Downtown Tunnel Retail News & Updates

houstonsemipro

I dont work downtown - I have no idea how to access the tunnels. Have always wanted to explore though, any suggestions?

One easy way is to enter through the Shops at Houston Center. The end of the mall away from the food court has an escalator that goes down to the tunnels. I can't think of any major building downtown that doesn't have tunnel access.

One thing to consider is the type of retail that exists in the tunnels and whether there is any market for it after hours. It's not like the tunnels are full of great retail and restaurants. You tend to have the following businesses, many of which simply provide the opportunity to take care of errands away from home:

1. Dentists/Barbershops/Eyeglass shops & optometrists/watch and jewelry repair/dry cleaners -- won't be open after hours anyway.

2. Convenience stores -- Need a coke, candy, lotto ticket? Does DT need 50 of these moved to the sidewalk?

3. Stationary and office supply stores/corporate mug shots -- only office people need this stuff.

4. Gift shop/tchochkes/bad retail -- need a gift for the secretary, care for a scarf to match your dress, or a holiday sweater?

5. Restaurants/coffe places/smoothie bars -- they feed 200,000 people for lunch. How many can afford to stay open to feed 5,000 people after hours? Too much supply, not enough demand. How many Alonti Delis do we need after hours? How about 20?

Look, I'd like to see stuff on the sidewalk, but most of what is the in the tunnels doesn't translate to anything other than the office crowd that needs a quick bite or get their watch fixed.

Agreed, this is a very good point to consider...

The retail only exists for the office population. As exciting as it is (not), it's still a retail boost... particularly the restaurants and places like Starbucks, etc. People that come to downtown outside of business hours have no need for office supplies, but they might want more than one option for a place to get coffee.

Downtown population is currently built from necessity and public opinion, but no one wants to entertain the possibility that the public opinion of downtown could be changing. I believe that it is. Discovery Green is the main catalyst for this change, but more are on the way.

Agreed, this is a very good point to consider...

The retail only exists for the office population. As exciting as it is (not), it's still a retail boost... particularly the restaurants and places like Starbucks, etc. People that come to downtown outside of business hours have no need for office supplies, but they might want more than one option for a place to get coffee.

Downtown population is currently built from necessity and public opinion, but no one wants to entertain the possibility that the public opinion of downtown could be changing. I believe that it is. Discovery Green is the main catalyst for this change, but more are on the way.

I can think of three Starbucks already on the surface level off the top of my head. Then there's that Muggs at Houston Pavilions, coffeeshops in the various hotels, Notsuoh... Other than that it would seem that coffeeshops can't survive on surface level in downtown.

Now everyone hold up your lighters and shed a tear for Kaveh Kanes. Kaveh Kanes, you died too young. We hardly knew ye, smothered in the womb.

Um where? I live and work downtown. There is not a significant amount of more people downtown after business hours (excluding the weekend). I would even say there are less people downtown now than 3-4 years ago. Main street is very empty with the exception of Sambuca/Flying Saucer area. HP might change this, but as of now it really isn't a "destination mall". As for the park itself, after hours on a regular day there are not many people at the park. Right now due to the ice rink there are more people.

Currently, I don't live or work downtown... but as a member of the Houston Chamber Choir, St. Paul's Church, and frequent vocal soloist, I seem to end up in downtown at least 3 to 4 times a week out of necessity. I live 2.8 miles away, and travel there for my own leisure frequently as well. I probably don't visit your street very often, but between 2006 when I worked downtown full-time (keep in mind that HGO is both a day job and night job), and now that I work downtown part-time, I am encountering more people that are exploring the space, enjoying Discovery Green, and wondering when Houston Pavilions is going to be done with construction. I tend to go to Discovery Green for exercise and social events.

Edited by totheskies

Let's see ... it is 36 degrees outside and drizzling with a biting cold wind. I parked underground and walked to my office through the tunnel system. Grabbed breakfast and all this with a light jacket. Back in August when it was stifling hot, the tunnel system was a cool retreat. I'd say Houston is the perfect city for the tunnel system. Glad to have it. Plus all those pedestrians on the streets with no tunnel system would make traffic downtown horrible. Thumbs up to the tunnels.

Business hours, M-F. You can park at Bayou Place and enter the tunnels from inside the garage there. Alternatively you could park on the street somewhere and enter at the big steps in front of the Wells Fargo building, the big green one. Alternatively you could take MetroRail to Main Street Square and there's some steps down there, I forget where exactly. Or you could go to Shops at Houston Center and there's an escalator near the entrance and Monsoon that goes down to the tunnels. Once in the tunnels there is a map on the wall periodically.

While you're in downtown you might want to check out the observation decks in the Wells Fargo and JP Morgan Chase Tower buildings. You can ride straight to it from the tunnel level in Wells Fargo. In Chase you have to ride to the first floor and then ride up to it.

Thank you! and thanks for the reminder on the observ. decks....always meant to do that

I did not realize until today that CVS on Main has tunnel access. You can also get to them from Macy's. They have maps posted, but you can print one from the internet ahead of time.

FYI - the Chase Bank Lobby in the old Gulf Building is a must see.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know if the food court in the tunnel between the McKinney and Milam areas is ever going to be opened or has it just been put off? How long has it been sitting there? Every time I pass by there I think it would be a gold mine with the right stores. If it was me I would put in a Taco Bell, Sonic, and a nice Chinese buffet.

I know what you are talking about...pass it everyday. There is a solid wall up, so it's hard to tell. I asked the sandwich shop close to it and they have no idea either.

A Sonic in an underground tunnel? I thought one of their features that draws customers was being a drive-in.

No, the big drive in is required to diffuse and disperse the smell of the Sonic grease.

If they were to put a Sonic in the tunnel people would asphyxiate.

Does anyone know if the food court in the tunnel between the McKinney and Milam areas is ever going to be opened or has it just been put off? How long has it been sitting there? Every time I pass by there I think it would be a gold mine with the right stores. If it was me I would put in a Taco Bell, Sonic, and a nice Chinese buffet.

McKinney and Milam intersect, so I am confused just what building you're talking about. Do you mean the area between Bank One and the McKinney Garage? I'm thinking that's what you're talking about... Been awhile since I have been down since I quit working downtown, but essentially between Becks Prime and Chicken Kitchen. Is that the area?

Actually, Sonics have walk up locations in mall food courts and the ones I have seen were always crowded. Which is why I thought it would be a good money maker in a tunnel food court. Also, the smell can't be any worse than Beck's Prime in the Milam tunnel. You can smell that from a mile away and it is pretty off putting and I love bbq.

And if you ever make it up to College Station, the Post Oak Mall has a Sonic too. But I really liked the McDonald's there before. <_<

Actually, Sonics have walk up locations in mall food courts and the ones I have seen were always crowded. Which is why I thought it would be a good money maker in a tunnel food court. Also, the smell can't be any worse than Beck's Prime in the Milam tunnel. You can smell that from a mile away and it is pretty off putting and I love bbq.

Incorrect, Beck's Prime smells delicious!

This would be the future food court underneath the Commerce Tower, no?

I peek through the little porthole in the temporary wall every time I pass by (usually daily), and I don't think the plan has been abandoned, because sometimes I'll see a guy in there or hear a power tool. I just think that the construction crew is probably just that one guy. And he's probably working on that in his spare time when he's not busy fixing some condo's plumbing.

That's funny I just passed by there a bit ago and saw a guy inside working on the floor. So yes I would agree that the project is still going on. And if it's really just that one guy doing all the work then he has my admiration. I hope he is able to finish because it would be great to have some more eating options down under.

Eh we all know what will happen, it will get filled with yet another Alanti, yet another Treebeard's and another kolache place.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you are talking about the food court under Commerce Tower's, it is open. There is one place in there (I forget what it is called, but it isn't a nationwide fast food chain restaurant). There are tables and such down there as well now.

Xtreme Pita is the place open there now. Chicken ETC is coming soon....the have a few more spots built out, just vacant. But when this food court is completed and full, there will be alot of lunch traffic with it being sandwiched inbetween Mid Center Food Court and the othe food court that Prince's is in. And the you have Reliant Energy Plaza next door to that....soon, that are will be mad-busy come lunch time.