Downtown Tunnel Retail News & Updates

houstonsemipro

• 1 year later...

I've exhausted my patience trying to find a current map of the downtown tunnel system. The most recent I can find is from 2005, where my building is not even connected. I guess I'll just walk down there and study the display.

Shouldn't this be something that should be readily available or am I just a retard? :blush:

There's an info booth in the tunnels that has maps, near the Reliant building, next to like a smoothie place and a food court with Prince's Hamburgers, some Mexican food place, and a Chinese place. Don't know of an internet source.

Edited by kylejack

• 7 months later...

I'm currently working on a project to create a comprehensive map of the Dallas Pedestrian Network. The network in the past has been neglected and wayfinding is terrible, so I'm hoping this project will help improve connections and visibility of the system.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dfwcre8tive/designing-a-map-for-the-dallas-pedestrian-network?

Houston's system seems to have a much better wayfinding system and naming system, but are the tunnel entrances from the streets clearly marked? In the near future there will be plans to update or repurpose the system of corridors that run through downtown Dallas. Many people want to see them abandoned, but I believe the real problem is connectivity between ground level and the pedestrian network.

What are you thoughts on pedestrian networks in an urban setting?

I'm currently working on a project to create a comprehensive map of the Dallas Pedestrian Network. The network in the past has been neglected and wayfinding is terrible, so I'm hoping this project will help improve connections and visibility of the system.

http://www.kickstart...strian-network?

Houston's system seems to have a much better wayfinding system and naming system, but are the tunnel entrances from the streets clearly marked? In the near future there will be plans to update or repurpose the system of corridors that run through downtown Dallas. Many people want to see them abandoned, but I believe the real problem is connectivity between ground level and the pedestrian network.

What are you thoughts on pedestrian networks in an urban setting?

In cities with extreme seasons either direction, I think they are fantastic. Being able to stay inside and grab a bite to eat in Houston in July is great, and doing the same in Calgary in January is pretty cool. Theirs is above ground, but it's the same thing. Many buildings are connected at the 2nd or 3rd floor by pedestrian walkways, there are places to eat in many buildings at that level as well.

I like the tunnels, but I'd rather have a network of skywalks instead. So there can be room for subway tunnels underneath. Not like that's actually going to happen, but oh well.

That's okay, the subways are limiting during flooding time. With the pedestrian walkways, you have more a technical course for white water rafting with those sharp corners.

That's okay, the subways are limiting during flooding time. With the pedestrian walkways, you have more a technical course for white water rafting with those sharp corners.

Not sure what you are trying to imply with this post, but how many times have the tunnels actually flooded?

Not sure what you are trying to imply with this post, but how many times have the tunnels actually flooded?

To my memory, only once during allison. But their is more of a fun factor should flooding should occur.

• 1 year later...

He's looking for a map of the tunnels that is formatted such that it can be superimposed on top of aerial imagery within Google Earth.

Bob, try contacting Central Houston, Inc. directly. They administer the Downtown Management District and TIRZ. If anybody has this, it will be them. If it's not in KML/KMZ, then it'll be in a different format that might still be workable for you.

Niche I tried contacting that outfit and they actually sent me some cad files. Empty and useless cad files, but something nonetheless. I did appreciate them being friendly and helpful.

Guess I will attempt to make my own map. I work dt and want to plot all of my spots such as dining, interesting places and things etc. If I come up with something I'll share it here.

Niche I tried contacting that outfit and they actually sent me some cad files. Empty and useless cad files, but something nonetheless. I did appreciate them being friendly and helpful.

Guess I will attempt to make my own map. I work dt and want to plot all of my spots such as dining, interesting places and things etc. If I come up with something I'll share it here.

Usually when someone sends you an empty cad file it's because they had external references to files on their network. I've done that myself. If you let them know the files were emtpy maybe they'll merge the xref onto the drawing and send it again.

• Like 1

I can't find any good maps of the tunnels, either, just buildings they connect to. I'd like to know more about this if possible--please keep us informed.

This one's basically accurate. http://www.houstontx.gov/abouthouston/images/tunnelmap.pdf

Not every hallway is the exact right size, but the shape of the connections look accurate. Not in KML format, though.

• 2 months later...

Didn't want to start a new topic, but I'm looking for a map of the tunnels (with the actual tenants, not just where they are), but what bothers me is I've swear I've seen an interactive one or something online fairly recently!

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

EDIT: It wasn't this one, but it does work.

Edited by IronTiger

To my memory, only once during allison. But their is more of a fun factor should flooding should occur.

Not to be a negative nancy, but if they're flooded, chances are they'll be flooded to the brim, and it would only be navigable via scuba equipment.

in which case, you'd probably need to be PADI certified for cave diving, which require first an open water and advanced open water before you can become qualified for cave diving.