Downtown Tunnel Retail News & Updates

houstonsemipro

My memory is from going on trips to the tunnels back in the 80s with my mom around Christmas to watch the First Interstate Bank do their Christmas singing thing, or to visit one of my dad's college friends that owned a jewelry store down there in the 80s. I seem to recall that they had big doors between different sections.

They were probably fire doors, to seal the areas off, and not storm doors though.

There's also a lot of duplication in the tunnels (2 Otto's BBQ, 2 Subways, 3 Alonti's, 3-4 Seattle's Best, 2 Salata's, 2 Jason's Deli, 2 Droubi Bros, etc). Even street level lunch places are duplicated in location like Zero's Sandwich shops and Pappas BBQ, although you will find better lunch places in general on the street level (something about rats in the tunnel eateries).

Edited by infinite_jim

I don't want to see where the tunnels go...that's common. It just doesn't show what's IN the tunnels.

Any area in particular, or are you just looking for everything?

I think Alonti probably has the record, they seem to be in or under every other building. Murphy's deli is close behind.

There are more independent jewlery/watch repair places than I thought would be economically sustainable. Eye doctors, dentists, convenience stores fill out the spaces not occupied by quick lunch places.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to solicit everyone's experiences and opinions on CELL PHONE service and reception in the downtown area as well as in the TUNNELS. I am currently w ATT and my contract is up soon and I am trying to see who has better service. Right now I get sporadic service on the 13th floor and almost zero signal in the tunnels.

And feedback is MOST appreciated!

Doubtful you'll ever get good service in the tunnels due to interference.  I'd be looking primarily at what kind of service you get near your office.  When I used to work downtown I'd have to go to a nearby window to make a cell call.  That was 10 years ago so hopefully the above-ground situtation is better now, but it would take a major infrastructure project to light up the tunnels with a decent signal.  They could do a few hot spots if they wanted, but I'm not sure that's on any of the carriers to-do lists.

There is an effort underway to put radio and cell signal in the tunnel system, but I don't know when it'll be installed.  Has been discussed for years, but HPD jump-started it.  Cell service is good and bad, the bad part being that downtown needs more people walking at street level!

Doesn't help much with phone calls, but several buildings provide wifi in the tunnels for internet. Can at least get some internet in many places.

That could be an option. Some carriers, like tmobile, allow you to connect via a wifi connection. Not as seamless as having a direct cell signal, though.

I don't know about downtown, but Verizon has a pretty good network out in the country.

That could be an option. Some carriers, like tmobile, allow you to connect via a wifi connection. Not as seamless as having a direct cell signal, though.

I don't know about downtown, but Verizon has a pretty good network out in the country.

I think that only works from your home wifi connection that is configured for it. Regardless, I converted my Sprint number to a Google Voice number. This means I can text message people from my regular number and check voicemails any time I have a wifi connection, even with no signal. Pretty handy.

• 1 month later...

My wife and a friend are going to the observation deck at the chase tower today. First time - really excited. Also, my wife has always wanted to go to the tunnels am I haven't been since I was a kid.

Are any tunnel areas better than others?

Also, are there any other observation decks in The area or cool lobby's we soul be allowed to go into? Thanks!

My wife and a friend are going to the observation deck at the chase tower today. First time - really excited. Also, my wife has always wanted to go to the tunnels am I haven't been since I was a kid.

Also, are there any other observation decks in The area or cool lobby's we soul be allowed to go into? Thanks!

Go to the wells fargo tower skylobby, you can get a good view of the east by south-east. ;)

• Like 1

There's also a pretty cool observation floor in Heritage Plaza. 

Chase and Wells Fargo face roughly opposite directions, so you can see pretty much everything from those two. The only other high public floor I know of is the Bank of America building, which looks down Allen Parkway.

Wells Fargo's is called a "Sky Lobby." There are two Sky Lobbies at different levels, and yes they are open to public. Can ride up from the tunnel level, actually.

Edited by kylejack

Does it have public access? I just called them and they said they don't have an "observation deck"

They not observation decks in the formal sense.  They are sky lobbies where the elevators meet to get access to the uppermost floors.  You'd likely get the same answer from all three of these buildings (Chase Tower, Wells Fargo Plaza and Heritage Plaza)

Just so you know, we are expecting some pictures from you on this trip.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I read this article in todays chronicle.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Narrowing-the-distance-between-street-tunnel-4516479.php

I'm not sure where the funding would come from but I like the idea of connecting the levels--- An open space that allows you to view a bit of what eateries and retail are on the lower level.

• 1 month later...