be to do one of two things...

a-- close the business components of the tunnels and move all the retail to surface level, or

b-- extend the operational hours for the tunnel system, and open more entry points to the street level.

The city can't do any of that. The tunnels are private property with many different owners.

The tunnels aren't going to draw people downtown. They're just like any other business leased inside an office building for the convenience of the building's other tenants. No one is going to visit my office building to chow down on one of the burgers served at the little store in the lobby.

If something else draws nighttime crowds downtown, then the owners of the tunnel properties might be motivated to open some of them, but it's a huge pain in the ass. They have to provide security and whatnot.

As much as I enjoy the tunnel system in Houston, I wonder if they're really as useful as people claim them to be. Since the tunnels only operate during weekday business hours, that means that Houston CBD loses 60% of its retail after 7pm. The city's been working hard at revitalizing downtown, but a serious step would be to do one of two things...

I wish they would close the tunnels... or at least move all of the retail and stuff above ground to street level.

As much as I enjoy the tunnel system in Houston, I wonder if they're really as useful as people claim them to be. Since the tunnels only operate during weekday business hours, that means that Houston CBD loses 60% of its retail after 7pm.
the CBD loses more than that percentage in population which is why places on the street close as well. Edited by musicman

I wish they would close the tunnels... or at least move all of the retail and stuff above ground to street level.

And deal with the bums? No thank you. My wife works downtown, and after eating lunch with her a just a few times I realized the value of the tunnels. You can leave your office, go to lunch, run errands, and never have to worry about a bum messing with you.

Those of you on here that want to talk tough about bums never messing with you, that's great - but my wife is barely five foot tall and one hundred pounds soaking wet. I would rather her not have to deal with them, or me have to worry about it.

Just like everything else in life, the tunnels were created out of necessity. The ground level retail will fill in as residential occupancies rise.

I worked downtown for one year and the tunnels were my favorite part of that experience. I'm not intimidated by bums, I just like the tunnels. They're a fascinating architectural and sociological feature, and it's fun to pretend you're in a generational spaceship.

No. I could see having the tunnels for people to walk when it's raining or really hot and humid... I just wish the retail part of it was above ground.

If you don't work downtown, why do you care?

The "retail" in the tunnels is almost entirely lunch places for office workers. How would it help downtown if Ninfa's, Schlotsky's, Skyline and Beck's were at street level? They still wouldn't be open at night. The tunnels are just a quick place to grab lunch and maybe get a haircut.

After being a member of the forum for three years now, I've noticed this is the biggest flaw with Houstonians. We all want the ultimate in development, but its never where we work or live. Even worse, if it is proposed near where we work or live we turn into nasty nimby's that will have nothing to do with it.

Nothing pleases us it seems.

The "retail" in the tunnels is almost entirely lunch places for office workers. How would it help downtown if Ninfa's, Schlotsky's, Skyline and Beck's were at street level? They still wouldn't be open at night. The tunnels are just a quick place to grab lunch and maybe get a haircut.
This is exactly right. Just look at all the retail that IS above ground now and look at their hours.

I've worked downtown and I love the tunnel system. You can quickly walk anywhere for lunch and not have to deal with the weather or cars driving by while you walk. There are way more people in the tunnels during lunch than street level, so IMO, that proves that the tunnel system works pretty well.

Ninfa's serves more meals than just lunch so does Schlotsky's and Beck's. Last time I checked, they were all full-service restaurants. Conversion to full-time restaurant hrs. would be pretty easy if they were committed to it.

I have worked downtown (currently work at UofH) and I know the major convenience that the tunnels give to the area. They would be equally as convenient without retail in them. They'd still be air-conditioned, well-maintained (hopefully) and protect people from the elements... the only thing that would change is the retail could move to street level, and then maybe downtown wouldn't look like a post-nuclear warzone.

Oh, and bums? If more people were walking around at street level, the bums wouldn't be so adamant.

I'm thinking that the only people who don't like retail in the tunnels are people who don't work downtown. I encourage everyone posting in this thread to vote in the poll I created in this same sub forum.

Sorry, memebag; I attempted to merge your poll with this topic, and it floated off to cyber-heaven. Have already reported it to Editor, and he has no way of un-doing it.

My apologies.

Ninfa's serves more meals than just lunch so does Schlotsky's and Beck's. Last time I checked, they were all full-service restaurants. Conversion to full-time restaurant hrs. would be pretty easy if they were committed to it.

1. Would there be enough business to keep them open after business hours?

2. Are the businesses that are street level open in the evening now?

3. Is there enough residential to support even the street level businesses now if they started to stay open late?

4. Until HPD does something about the homeless/bums/panhandlers/mentally handicap, they will continue to loiter at the entrances to anything open in the evenings, as they do now, detracting business.

I have worked downtown (currently work at UofH) and I know the major convenience that the tunnels give to the area. They would be equally as convenient without retail in them. They'd still be air-conditioned, well-maintained (hopefully) and protect people from the elements... the only thing that would change is the retail could move to street level, and then maybe downtown wouldn't look like a post-nuclear warzone.

This is exactly what I was talking about a few posts above. Everyone wants Houston to be something its not. Where's MidtownCoog to remind us to just be ourselves??

Oh, and bums? If more people were walking around at street level, the bums wouldn't be so adamant.

What proof do you have for this? They were out in force at every Main Street I've been to since the Super Bowl came in 2004. Back when the Main Street clubs were hot a few years ago, they were out in force. Hell, I walked with my wife from 1111 Fannin to the CVS on Main and they were EVERYWHERE.

Just wait until they move into the Pavilions area.

Not these locations. They operate during lunch and that's it.

There are restaurants that operate at street level downtown. If Ninfa's and Beck's and Schlotsky's thought they could make more money there, I'm sure they would move upstairs. They aren't the sorts of places people are willing to drive downtown as a destination. They have multiple locations, closer to where the people live, and locations downtown for lunch.

Only they wouldn't be as convenient, because then you'd have to go upstairs to get lunch and back downstairs to get into the tunnels. And that's assuming that you could somehow get them to agree to move, all for the sake of making downtown look better to you.

Would you also shut down the other retail currently inside buildings and force them to move outside?

Sorry, memebag; I attempted to merge your poll with this topic, and it floated off to cyber-heaven. Have already reported it to Editor, and he has no way of un-doing it.

My apologies.

Dagnabbit.

Where do you get this idea? Ever been to San Francisco?

4. Until HPD does something about the homeless/bums/panhandlers/mentally handicap, they will continue to loiter at the entrances to anything open in the evenings, as they do now, detracting business.

Just wait until they move into the Pavilions area.

Suzanne Theis, DG programming director, told me that HPD has been very proactive in keeping the homeless population away from DG. it'll be interesting to see what happens around HP.

My apologies.

There seems to have been several tunnel related topics on Haif and I am sure on several other forums. I worked at Pzl Place for almost 15 yrs and the flood events were as slim as winning the lotto and we seldom ever saw any homeless down there. Security was always on top of that issue. The big food courts were always the big draws and almost every time we had out of state/country visitors they wanted tours of which I happily obliged.

I often wondered why the negative remarks on our tunnels on Haif, it seems that most long time Houstonian's should at least be proud of these I mean we aren't eaxtly Niagara Falls or DisneyLand. The tunnels give us a futureistic & modern appeal opposed to the stereotypical cowboy/horses/rodeo reputation. These tunnels were greatly improved since the last distaster (Allison in 2000). Bottom line is the more people knock your only hurting the city in more ways than you realize.

For the naysayers, you have to experience the system, sounds like a long shot but if you ever work in downtown and get to know it, you will see what a fascinating experience it is. :D