Downtown Tunnel Retail News & Updates

houstonsemipro

I thought the point was to escape the outside weather! 

Is disappointing, but maybe not surprising, that no cafe-style restaurants have opened on "Main Street Square".  I know that was the plan, but restaurant owners apparently don't see the site as being all that attractive.  I suspect part of the problem is limited parking access at that location.  Houston Retail said at one point that some street-level retail would be carved out of the First City garage.

In time, Main St. Square will be the destination we all hope it will be. It'll take some time, but it will be fantastic soon enough.

I was finally able to make a trip to the tunnel system one Friday Afternoon. I only walked down a small part of it. The portion where Main and McKinney intersect and accessed it from the building on the northwest corner. Even though it was after business hours, i didn't see the tunnel system as very exciting or even appealing. It reminded me of just a regular office building with a few stores or gift shops. I would much rather see street level activity because it would be more impressive for the city of Houston. The tunnel system is very limited because for one thing, it's only a day spot where a few people go have lunch. If Houston still wanted to preserve the underground activity and appeal to more tourists, it needs to have a shorter tunnel that runs maybe only 2 miles long with all the shops centralized (in one main point), and have more trolleys providing service to that centralized area of the tunnel. The other 5 miles of the tunnel could remain open only as pathways to the main part of the tunnel. It needs to be more visible from street level. Perhaps a big neon sign that says"Houston Underground Main Entrance". It also shouldn't be too far from Main Street because yes, no one exactly wants to be caught dead outside in Houston's heat in the middle of July. I have noticed that Houston does not promote itself a whole lot to let outsiders know exactly what's here. Just by driving through downtown, i would never know that there are so many Fortune 500 companies there. For example, the AT&T building looks like a back of a warehouse. At night, there are no neon signs so people know AT&T is here. The Toyota Center did good but the rest of the place (besides Main Street) doesn't strike me too much as the focal point Houston should have. I guess i'm basing all my ideas off what i see in Atlanta. It seems that its working well for ATL but i guess i have to realize that it doesn't exactly mean it would work for Houston.

Welcome back Greystone;

The thing is that during the daytime it's a completely different scene because everything is busy and it's always activity as far as the food establisments go.

The tunnel system isn't really a tourist place, but rather a functional part of Downtown Houston that actually serves a vital importance.

I don't think I'd like to see the Tunnel open AFTER hours as that would suck away the nightlife on the surface.

Ricco

But it doesnt hurt to try, for what greystone said.

Thanks guys for the warm "Houston" welcome back. I was simply saying that they should centralize more shops and things in one main tunnel as an alternative to going outside in the heat those three months of the year. But yes ricco is right in one way, you can't really have one without the other. In Atlanta, there's tourist museums and things around the same block as Underground Atlanta mall and people use underground Atlanta to go as another place to shop and get out of the cold in the winter and the heat in the summer. That's what i'm suggesting they should do for the tunnel. Use it as an alternative, not a replacement to street level

i would love to see a big book seller like borders or barnes and noble develop a main street parcel which connects to the tunnels below; a multi-level store with sales floors below and at street level. if security is an issue, close the tunnel level entrances when the tunnel schedule requires

i would love to see a big book seller like borders or barnes and noble develop a main street parcel which connects to the tunnels below; a multi-level store with sales floors below and at street level.  if security is an issue, close the tunnel level entrances when the tunnel schedule requires

That could be a good concept for helping to bridge the gap between tunnel and street retail. However, I don't think downtown's reached a point where it can support such a store yet.

That could be a good concept for helping to bridge the gap between tunnel and street retail. However, I don't think downtown's reached a point where it can support such a store yet.

Worked admirably for the old Woolworth's. I used to drop by and coo at the parakeets on my way to lunch in the tunnel.

Worked admirably for the old Woolworth's. I used to drop by and coo at the parakeets on my way to lunch in the tunnel.

I didn't mean a store in that format (some retail ground level, some tunnel level). I should have been more clear - I intended that to mean I didn't think downtown could support a large bookstore like that yet.

Good point, ssullivan.

Is it just me, or is everyone unsure as to the fate of the printed page and brick-and-mortar stores? Will we dinosaurs still have those options in a few years, or will everything come into our homes through this little cable? amazon.com seems to be doing a booming business, and many newspapers and periodicals are available online.

I hope the next generation will have the pleasure of browsing through books and finding new interests of which they were perhaps unaware. The efficiency of computers is sometimes a disadvantage.

Good point, ssullivan.

Is it just me, or is everyone unsure as to the fate of the printed page and brick-and-mortar stores? Will we dinosaurs still have those options in a few years, or will everything come into our homes through this little cable? amazon.com seems to be doing a booming business, and many newspapers and periodicals are available online.

I hope the next generation will have the pleasure of browsing through books and finding new interests of which they were perhaps unaware. The efficiency of computers is sometimes a disadvantage.

I agree. I for one prefer to buy books in a store. I know there are eBooks now but those really don't seem to have caught on all that much, and I certainly don't want to have to sit at the computer to read a novel before going to bed at night. I do make some purchases from Amazon, but those are usually because I do some travel writing work for a website that offers non-cash compensation, and I usually pick Amazon gift certificates as my redemption. And, unfortunately, sometimes there are books that I want to read that I can't find at any of the local stores and I am forced to order them online. It would be nice if Houston had a large, independent bookseller like Powell's in Portland, Tattered Cover in Denver or BookPeople in Austin. I'd gladly support a local operation over Borders or Barnes & Noble.

WOW the tunnel has more to offer (WAY MORE) the Main street!

The tunnel has more to offer at 12:00 noon on Tuesday. Try getting something at 3:30 though. The tunnel entities are shut down pretty quick after lunch...and I might add that I'm not aware of too many places i'd want to spend my Friday night out in the tunnel...

The tunnel has more to offer at 12:00 noon on Tuesday.  Try getting something at 3:30 though.  The tunnel entities are shut down pretty quick after lunch...and I might add that I'm not aware of too many places i'd want to spend my Friday night out in the tunnel...

Yeah i agree. Houston needs to bring more life above ground.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Many of the businesses in San Antonio can be accessed either from the street or from the riverwalk. This helps to keep both areas vibrant. Maybe we should offer a financial incentive for business owners in downtown Houston to design their properties so that they can be accessed both from the street AND the tunnel system. Or maybe just the increased traffic would be enough incentive...

• 9 months later...

By PATRICK O'GILFOIL HEALY

Published: August 3, 2005

Like many failed ideas, the skywalks in Cincinnati were built with only the best intentions.

Two dozen cities across the country pursued similar plans over the last 30 years, building skywalks and underground retail catacombs to keep businesses and stores from fleeing to suburbs and shopping malls. They ensconced shoppers and office workers in well-lighted, climate-controlled environments and insulated them from crime, cold and urban blight.

But now, many of these cities are gripped with builders' remorse. They say the skyways and tunnels have choked off pedestrian traffic, hurt street-level retailers and limited development in the city core.

And now, as cities try to draw residents downtown with loft conversions and tax incentives, several are trying to divert pedestrians back to the street and do away with the walkways. Critics say the walkways are too antiseptic and too controlled and have transformed cities into places to pass through, not live in.

"If I could take a cement mixer and pour cement in and clog up the tunnels, I would do it today," said Laura Miller, the mayor of Dallas, referring to the city's tunnels. "It was the worst urban planning decision that Dallas has ever made. They thought it was hip and groovy to create an underground community, but it was a death knell."

Link to full article?

I love and hate our tunnel system.

- I will love it when I walk home for lunch today and not sweat my arss off after walking 10 blocks. I have a lot of lunch options and can grab a gift for my date tonight.

- I will hate it this weekend when people are asking me where all the retail is. I will have to say "It's in the tunnels - oh, but the tunnels are locked up on the weekends."

If Houston's tunnel never existed, there is no doubt downtown would be completely different today. A lot more street level activity and shops everywhere.

Stress on the word few.

I have one question for people use the tunnels: If downtown had all this street level retail and bustling pedestrian crowds, would you be OK with being late to your job because the restraunts and stores were too crowded.

I think the tunnels should coexist with the street level retail. It will help keep some of the visitors away from businessmen that have to grab a quick lunch. Just my thought. I don't work in downtown so would like someone's opion on that. Because when will the pedestrian street traffic be too much? Have you seen pics of Tokyo and Seoul when pedestrians are out walking? Cars can't even use the roads.

I dream of the day that Houston has a problem with too many pedestrians on its streets. With more pedestrians comes more stores and restaurants, so don't worry about the business men. The ones in suits can usually take as long as they want for lunch. If you're hourly, you bring your lunch or you get fastfood.

If downtown had all this street level retail and bustling pedestrian crowds, would you be OK with being late to your job because the restraunts and stores were too crowded.

I think that's the kind of problem people can easily live with. Tunnels coexist with street level retail now, but draw off many people so that neither the tunnels or the street are exactly bustling, exciting, retail environments. We're in no danger of being anything like Tokyo anytime soon.