Lol seriously. I said it was on 38, kbates said it was on 36.. It's really on 37. Hence, we were both wrong.. Ah well. No point derailing this thread with pointing fingers.

He said 36 based on the old pic which was correct.

Edited by xsatyr
  • Like 1

Quite a few buildings don't have a 13th floor. I was told it was a construction/ design / client superstition although I'm not sure which one makes the decision or who's superstitious. I'd like to know more, if what I was told is not right. Seems like I remember being given that explanation back in the 60's.

Edited by bobruss

Quite a few buildings don't have a 13th floor. I was told it was a construction/ design / client superstition although I'm not sure which one makes the decision or who's superstitious. I'd like to know more, if what I was told is not right. Seems like I remember being given that explanation back in the 60's.

I thought it was primarily hotels that don't have 13th floors, but I guess a lot of apartment towers carry on the tradition/superstition too.

Edited by Houston19514

From my understanding it's mostly Hotels. Some Residential ones do it also, but not many. I no office towers really don't give flying crap :P. As far as ranking of superstition among project crews, by far it would be the clients.

I want to see a pic of the Christmas Tree thing on the final floor when it is put up, will they do that?

A tree on a building's structure indicates that it has been "topped out" meaning that the structural part is essentially completed. This is true whether the structure is steel or concrete (or maybe even wood!). As far as I know the tree can be of any species. I think the trend though is to use an evergreen of some sort, like a fir tree, since any given building can top out at any time of the year. Sometimes it is a cut tree and will be disposed of at some point. Sometimes it is planted in a large container and may wind up as part of the building's landscaping. It is an old tradition and one I hope continues for a long, long time.

I wish i worked in Williams. The view is amazing in all angles, especially around half way up. I was just visiting someone on 40 and they have a nice conference room on the east side that I was able to take a few shots from. I also went up to the top (64?) and was able to walk up to the westward facing window to take shots on that side. I was asked to leave about 5 minutes later as it was a private office.

Wikipedia said there was an observation deck on 51, but that floor has been converted to private offices.

Sorry to get off topic.

Edited by nolaboy
  • Like 1

I wish i worked in Williams. The view is amazing in all angles, especially around half way up. I was just visiting someone on 40 and they have a nice conference room on the east side that I was able to take a few shots from. I also went up to the top (64?) and was able to walk up to the westward facing window to take shots on that side. I was asked to leave about 5 minutes later as it was a private office. Wikipedia said there was an observation deck on 51, but that floor has been converted to private offices. Sorry to get off topic.

heh, no worries. thanks! i wish there were still an observation deck there. it would make a great vantage point with downtown, the TMC, and Upper Kirby to the east, and memorial city, city centre, and the energy corridor to the west.

Emporis has the height estimated at 533.24', Sounds about right, 13.33" per floor or so.

interesting! i hope that is right.