Downtown Tunnel Retail News & Updates

houstonsemipro

My pet peave is having five office co-workers walk side by side trying to talk and blocking the passage.

We need tunnel monitors to start handing out citations to these fools.

People be doin that at school, too. I just bull-rush right through them. Then they be walkin so slow.

Edited by Trae

I say build the tunnels underground for when the weather is not ideal for walking outside... but don't put any retail or restraunts or anything else down there... keep that all above ground on the street. Sure we can put nice art work or neat lighting in the tunnels to make them fun to walk through, but just make them for walking... not for sitting, eating, shopping, etc. If you want to get to another part of town, you go underground and walk in the tunnels to that part of Downtown and them come right up to the surface when you get there.

The tunnel 'system' (hah!) makes its users feel like lab rats - but with no cheese at the end of the maze. What an utterly disorientating place! I've been tempted to leave a trail of bread crumbs so that I can retrace my steps. Usually it's necessary for me to pop up to street level every few blocks to get my bearings.

To address ricco's question, it would be surprising if the new construction downtown didn't connect up with the existing tunnels. I only hope that a little more effort is put into making them user-friendly.

I agree that you should limit on what should be down there and make them more along the lines of a transportation route.

One time someone asked me why downtown was so empty, even during rush hour, and then I took her into a few of the branches and she was stunned. The look on her face was great. :)

I have never been down there before. I know they are open only on the weekdays prob why i have never been down there! Where are the entrances for the tunnels I would like to see what they look like even if its not that great. I probably have the same look ol' face as that lady?

I have never been down there before. I know they are open only on the weekdays prob why i have never been down there! Where are the entrances for the tunnels I would like to see what they look like even if its not that great. I probably have the same look ol' face as that lady?

You're not missing a lot. They look and feel like a narrower version of a circa early 1980's airport terminal cocorridor. Certain portions have cockroach problems, while others leak a good bit. All in all they're awful.

There are times when they are very convenient. Too cold outside? Rainy? On the other side of the coin however, they are dank and some portions smell horrible. AND a breeding ground for germs. I believe one of the original intentions was to relieve pedestrian traffic at street level to relieve traffic snarls.

There are some street level places that offer tunnel access, corner street bakery, topz, the park shops. I like to have the option of going street level or through the tunnel.

There are times when they are very convenient. Too cold outside? Rainy? On the other side of the coin however, they are dank and some portions smell horrible. AND a breeding ground for germs. I believe one of the original intentions was to relieve pedestrian traffic at street level to relieve traffic snarls.

If people in Philly, DC, NYC and Boston can handle the cold up there, Houstonians can handle the cold here w/o needing to run into tunnels. That's why we have coats, gloves, scarves, etc... to keep you warm outside. Rain... use an umbrella. I can understand when it's hot and humid b/c it sux to sweat after only walking 2 blocks... but cold and rain... people can learn to handle that.

I worked at 806 Main for 3 years right after college. I hated the tunnels. The streets were just so much more interesting and after sitting in a tight cubicle all morning, the last thing I wanted to do at lunch was walk down to some dreary underground hallway.

Houstonians have to be the biggest spoiled babies. Too cold to walk downtown in HOUSTON? Too rainy? Too hot and humid to walk 3 blocks?

Try walking to work for a week after an ice storm when the high temp reaches just 18 and the winds are blowing out of the west at 25 mph. That's what I've dealt with all week and I still enjoy walking!

So looking from that, is it possible for the Park Tower to have tunnel access. Is it possible to extend it to the Pavilions, too?

Downtown residents don't have to be on the tunnel system -- only two properties are on it now. One Park Place (formerly called Park Tower) could be on the tunnel/skybridge system. All it takes is a lot of $ and the OK from your neighbor to connect to his property, but Marvy decided a tunnel connection wasn't necessary.

Pavilions doesn't plan to connect. The tunnel is a huge amenity for office workers for downtown workers, but Pavilions won't feed of the downtown worker -- it will be a destination for people who don't need the tunnel. They will, however, have a skybridge linking the project to the Main Garage. A connection would probably help the 198,000 sf office tower, but you're going to have a different office tenant in that building than most of the rest of downtown. Those tenants are going to want different/interesting/unique/creative space, and they won't be as adament about a tunnel connection.

Downtown residents don't have to be on the tunnel system -- only two properties are on it now. One Park Place (formerly called Park Tower) could be on the tunnel/skybridge system. All it takes is a lot of $ and the OK from your neighbor to connect to his property, but Marvy decided a tunnel connection wasn't necessary.

Pavilions doesn't plan to connect. The tunnel is a huge amenity for office workers for downtown workers, but Pavilions won't feed of the downtown worker -- it will be a destination for people who don't need the tunnel. They will, however, have a skybridge linking the project to the Main Garage. A connection would probably help the 198,000 sf office tower, but you're going to have a different office tenant in that building than most of the rest of downtown. Those tenants are going to want different/interesting/unique/creative space, and they won't be as adament about a tunnel connection.

I recall there was an entrance at the McDonald's (I think it was on Walker)?

Not really. They are pretty lame and I avoid them if possible. There are some nice stretches like under CenterPoint and Reliant.

My pet peave is having five office co-workers walk side by side trying to talk and blocking the passage.

We need tunnel monitors to start handing out citations to these fools.

I worked downtown off and on, the last time was for 4 years, 2000-2004. We lived in the tunnels. You get used to it, and the best places to eat - the best prices overall - are or were in the tunnel.

I hate when a ton of people walk side by side in the tunnel.

I also hate it when you are almost running in the tunnel, trying to keep up, and someone passes you anyway!

I worked at 806 Main for 3 years right after college. I hated the tunnels. The streets were just so much more interesting and after sitting in a tight cubicle all morning, the last thing I wanted to do at lunch was walk down to some dreary underground hallway.

You really think the streets were so much more interesting in the past? The stench of piss and garbage i dont find interesting along with the exhaust from many many busses. I think the tunnels are a great idea.

I also dont think we should limit the number of businesses that operate in the tunnels, thats insane :(

Practical width: 2-6 people wide,depending on where you are.

Height: You never have to duck.

It gets down to a two person width at times? Yikes. And the fact that you say you don't have to duck tells me they're tall enough, but probably not as tall as they should be. Sounds like they're eight foot ceilings, which doesn't sound all that comfortable.

It gets down to a two person width at times? Yikes. And the fact that you say you don't have to duck tells me they're tall enough, but probably not as tall as they should be. Sounds like they're eight foot ceilings, which doesn't sound all that comfortable.

heights and widths vary

The majority of the tunnels are ~6 person width. The only 2 person passage I can think of is at the Public Works building (or if you count escalator width as "person width"). Ceilings vary from 8 ft to over 20 feet. Some of the flooring is cheap tile, others are beautiful polished granite. It really just depends on how much the property owner wanted to invest into the construction of that particular section.

Since the tunnel system itself is not owned by a particular entity, each section is constructed and maintained by the owner of its respective aboveground property. So, it naturally makes sense for property owners to open up retail space both above ground, and below ground.

There is not a consistent architectural theme to the tunnel system. Each section has widely different styles. Some sections are actually just pathways through underground garages, with no special aesthetics (I'm thinking of the path between the public works building and the hobby center) So, depending on which part of the tunnels you've walked through, you can come to varying conclusions on the condition of the tunnel system as a whole. Overall, they are very nice in my opinion (much nicer than the average subway terminals).

I'm personally a fan of the tunnel system. They're the safest and quickest way to get around downtown on foot, no waiting for traffic signals.

Edited by Blake

The majority of the tunnels are ~6 person width. The only 2 person passage I can think of is at the Public Works building (or if you count escalator width as "person width"). Ceilings vary from 8 ft to over 20 feet. Some of the flooring is cheap tile, others are beautiful polished granite. It really just depends on how much the property owner wanted to invest into the construction of that particular section.

Since the tunnel system itself is not owned by a particular entity, each section is constructed and maintained by the owner of its respective aboveground property. So, it naturally makes sense for property owners to open up retail space both above ground, and below ground.

There is not a consistent architectural theme to the tunnel system. Each section has widely different styles. Some sections are actually just pathways through underground garages, with no special aesthetics (I'm thinking of the path between the public works building and the hobby center) So, depending on which part of the tunnels you've walked through, you can come to varying conclusions on the condition of the tunnel system as a whole. Overall, they are very nice in my opinion (much nicer than the average subway terminals).

I'm personally a fan of the tunnel system. They're the safest and quickest way to get around downtown on foot, no waiting for traffic signals.

Very good summary. Thank you.

I say build the tunnels underground for when the weather is not ideal for walking outside... but don't put any retail or restraunts or anything else down there... keep that all above ground on the street. Sure we can put nice art work or neat lighting in the tunnels to make them fun to walk through, but just make them for walking... not for sitting, eating, shopping, etc. If you want to get to another part of town, you go underground and walk in the tunnels to that part of Downtown and them come right up to the surface when you get there.

Well put. I agree with you.