37 minutes ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

Greentown Labs sounds like a weed manufacturer.

ITYM "high-volume delta-8 extraction facility". At least until the Lege tries to outlaw delta-8 again.

Maybe they should've called it "H-town Labs", where "H" = "herb".

Edited by mkultra25
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to 4510 Main St.
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2021 at 2:46 PM, hindesky said:

Guys were working on adding the planters back on the parking garage mock up. Asked them why they were taken off and they didn't know. They also don't know when they will start working on the garage.

6r6uLlF.jpg

Looks like they are doing color selections to me. Seeing how each color works in the daylight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/business/2021/10/12/410697/shut-out-of-a-contract-a-third-ward-community-coalition-continues-to-fight-for-equitable-development-of-houstons-ion-district/

Im confused? I mean this in no disrespect but why should they care about 3rd ward if they're.....not in 3rd ward? 2nd ward residents seem to be more welcoming of all the projects going on in 2nd ward (EADO for example) 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Amlaham said:

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/business/2021/10/12/410697/shut-out-of-a-contract-a-third-ward-community-coalition-continues-to-fight-for-equitable-development-of-houstons-ion-district/

Im confused? I mean this in no disrespect but why should they care about 3rd ward if they're.....not in 3rd ward? 2nd ward residents seem to be more welcoming of all the projects going on in 2nd ward (EADO for example) 

This literally the way it is stated is extortion. Disgusting 

They make it sound like Rice which is a non-profit is some sort of Fortune 500 company. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, wilcal said:

It is. Green is Third Ward. 

YQCt9eg.jpg

Before TXDOT built highways that cut the Third Ward into pieces, the boundaries were Main St in Midtown and Harrisburg in the East End. Even if you don't consider anything west of 59 as being Third Ward, the effects of the development has the potential to affect the historical community in the area. 

I had no idea! I didn't even know the museum district, downtown, and EADO were all considered 3rd ward! Thanks for the explanation!

• Like 1

Just now, tigereye said:

This infuriates me. As a nearby resident who’s live in the area for the last decade, Rice’s involvement has cleaned up a once seedy part of town. Where was the “The Houston Coalition for Equitable Development Without Displacement” when this area was a shantytown? This isn't about gentrification. This is a shakedown for free benefits when they haven’t done shit previously. 

Totally agree with this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, tigereye said:

This infuriates me. As a nearby resident who’s live in the area for the last decade, Rice’s involvement has cleaned up a once seedy part of town. Where was the “The Houston Coalition for Equitable Development Without Displacement” when this area was a shantytown? This isn't about gentrification. This is a shakedown for free benefits when they haven’t done shit previously. 

Especially when the very premise is a complete falsehood.  Rice's project is causing exactly zero displacement.

• Like 8

It's not really Rice's project itself. It's the fact that they expect land prices across 288 to skyrocket due to the Ion, displacing people there.

Imho Rice is doing a standup job, assuming they follow through. This coalition is based on the assumption that unless an agreement is made with them and them specifically, Rice can disregard whatever agreement they made with the city and not be penalized. How that's different than Rice theoretically disregarding whatever agreement they might make with this coalition, when the city is probably going to be the one they call to enforce their agreement . . . I'm not sure really.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2021 at 6:16 PM, wilcal said:

It is. Green is Third Ward. 

YQCt9eg.jpg

Before TXDOT built highways that cut the Third Ward into pieces, the boundaries were Main St in Midtown and Harrisburg in the East End. Even if you don't consider anything west of 59 as being Third Ward, the effects of the development has the potential to affect the historical community in the area. 

3rd ward, the ward doesn't exist, wards were done more than a century ago in Houston. they live on as a history of the areas, but there are areas that were part of the original 3rd ward that no one would consider to be part of 3rd ward (from a historic standpoint). I mean, Lawndale and Wayside, would anyone consider this 3rd ward? Polk and Lockwood? I don't think anyone would say "yeah, that's 3rd ward". if someone asks where the soccer stadium is, is the first answer "3rd ward" and would that make any sense to anyone?

but because it fits in a narrative today, some still claim certain areas that are outside of the super neighborhood named greater 3rd ward as being part of 3rd ward, and it just doesn't fit.

the western boundary of the super neighborhood greater 3rd ward is 288, except for a small portion along Almeda south of 59. 

https://www.houstontx.gov/health/chs/Greater Third Ward.pdf

Heights is another neighborhood cut by a freeway, south of I10 isn't considered to be the Heights (well, I'm sure developers are quick to latch on for marketing purposes, but not many normal people consider south of I10 as part of the heights) but the historic start of the heights was south of I10.

anyway, this innovation thingy is part of the current Midtown Super Neighborhood. 

and the main crux, @tigereye hit above, these so called community leaders don't care about the area until there is a potential benefit.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, HouTXRanger said:

How that's different than Rice theoretically disregarding whatever agreement they might make with this coalition, when the city is probably going to be the one they call to enforce their agreement . . . I'm not sure really.

The reason for doing it with the community is so the city isn't involved with enforcement. Breach of contract would be handled by a court. If the CBA is with the city, the city does what the mayor wants, so he/she can choose not to enforce it. CBAs are traditionally made bypassing the city because of this.

16 hours ago, hindesky said:

PqVV6U9.png

$6.6 million for parking garage vegetation?

$6.4 million for two "public plazas" that will be on private property?

IDK about all that. The TIRZ could do so much more with that money.

1 hour ago, samagon said:

3rd ward, the ward doesn't exist, wards were done more than a century ago in Houston. they live on as a history of the areas, but there are areas that were part of the original 3rd ward that no one would consider to be part of 3rd ward (from a historic standpoint). I mean, Lawndale and Wayside, would anyone consider this 3rd ward? Polk and Lockwood? I don't think anyone would say "yeah, that's 3rd ward". if someone asks where the soccer stadium is, is the first answer "3rd ward" and would that make any sense to anyone?

but because it fits in a narrative today, some still claim certain areas that are outside of the super neighborhood named greater 3rd ward as being part of 3rd ward, and it just doesn't fit.

the western boundary of the super neighborhood greater 3rd ward is 288, except for a small portion along Almeda south of 59. 

https://www.houstontx.gov/health/chs/Greater Third Ward.pdf

Heights is another neighborhood cut by a freeway, south of I10 isn't considered to be the Heights (well, I'm sure developers are quick to latch on for marketing purposes, but not many normal people consider south of I10 as part of the heights) but the historic start of the heights was south of I10.

anyway, this innovation thingy is part of the current Midtown Super Neighborhood. 

and the main crux, @tigereye hit above, these so called community leaders don't care about the area until there is a potential benefit.

I think the bolded statement is completely disingenuous, and really doesn't even make sense. The Fiesta was by far the most convenient grocery store for a large portion of the Third Ward (with some portions having car ownership rates in the 60%s), so it isn't just about "potential benefits". 

Some of the leaders aren't even directly affected by this, but are trying to help support voices that are typically squashed. As has been talked about earlier in the thread, Rice's interaction with the black community in Houston isn't exactly a positive history. Several of the members are Rice students that want to see more equity from their university. So yes, it is expected that there hasn't been a continuous push by some of the members in this one specific area. Sears had also been sitting on a what, 50 year lease? And that is something that did help serve needs in the community whereas the Ion might not. 

And in terms of Third Ward, yes, the highways have re-edged the borders of neighborhoods, but you have to also see that there are areas of strong black culture and residents, like along Almeda, still exist in those parts that are outside the "modern" boundaries. 

The Kwik Kopy building is up for sale at like 7-10X its appraised value. There will be ramifications felt by local residents because Rice decided to make such a significant change.

CBAs are definitely a new thing for Houston, but to claim that a grassroots org is just demanding handouts when they see their neighborhood continuing to change, and not to benefit long-term residents is not a great take imho.

• Like 3