M Square: Mixed-Use Development At 3200 Post Oak Blvd.

editor

16 hours ago, HoustonBoy said:

So is this under construction?

No. This is just street and drainage work. It is most likely being done in preparation of the the tower. Others said bids are currently going out for the tower. This type of work was done for The Post Oak before it was built. I bet this one breaks ground first half of next year, assuming the bids are selected this year.

• Like 7

Looks like they are doing the prep work for the tower(s) which is a great step in the right direction.

I know we can look at oil prices or the pandemic and ask why are these buildings going up, but if we look at perceived risk in the markets and the volatility of equities, it kind of makes sense for people to pour money into real estate in relatively hot areas (I would argue Uptown is scorching hot in terms of development). Don't trust the market to keep millions on millions invested in it for multiple years? Need a place to stash money to escape capital gains/estate tax? Hello real estate and real estate development! 😂

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 6

If you are native to Houston you have witnessed the cyclical nature of the oil industry and its impact on all things Houston, including real estate of course, going back many years. I still remember trying to get my career as an accountant off the ground in the mid 80’s when the local unemployment rate was 12%. Almost had to leave the city to find a job but got lucky at the last minute. And there have been several downturns (including this one) ever since. And without exception, everyone of those downturns was an opportunity to buy into Houston’s economy at a discount and reap big rewards later on. I don’t see why this downturn would be any different...

Edited by Mark Resident
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paco Jones said:

Storm water retention. Lately it is becoming more common to build a cast-in-place concrete detention vault below buildings. Knight Road (Barvin) and Bowen are examples. Block 98 was originally designed with one but later eliminated. 

The ones in the picture are pre-cast. They are sealed together and buried after the storm lines are tied in. 

^^^ @Paco Jones much obliged, kind sir!

• Like 2

Cultural tourism has been defined as 'the movement of persons to cultural attractions away from their normal place of residence, with the intention to gather new information and experiences to satisfy their cultural needs'.

With all that is happening on Post Oak Blvd and Uptown i am sure more and more will be added to this area...but for now we have A.D. Players at The George Theater 

but in a weird way you could say The Galleria is a cultural attraction too i guess! haha

• Like 3

On 10/9/2020 at 12:04 AM, monarch said:

ac6440113c9f11195b93781bd3d16786c6b127f0

houston-hotel-logos-368x128_black.ashx

Rosewood Houston will open in 2024 in the exclusive Uptown District near several of Houston’s most popular sites and cultural attractions including The Galleria, Texas’ largest luxury shopping destination, and the Texas Medical Center, the largest medical center in the world.

The Rosewood property will consist of 150 guest rooms in an exclusive mixed-use and high-rise development. In addition to the hotel, the six-acre site will include 80 full-service luxury residences atop the hotel, multi-family residences, lifestyle-driven amenities, and retail and office space in Houston’s highly covetable Uptown District.

Rosewood-Abu-Dhabi.jpg

^^^ rosewood abu dhabi.  

Wow, very cool !  The tall tower looks like at least 50 stories.  Anyone else get that number or close to that ?  This will be such a neat and upscale addition to the area.  Exciting !

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

They completed the utility and road reconstruction and stopped. There hasn't been any activity in a month.

7FRKkX3.jpg

Ten utility poles in a very small area.  It's like they are trying to make our city as ugly as possible.  If they are too cheap to bury the power lines like first world cities would do, they should at least try to minimize the number of poles.

• Like 6

On 12/13/2020 at 6:47 PM, rechlin said:

Ten utility poles in a very small area.  It's like they are trying to make our city as ugly as possible.  If they are too cheap to bury the power lines like first world cities would do, they should at least try to minimize the number of poles.

Not particularly a fan of overhead wires either, but let's keep some context.  

1) Most of those poles were there before this development started.

2) This is along what is effectively nothing more than a service alley.  I can't think of a better place to have utility infrastructure

3) It's pretty clear this development itself will have underground electrical service. To the extent this development has added poles it appears to be for the purpose of bringing in underground service.

4) Plenty of other "first world" cities have overhead electrical wires to a similar extent as Houston. We are not unique in that respect.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hot damn that's a huge update. @Paco Jonescoming in clutch again. 

I'm counting around 52 floors with a good amount of taller lobby areas, so it's closer to around 56-58 stories in height. Might give Transco/Williams (whatever you want to call it) a run for its money. Hell, it might be our first 800 ft. tower which is surprising considering the amount of big ones Houston has put up.

IMO the design is much better than the previous one, personally never liked the jenga tower designs so this is a welcome change. 

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 9