Downtown Tunnel Retail News & Updates

houstonsemipro

• 3 months later...
My dad is always talking about the downtown tunnel system, and i have never been in there. does anyone have any pictures of what it looks like? and are they to blame for the lack of street-level retail in Downtown?

do you live in Houston? If so, just pop into 1000 Main (although many others will do) and go down and check it out.

Lack of street level retail is probably due in part to the tunnels, part to the weather, and part due to the fact that up until a couple of years ago, you really didn't want to walk around on the street level if you didn't have to (or so I've heard) due to construction, crime and grime. Feel free to correct me on this statement though.

Edited by wendyps

http://www.discoverhoustontours.com/Welcom...em%20020722.htm

Google on 'Houston Tunnel Lady' for more possibilities.

I live in Houston, in the east side, near Uvalde. i know what the tunnel system is, i just want to know what it looks like inside. the last time i went Downtown was to go play with some of my friends at Root Memorial Square, but im too lazy to go to downtown and actually go in there. just wanted to know if anyone had any photos they could share with me.

I live in Houston, in the east side, near Uvalde. i know what the tunnel system is, i just want to know what it looks like inside. the last time i went Downtown was to go play with some of my friends at Root Memorial Square, but im too lazy to go to downtown and actually go in there. just wanted to know if anyone had any photos they could share with me.

I'm not sure pictures would do it justice. Imagine a shopping mall with narrow corridors. Nothing exotic. Just alot of convienient places to have lunch, get your hair cut, your nails done, cash a check, use an ATM, see an eye doctor or dentist. It's a very functional 9-5 place.

B)

• 2 months later...
I wonder if anyone ever decided to take a rafting trip through the tunnel system when that happened. The new Houston sport, "Underground Tunnel River Rafting! Coming soon to a downtown tunnel system after a tropical storm or hurricane near you!" And if so, do you think Mattress Mac would sponser it?

We'd put San Antonio's Riverwalk to shame. :P

I wonder if anyone ever decided to take a rafting trip through the tunnel system when that happened. The new Houston sport, "Underground Tunnel River Rafting! Coming soon to a downtown tunnel system after a tropical storm or hurricane near you!" And if so, do you think Mattress Mac would sponser it?

ROFL

just curious, do mattresses even float? it wouldnt matter he'd still do it though...

Edited by zaphod

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Plastic

I go through Downtown's Tunnels. The complexity of then is about the only thing impressive. They need to rennovate it and make it more like a mall. They could have shopping,entertainment and dining. RIght now it's just for people whom work in the vicinity.

They could have it open 24/7 but they'd need independent entrances cause the buildings all close around 6.

I havent been in the tunnels either, but riding downtown tourist always ask where they are. Funny that its such a point of interest

I've been to the tunnels once, ate at one of the Treebeards. I think there is some interest in the tunnels because you pretty much have to work in a building connected to them to ever make use of it. If you work anywhere else, it's a special trip during normal work hours to see it. Which is what I did. My fiancee was working downtown at the time so I took a long lunch and checked it out from Clear Lake.

I think of the Chase observation deck in the same way. Only open during business hours??? Huh?

• 6 months later...

New thread because the other's didn't want match up with the actual topic.

I've been rather curious to know if this will be done with the additional developments going on downtown. While I know the Cathedral is basically in the "outskirts" of downtown, HP, the Finger Property, along with other developments, do you think an expansion might be likely?

I know there are a few on here that think the tunnel would retard the ability for people to actually be outside. But there is something to be said about walking in comfort from one side of the city to another.

New thread because the other's didn't want match up with the actual topic.

I've been rather curious to know if this will be done with the additional developments going on downtown. While I know the Cathedral is basically in the "outskirts" of downtown, HP, the Finger Property, along with other developments, do you think an expansion might be likely?

I know there are a few on here that think the tunnel would retard the ability for people to actually be outside. But there is something to be said about walking in comfort from one side of the city to another.

I don't think the issue with the tunnels is that they affirmatively preventing people from walking outside. Rather the problem is that the tunnel allow people the option of walking "comfort", which in turn leads to food and retail establishments that are forced to close at 5pm. But for the Tunnels, the business crowd would be forced to eat at street level, and unlike tunnel tenants, street level establishments have the option of remaining open after 5pm. It is reasonable to believe that many businesses currently located in the tunnel would find it worthwhile to remain open for a few extra hours to capture the residential / evening event crowd. In short, the tunnels cannibalize potential street level development potential.

On a slightly different note, does anyone actually like the tunnels? I find them to be anything but comfortable. They're dimly lit, crowded, and confusing even to the frequent tunnel user. Even in August a 5-10 minute walk outside really isn't really that bad compared to spending you lunch hour in a dank tunnel.

Edited by jdbaker

On a slightly different note, does anyone actually like the tunnels?

Not really. They are pretty lame and I avoid them if possible. There are some nice stretches like under CenterPoint and Reliant.

My pet peave is having five office co-workers walk side by side trying to talk and blocking the passage.

We need tunnel monitors to start handing out citations to these fools.

I don't know. I enjoy the tunnels. Maybe it's just the result of my first job in downtown and all the "glitz and glammer" or whatever you want to call it. I think the tunnels just add to Houston. Running out of retail space up top? so they just go below. To be honest, I hated being trapped in the office all day, so I'd go into the tunnels to grab lunch, wander around, "prarie dogging" it until I found some place to sit and eat. I think I found more places to sit and relax around downtown than I ever had if I had had to walk street-level the whole way.

And crowded? I don't recall ever finding the tunnels very crowded. Maybe under where Bank One/Chase used to be, near Beck's. (Still don't understand the appeal of that place. Ew?) Besides, it was always funny to see the same tunnel-walkers every day.