Not sure if this info has been publicized, if so oh well...

Slated for 2014 completion, 2929 Weslayan is a 40 story mixed-use project situated on 1.7 acres at the northeast corner of West Alabama and Weslayan, adjacent to Highland Village and Houston’s prestigious River Oaks subdivision.

http://www.pmrg.com/development/multi-family-development/multi-family-gallery/2929-weslayan/

The project will feature approximately 254 for-rent luxury apartment homes, with units ranging in size from 850 to 4,000 square feet. The building offers three penthouse levels, generous terraces, downtown views, direct-access elevators, and 12,500 square feet of ground-floor retail, which will be anchored by an upscale restaurant that will service the surrounding community and the tenants.

Sophisticated and warm finishes are planned for apartment units, including hardwood floors, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, designer lighting, plumbing fixtures as well as gas stovetops. Public spaces and amenities include a twenty-foot high wall fountain in the lobby, rich stone and wood material palette throughout, heavily landscaped, half-acre terrace, resort-inspired pool, state-of-the-art fitness center and aqua lounge. 2929 Weslayan will achieve LEED Silver status upon its completion in 2014.

I have yet to see a pic of any new building on here with the evergreen tree indicating it is topped out, this would be a good one if they do that.

They still have just a little ways to go.

The view of this tower from Highland Village is awesome with the Palm Trees.

well yes guys, i was of course thinking that it has to be the unfortunate angles of the camera.  however, i have viewed countless pics of this wonderful addition to our city (now under construction), and so many of pics have the tower itself leaning.  i cannot even name the number of pics that i have viewed as per the williams tower, and it is never ever leaning upon such a strange way.  oh well... who knows.

You don't really think the building is leaning do you?

Its the camera.

well yes guys, i was of course thinking that it has to be the unfortunate angles of the camera. however, i have viewed countless pics of this wonderful addition to our city (now under construction), and so many of pics have the tower itself leaning. i cannot even name the number of pics that i have viewed as per the williams tower, and it is never ever leaning upon such a strange way. oh well... who knows.

It's called perspective. There are special camera lenses designed to correct it, otherwise pictures of buildings (especially tall ones and/or if taken up close) will always angle towards the vanishing point.

• Like 1

Disappointment alert!  The balcony rails will not be clad in glass but rather with a material very similar to the Dynamo Stadium aluminum facade. Took pictures of the 5th floor railing being installed today with my iphone but I can't seem to post them. 

I can't say the renderings were deceptive because upon a second detailed look its been this material all along, I just assumed it was all glass. For me, this changes the whole look of the building. :(

wait, its aluminum balcony rail/walls? interesting.. ill have to reserve judgement until i see it in person, but i was wondering about that since the railings looked greyish in some of the renderings.

for the record, i like Dynamo Stadium. and the aluminum Gensler skybridge from the Ballet Center. aluminum can be very nice looking, i was just under the impression it would be glass.

Edited by cloud713

This rendering of the "evening gown" base is probably the most accurate.  If you look closely, you'll see the cladding of the 5th floor balcony is a different material than the glass on the 1st-4th floors. The material is in fact aluminum which could appear white depending on the lighting.

If the sun hits this building just right, it may give a shiny metal clad look rather than glass.

updated renderings from Culturemap:

signature restaurant that will occupy part of the 12,500 square feet of retail space on the bottom floor will be his or her kitchen. Nail wants it to be upscale enough for special occasions, but casual enough that residents can eat there every day. Catering will be available for room service and pool deck delivery.

The remaining retail space will be occupied by amenities that will benefit the residents, like a day spa and a dry cleaner, set off by a 20-foot high wall fountain in the lobby.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/11-14-12-new-luxury-high-rise-upped-from-35-to-40-floors-a-sneak-peek-at-houstons-tallest-apartment-tower/

the distinctive facade was "inspired by a flowing evening gown,"

Screen_Shot_2012-11-13_at_4.08.11_PM.800

Screen_Shot_2012-11-13_at_4.08.26_PM.525

C01_mod.800w_600h.jpg

Screen_Shot_2012-11-13_at_4.08.06_PM.800

I don't think you'll like it.  The balconies are such a prominent part of the facade that I fear the building will look like an upright Dynamo Stadium with a little glass here and there.

51475499.jpg

because...reasons!?

• Like 4

51475499.jpg

because...reasons!?

I'm pretty sure the "metal balconies" in these renderings is see through... So if it is actually metal, the renderings are deceptive and flat out incorrect. Since when is aluminum transparent? Never Edited by Avossos

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like in every new photo that someone post of Houston, the more the downtown, uptown and TMC skylines look like one giant mega skyline. Every day these skylines seem to get closer and closer to each other. Houston is growing out, up and in. Very cool pic.

• Like 1

Those views are fantastic! If anyone would like to make a huge donation so I can get a place there, just send me your details in a PM.

we could buy a unit and split the cost as a haif happy hour pad, but, we would all probably drink too much and miss a lot of work..

• Like 3