M Square: Mixed-Use Development At 3200 Post Oak Blvd.

editor

image.png.cb865dd7be8e92956b79df43447c7016.png

^^^ maybe it's just me, but this latest particular mcnair project design... although, quite majestic and stately in appearance... offers no grace/vitality/momentum, like the beautiful/striking previous design.  in fact, this particular rendering reminds me of the above ^^^ christmas nutcracker.  stately... majestic... uniformed... completely at attention.  yet, it seems to be yearning/screaming for the nearest walnut to crack.  i am trying desperately to fall in love with this newest rendition.  maybe it's because of it's priceless location, or it's gorgeous height/scope/scale.  IT NEEDS TO BE UTTERLY MAGNIFICENT!  however, it also requires a bit of warmth and poshness with its proximity to the galleria and uptown's famous waterfall.  maybe, it shall grow on me...   

Edited by monarch
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, monarch said:

^^^ maybe it's just me, but this latest particular mcnair project design... although, quite majestic and stately in appearance... offers no grace/vitality/momentum, like the beautiful/striking previous design.

You’re not alone @monarch I too prefer the previous design as it appeared to be more sophisticated and upscale. This one is nice as well; reminds me of something you’d see in Dallas. Nevertheless, good to see the project is moving forward.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Any idea when groundbreaking is scheduled? One other question of a trivial nature. When a building is mixed use which I understand means residential/office/ and commercial I suppose it cannot be classified as residential or office. Is the classification based on the percentage use?

What do you mean by "classified as residential or office"? Do you mean building codes, or what? Zoning doesn't apply here of course...

Parking requirements? Given the location, I believe they are zero regardless of use. 

Edited by Texasota

14 minutes ago, Texasota said:

What do you mean by "classified as residential or office"? Do you mean building codes, or what? Zoning doesn't apply here of course...

Parking requirements? Given the location, I believe they are zero regardless of use. 

I'm referring to a colloquial classification ( if one exists) for mixed use buildings. I suspect there isn't one but seeing if anyone knows for certain. As for parking requirements, didn't mention that.

Yeah I threw that in as something that could be impacted by use classification because I didn't really understand what you were looking for.

I think colloquially most people would refer to a building by whatever the primary use is. So an apartment building with retail is still an apartment building. If it's an even split, or if the secondary use is particularly prominent? It probably depends on the individual building. Is the new Midtown apartment building with a Whole Foods an apartment building, or is it the Midtown Whole Foods? 

Does it vary depending on the city in question's recent history (or lack) of mixed use buildings? What about traditional, small-scale mixed use, like a two-story building with a storefront on the ground floor and residential on the second floor?

Is the term "mixed use" itself a borderline meaningless descriptor for returning to a more traditional building pattern that begins to heal the damage done by American-style Euclidean zoning? (...yes...)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

You’re not alone @monarch I too prefer the previous design as it appeared to be more sophisticated and upscale. This one is nice as well; reminds me of something you’d see in Dallas. Nevertheless, good to see the project is moving forward.

If this were in Dallas it would be half as tall. Don't forget, they haven't built an office building over 25 stories since the 1980's. The Pepto-Bismol-colored Galleria Financial Center was the last time they soared to 26 stories, and to find something this tall, you'd have to go back to Cityplace. Downtown Austin might be a better comparison with the hotel stacked on top of office.

Never mind, didn't realize the taller building had no office.

Edited by H-Town Man

What goes into a total design change like this?? I guess rule of thumb is it’s alway about the money, but without knowing anything about anything it doesn’t look like this is “cheaper” to me. 

really wish they would have stuck with the original design. This to me look more office than a stylish hotel.  At least it’s tall. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

It should be the 8th tallest behind 1100 Louisiana, and pushing CenterPoint Energy to #9. A real stand out structure close to the Williams Tower and the west side in general. 

[EDIT:  Never mind... I see you used Wikipedia numbers]:  Looking at Emporis, it seems it would be tied with 609 Main for 7th tallest.  Did Emporis leave something off the list (which they have been known to do)?  According to Emporis:

1.  600 Travis  1,002
  2. Wells Fargo Plaza   992
  3. Williams Tower   901
  4. TC Energy Center   780
  5. Heritage Plaza   762
  6. Enterprise Plaza (1100 Louisiana)    756
  7. 609 Main / McNair Rosewood Hotel   752

FWIW, per Wikipedia:

1. 600 Travis   1,002
  2. Wells Fargo Plaza   992
  3. Williams Tower   901
  4. TC Energy Center    780