simply outstanding views!  how on earth did you work your magic to get inside of a live work zone to photograph urbannizer?  do you know someone upon the site?  once again, outstanding work.

Those views appear to be from last fall/early winter based on the trees and development of other buildings in the shots. Very nice views from the upper floors.

Triton, I haven't seen that angle before. Uptown and Greenway kind of merge together and look really cool from that perspective. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 4

Well in case we were wondering the official height appears to be 533'.  Compare that to 503' for The Huntington and 501' for One Park Place.  Those are the only residentials that we have that qualify as skyscrapers under the 150 meter definition.

http://skyscrapercenter.com/create.php?search=yes&page=0&type_building=on&status_COM=on&status_UC=on&status_UCT=on&status_OH=on&status_NC=on&status_PRO=on&list_continent=NA&list_country=US&list_city=US-HOU&list_height=150&list_company=&completionsthrough=on&list_year=

Well in case we were wondering the official height appears to be 533'. Compare that to 503' for The Huntington and 501' for One Park Place. Those are the only residentials that we have that qualify as skyscrapers under the 150 meter definition.

http://skyscrapercenter.com/create.php?search=yes&page=0&type_building=on&status_COM=on&status_UC=on&status_UCT=on&status_OH=on&status_NC=on&status_PRO=on&list_continent=NA&list_country=US&list_city=US-HOU&list_height=150&list_company=&completionsthrough=on&list_year=

Are the Four Leaf towers (each 40 stories) not tall enough?

• Like 1

They are not 150 meters. But they are clearly skyscrapers. I have no idea where that 150 meter definition came from.

It's interesting......

They are 40 story buildings on top of, I think (correct me if I am wrong), an underground parking garage. They don't qualify.

OPP is a 37 story building which INCLUDES a 7 story parking garage. So..... Above ground parking structures count but below ground parking structures don't?

Silly.

It's interesting......

They are 40 story buildings on top of, I think (correct me if I am wrong), an underground parking garage. They don't qualify.

OPP is a 37 story building which INCLUDES a 7 story parking garage. So..... Above ground parking structures count but below ground parking structures don't?

Silly.

forgive me, but im not sure whats "silly" about an above ground garage counting towards the height of a building that its a part of. height is measured from street level, not the bottom of the foundation or lowest basement floor or wherever the lowest part of the building happens to start underground. the "strange" thing would be the fact that 7 of the floors in OPP are garage, which are shorter than habitable floors, yet the 40 floors of residential units in the Four Leafs still doesnt amount to the height of OPP. OPPs ceiling heights must be pretty tall and/or Four Leafs ceilings pretty short.

are you saying buildings should be measured from the top of the garage, to the top of the roof, and skip out on all the floors of parking/podium that the towers are sitting on top of?

forgive me, but im not sure whats "silly" about an above ground garage counting towards the height of a building that its a part of. height is measured from street level, not the bottom of the foundation or lowest basement floor or wherever the lowest part of the building happens to start underground. the "strange" thing would be the fact that 7 of the floors in OPP are garage, which are shorter than habitable floors, yet the 40 floors of residential units in the Four Leafs still doesnt amount to the height of OPP. OPPs ceiling heights must be pretty tall and/or Four Leafs ceilings pretty short.

are you saying buildings should be measured from the top of the garage, to the top of the roof, and skip out on all the floors of parking/podium that the towers are sitting on top of?

I am saying that if you dig a hole and build a 7 story garage in it and then put a 40 story building on top of it, the height of the "building" does not count the garage but, if you build the exact same garage above grade and build a building on top of it, the height of the garage does count. It's the same garage and the same building in either event. ...... the amount of "vertical construction" is also the same..... 47 "floors" in either event. But one "building" would be taller than the other. Apparently, it's customary to simply ignore one garage and count the other.

More odd, I could build a building with 30 floors of residences and that sits on a 5 story above grade parking garage which also has 3 stories of the same garage below grade (one continous garage, above and below grade). Apparently, this would be measured only from grade ignoring the below grade portion of a garage that is only partially above grade.

I would be really curious to know what happens when a building is built into a hillside such that the garage is below grad on 3 sides and above grade on the 4th. Is the garage counted in the "height" calculation then?

If the idea is to measure the total height of a building, I find it silly that structures with floors and floors and floors of below grade construction of a parking garage (put there often for aesthetic reasons and often at higher cost than building just "up from grade") are not counted in the height of a building.

But, I am not trained or schooled at all in the industry norms that comprise the way architects and engineers measure who has the biggest "edifice" worldwide.

Edited by UtterlyUrban

I am saying that if you dig a hole and build a 7 story garage in it and then put a 40 story building on top of it, the height of the "building" does not count the garage but, if you build the exact same garage above grade and build a building on top of it, the height of the garage does count. It's the same garage and the same building in either event. ...... the amount of "vertical construction" is also the same..... 47 "floors" in either event. But one "building" would be taller than the other. Apparently, it's customary to simply ignore one garage and count the other.

More odd, I could build a building with 30 floors of residences and that sits on a 5 story above grade parking garage which also has 3 stories of the same garage below grade (one continous garage, above and below grade). Apparently, this would be measured only from grade ignoring the below grade portion of a garage that is only partially above grade.

I would be really curious to know what happens when a building is built into a hillside such that the garage is below grad on 3 sides and above grade on the 4th. Is the garage counted in the "height" calculation then?

If the idea is to measure the total height of a building, I find it silly that structures with floors and floors and floors of below grade construction of a parking garage (put there often for aesthetic reasons and often at higher cost than building just "up from grade") are not counted in the height of a building.

But, I am not trained or schooled at all in the industry norms that comprise the way architects and engineers measure who has the biggest "edifice" worldwide.

Buildings are measured from street level. Simple as that. As for the hillside question, the height would be measured from whichever side the front entrance/address of the building is.

• Like 1

I don't know why this is even up for debate, the height of a building is from the ground level to the highest structural point (i.e. the roof). Now if you're talking about total levels within a building, that is a different story since all levels, mechanical and underground must be counted in the total number of floors for a variety of reasons.

It looks like this is almost ready to get topped out. All the actual occupiable floors are done. This level they're working on now will probably be a mechanical area? No question the last bit of it where rebar cages are sticking up will be the very top and housing for the elevator equipment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

533' is fairly tall. This already has quite a presence looking at it as one drives over the big bridge over 59 on the West Loop. I am looking forward to the windows and other parts getting filled in.

Finally Houston has topped it's previous residential height. I am looking forward to the final product, as it has a big presence approaching the city on 59.
  • Like 2